Distorted wheel rim on handbuilt wheel?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited February 2014 in Workshop
The Velocity Aerohead rim I used on a front wheel build has distorted slightly around the join. The join clicks when applying the brake and there is a small wobble which is impossible to remove on the truing stand.
The spoke pattern is radial.
Is this normal or have I used too much spoke tension? Will I need to replace the rim and start again?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• How much tension have you put?
    left the forum March 2023
  • If it's the join I'd imagine you can warranty the rim. That said I'll defer to ugo on yhis
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    How big is is wobble 0.5mm 0.3mm or 2mm. 900-1000N is enough for a front wheel and if you have used to much tension the entire rim will not be straight (if you have passed the tension limit on the rim).

I have built with this rim a couple of time and been underwhelmed by it, it just is not well made enough and is not very stiff. The DT Swiss RR415 is stiffer and better made for a rim of the same weight. You maybe be able to warrenty it but I would go to BLB direct but you may be told no warranty. There is no offical warranty on rims as far as I know.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • Warranty is the wrong word (my mistake)

It more a possible manufacturing defect.
  • I have built with this rim a couple of time and been underwhelmed by it, it just is not well made enough and is not very stiff. The DT Swiss RR415 is stiffer and better made for a rim of the same weight.

It's a good rim and he built it for his wife who weighs 3 stones
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I ride these rims (RR415)and I am 80kg 28H built up with Lasers and they are quite stiff and certainly stiffer than an equivalent build with the aeroheads - I have tried. Maybe the aerohead rims I had were not typical - I hit the tension limit at about 1150N meaning I could put no more tension on them than I would on a RR415 rim and given it is less stiff that is not a good combo for most people except very light riders. If I can't rely on the next rim to be as good as the last then I am not that interested.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • on-yer-bike
    How much tension have you put?
    On average 107 - 119Kgf. 1040 - 1190N read by a Park tension meter. I rode on them on Saturday for 55 miles and I am 74 kg at the moment. I read here that the Park tension meter over reads by about 10%. Im not blaming the rim necessarily, its probably more to do with my lack of building experience. The spokes are 24 DT Revs radial. I have also noticed that there is uneven brake markings on the rim as though the rim is not parallel to the brake pad. There is also slight distortion around the spoke holes.

I have rebuilt the rear wheel with DT Comps after only riding on it for 17 miles on the basis of Ugo's advice. The rear only went very slightly out of true but there is no distortion around the join.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • on-yer-bike
    How big is is wobble 0.5mm 0.3mm or 2mm. 900-1000N is enough for a front wheel and if you have used to much tension the entire rim will not be straight (if you have passed the tension limit on the rim).

I have built with this rim a couple of time and been underwhelmed by it, it just is not well made enough and is not very stiff. The DT Swiss RR415 is stiffer and better made for a rim of the same weight. You maybe be able to warrenty it but I would go to BLB direct but you may be told no warranty. There is no offical warranty on rims as far as I know.
    The wobble is less than than 1 mm but the joint is not smooth.
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • The joint is sleeved, so it won't be as smooth as Mavic or H plus Son rims... that per se is only a cosmetic issue. Sleeve joint rims are actually better than welded rims as the weld could potentially crack if the rim overheats, while the sleeve will not bulge.
    It's a matter of whether you have a defective rim or it's just a little imperfection in the build or in the rim... I am not saying that Velocity rims are the best out there in terms of finish, but if you are into the performance of them, rather than the cosmetics, they are as good as any out there, pretty robust and long lasting... and they don't crack at the spoke hole, as other rims do... :wink:
    If BLB had an all black version with 32 holes I would fit them to my bike tomorrow
  • on-yer-bike
    Im not worried about the cosmetics. I dont like the feel and noise caused by braking but perhaps it will wear in. The rim became like this over the course of the ride. What is the A23 rim like?
    Pegoretti
    Colnago
    Cervelo
    Campagnolo
  • Im not worried about the cosmetics. I dont like the feel and noise caused by braking but perhaps it will wear in. The rim became like this over the course of the ride. What is the A23 rim like?

Wider, a bit duller, nicer for long descents, but it needs tubeless rim tape... something like Stans 21 mm