tantalisingly close to getting summer bike out.

gazman428
gazman428 Posts: 111
edited March 2014 in Road general
The weather today has had me debating getting the carbon bike without mudguards out!

ive seen sense, a few more weeks and the hack can make way for the beast.....

Comments

• zx6man
    zx6man Posts: 1,092
    Mine came out on Sautrday, the sun shone on it too....
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    Mine came out yesterday ... did 20 miles then put it away and got the other one out and did 20 miles on that ...
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,919
    Mine came out on Saturday - don't think it's dissolved. :lol:
    Was out of necessity at the winter one is being serviced due to lateral play in the cranks.
  • My friend surprisingly turned up on his summer bike for a blast round the New Forest on Sunday. Wasn't expecting it with the weather forecast. We all coo'ed over it and picked up to confirm its carbon goodness!!! Took a bit of a battering in the crosswinds and caught him gazing at it forlornly on the roof rack as we drove home in the rain (we were in the car behind).
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Probably tomorrow and Wednesday here in cornwall ... Saturday was nice but Sunday and today horrible
  • Gpfanuk
    Gpfanuk Posts: 142
    Saturday night - best bike checked over and sat in the hallway ready for the Polocini winter sprinter. Sunday morning bike still sat in the hallway whilst I was out on "the tractor". Couldn't bring myself to get it covered in mud, grit and cow products. Ah well, maybe next weekend!
    Muddy Fox Hardtail Circa 1998
    Triban3
    Felt AR5
    ANC Halfords Peugeot (restored and ridden at Eroica 2015)
    A box of bits that will make a fine Harry Hall when I get round to it.
    Raleigh tandem of as yet unknown vintage - ongoing restoration for Eroica 2016
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    not sure what its like with you lot but round here the fields are so saturated that even the slightest bit of rain turns the roads into rivers now that the drains seem to have given up and are just pouring water everywhere.

If it rains or not the bike will get a soaking!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • MartinGT
    MartinGT Posts: 475
    I will be racing on mine in a couple of weeks, until then she stays wrapped up.

Still too much sh!te on the roads around here :(
  • pinarellokid
    pinarellokid Posts: 1,208
    took my sunday bike out yesterday and did 60 miles on her.. and it felt awesome.

all packed away again now though
    Specialized S Works SL2 . Campagnolo Record 11spd. rolling on Campag Zonda wheels

http://app.strava.com/athletes/881211
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    I'm off work tomorrow and am sorely tempted to give mine a run. However you just cant tell what the roads are going to be like. Round here its bone dry in some places and still flooded in others. Head to high ground I think.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Dry roads today so managed a nice relaxed 40. Forecast good for tomorrow so might head for the tarka trail
  • btiratsoo
    btiratsoo Posts: 204
    Unfortunately I only have the one bike but I have to say Saturday and today were exceptional! (Even with the roads round Winchester being rivers still)
  • Mine is sat waiting for it's new wheels so I can fit the new cassette to them so I can tune the new rear mech!!!!!!Iit's a lovely day in Bristol and I would have taken it over the bridge to do some hills in prep for Majorca! It'll be the aluminium without mudguards I for me today!
  • chris_bass
    At the risk of getting a bit girly, the flowers are starting to bloom, the temperature (although cold in the mornings) is starting to rise and the mornings and evenings are getting much lighter, spring is on its way!

And, after the winter we have had, I think we are due a long dry summer too!
  • florerider
    florerider Posts: 1,112
    only just got the winter bike in shape :x

seem to have had lots of time on the summer one this winter, but all indoors :roll:
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Summer bike is a definite for tomorrow. The only debate now is bib shorts or tights.. Forecast is saying it may be up to 11 degrees by the time I get out.
  • Mine has been out all winter. It still works beautifully. Maintain your bike properly and periodically service it and use it whenever you want. Never want to use a winter bike, I don't see the point. (I apologise if this has already been talked about a million times, but I'm new to this forum so I have to mention it at least once).
  • Terrytibbs wrote:
    Mine has been out all winter. It still works beautifully. Maintain your bike properly and periodically service it and use it whenever you want. Never want to use a winter bike, I don't see the point. (I apologise if this has already been talked about a million times, but I'm new to this forum so I have to mention it at least once).

You ride your best bike every day in winter? How much life do you get out of your rims and drivechain?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • andyeb
    andyeb Posts: 407
    Terrytibbs wrote:
    Mine has been out all winter. It still works beautifully. Maintain your bike properly and periodically service it and use it whenever you want. Never want to use a winter bike, I don't see the point. (I apologise if this has already been talked about a million times, but I'm new to this forum so I have to mention it at least once).

You ride your best bike every day in winter? How much life do you get out of your rims and drivechain?

I only have one road bike, so have no choice what to ride through the winter. After every ride I clean and dry it completely, degrease/relube the drive chain, pay particular attention to digging grit out of the brake blocks and cleaning up the rims.

...and even then, I've become concerned about the rate of wear on the rims. Recently switched from the stock Shimano 105 brake blocks to Swisstop and this seems to have helped slow the wear rate.

So I conclude, it doesn't matter how much you look after your all-year bike, winter still takes it's toll on it.
  • socistep
    socistep Posts: 88
    same here andyeb - my CAAD8 has taken an absolute battering over the last few months, I've not been as good at cleaning it and 1500 miles in dec/jan/feb have left the drivetrain in a poor state
  • chris_bass
    I heard them mention something I hadn't heard in ages on the radio this morning.....

High pressure!!
  • w00dster
    w00dster Posts: 880
    Summer bike again today, nice ride but a bit windy. Was 11 degrees when I went out.
    I did wear bib shorts, probably a bit too windy, was a tad cold when coming back into the head wind. Bike is cleaned, chainset lubed and is ready to go out again on Saturday morning.
    I have Ultegra 6800 and I have noticed that the paint on the big ring is starting to look "used". But thats the wear and tear that I expect, I'm actually saving up at the moment replace the Ultegra with Dura Ace (mech). The Ultegra will then replace the Tiagra on my winter bike. If I wasn't goint to be replacing the groupo I would probably be using the winter bike still. I expect I'll need to buy a new Ultegra chainset when I swap them across, but the enjoyment I'm getting now makes it worth it.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Had mine out yesterday and again tomorrow,will defo be out again at the weekend as it's going to be mid teens on the temp front with a day of sunshine on Sunday.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.