Converting Raceface Respond Double to Single

x-isle
x-isle Posts: 794
edited March 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
I'm currently running a 2x9 setup and looking to ditch the front mech and run 1x9. It's on my Alpine 160 which is only used for gravity stuff which is why I don't need the granny.

The Crank is a Raceface Respond Double, which is really a triple mount but Raceface put the outer has a bashguard.

I'm running a Gamut Double Bash and Chainguide and looking to switch to a single ring and replace the front mech with a full chainguide.

Anybody converted a Raceface Respond to a single and run a chainguide?

Be interested to hear any recommendations. I'm thinking that running the single on on the middle mount will be ok for a chainline, but wondering if the granny mount would foul any chainguide, so interested to hear any guide recommendations too.

Thanks!
Craig Rogers

Comments

• nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    so what is the question?

just be aware if you have a 73mm BB you might find that a BB mount guide does not work.

otherwise just remove the granny ring. lock the mech in one place and go ride.
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • x-isle
    x-isle Posts: 794
    nicklouse wrote:

:lol: That's cheating. I want to remove the mech and put a full guide on. The mount isn't BB, it's old school ISCG.

The question is, will the granny mounts on the crank foul a chain guide.
    Craig Rogers
  • nicklouse
    nicklouse Posts: 50,675
    they might they might not. too many variables of which you have not provided.

you would do better posting in buying with a which device/guide should i buy to fit my x bike from year z etc....
    "Do not follow where the path may lead, Go instead where there is no path, and Leave a Trail."
    Parktools :?:SheldonBrown
  • Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    x-isle wrote:
    nicklouse wrote:

:lol: That's cheating. I want to remove the mech and put a full guide on. The mount isn't BB, it's old school ISCG.

The question is, will the granny mounts on the crank foul a chain guide.
    You could always saw them off if they did...
  • BG2000
    BG2000 Posts: 517
    You shouldn't need to saw off the granny ring mounts - the Respond has quite recessed mounts already, which is why you need the black plastic spacer behind the granny ring.

If you do find the mounts are catching very slightly on your chain guide, don't forget you have a small amount of side to side adjustment by moving the bearing preload spacers (red, black or white rubber coated spacers that sit on the axle) onto the drive side. And if you've got a 68mm shell and the RaceFace Team DH BB cups, you can get away with putting all three 2.5mm BB cup spacers on the driveside, although RaceFace don't support this (I've done it myself and it's been fine for the last 2 years of hard riding).