An Iron / HB related unexplained matter

npr50
npr50 Posts: 23

Hello to you,

I have an Iron / HB related unexplained matter that I wish to understand how it is possible - Will very much appreciate a possible serious explanation to that.

Enclosed is a summary of blood tests results from several periodical test taken. last one this week - (yellow are downs, green are ups) Generally, from 2008 to 2013 diet was vegetarian (non-heme iron supplements where consumed)
in the last 5 month, foods reach in Heme iron (such as mussels, much higher than beef steaks..) were consumed. Cycling performance was not bad at all and expected to see an increase in Iron, HB, HTC..
But instead - these went down to 5 years low.. how can this be.. ??

( Also, I'm 70kg and consume over 100 gr of whole protein daily - do not understand what's this LOW protein total mean )

Thanks a lot!

Comments

• me-109
    me-109 Posts: 1,915
    Your 2014 iron value is not much less than the 2012 value, which is only slightly down on the 2010 value. Therefore you have a certain variation that could be due to dietary variation or exercise-induced loss. Perhaps the high values were nearer the time of consumption of iron supplements (if not taken daily). I would have suggested that the supplements gave you more iron than you are getting in you current diet, but those two lower values suggest that that is not the case.

The higher ferritin protein count is likely to be from increased consumption of animal protein. Maybe more regular tests would confirm this, but perhaps the ferritin will give a 'more smooth' release of iron without the spikes that may have been present in the two years that show the high readings.

On a positive note, your cholesterol has gone way down!
  • npr50
    Me-109 wrote:
    Your 2014 iron value is not much less than the 2012 value, which is only slightly down on the 2010 value. Therefore you have a certain variation that could be due to dietary variation or exercise-induced loss. Perhaps the high values were nearer the time of consumption of iron supplements (if not taken daily). I would have suggested that the supplements gave you more iron than you are getting in you current diet, but those two lower values suggest that that is not the case.

The higher ferritin protein count is likely to be from increased consumption of animal protein. Maybe more regular tests would confirm this, but perhaps the ferritin will give a 'more smooth' release of iron without the spikes that may have been present in the two years that show the high readings.

On a positive note, your cholesterol has gone way down!

Thank you Me 109!

The cholesterol thing is another unexplained thing.. I expected to see Chol parameter getting worse
    If you will have further thoughts, please share with me (I asked for a mtg. with a hematologist but not sure how smarter I'll be after such a mtg)
  • Hi

Serum Iron tends to fluctuate quite widely from day to day, so I wouldn't worry too much about this as your Ferritin levels are ok (this is the storage form of iron and is more indicative of true iron levels in the body).

I note that the potassium is not reported, yet it was with all the other results. It's very unlikely that this would not have been measured, so the result has been omitted for some reason. This is likely to be due to haemolysis of the blood sample, or it was stored overnight before testing, without being separated. You should enquire about this, as either scenario can affect some other results too. In which case, have the tests run again.
  • npr50
    Hi

Serum Iron tends to fluctuate quite widely from day to day, so I wouldn't worry too much about this as your Ferritin levels are ok (this is the storage form of iron and is more indicative of true iron levels in the body).

I note that the potassium is not reported, yet it was with all the other results. It's very unlikely that this would not have been measured, so the result has been omitted for some reason. This is likely to be due to haemolysis of the blood sample, or it was stored overnight before testing, without being separated. You should enquire about this, as either scenario can affect some other results too. In which case, have the tests run again.

Thank you oldhairylegs !
    I had results 3-4 hours after the test in the morning so it was not stored overnight, but there was an indication that certain things (potassium too) could not be tested. (family doctor said they might have been clotted)
    Anyway I am supposed to have another test - should do it after 3-4 days of rest for the CPK