would you?? advice needed!

ashleydwsmith
ashleydwsmith Posts: 693
edited February 2014 in Road general
im riding the london 100 this year for the red cross.

i currently have a GT GTR ELITE which i believe is a bit small for me. foot overlaps the front wheel and knees hit the bars sometimes when out the saddle climbing.

id love a look 675 but cant get credit, so would you sell both road and mountain bikes to fund the purchase?

cheers

ash

Comments

• DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    im riding the london 100 this year for the red cross.

i currently have a GT GTR ELITE which i believe is a bit small for me. foot overlaps the front wheel and knees hit the bars sometimes when out the saddle climbing.

Neither of those two things have anything to do with how well your bike fits you.

Is it comfortable?
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • I guess but surely knees hitting the bars would dictate it's too small. As would foot overlap on the front wheel. I.e too close to the bars?
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Roughly speaking a bike is too small if you can't get the saddle high enough and in the correct position. The position and height of the bars also indicates fit.
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    You get foot overlap on loads of bikes - that’s a geometry thing and nothing to do with fit. Take a look at Planet X’s bikes. And knees hitting the bars can usually be overcome by fitting a longer stem.

As the poster above says it’s saddle height that’s the biggy.
  • Saddle height feels right. Legs are good, did have to change to a shorter stem as was too stretched on the old zipp one in there. Also got more rise on the stem now.

Oh I don't know I hate bike fitting!
  • Primus84
    Primus84 Posts: 109
    If you had to fit a shorter stem to your current bike to make it fit, then how do you think the frame itself is too small? If you had a larger frame you would be even more stretched out.
  • So is it right that my knees hit the frame when climbing?
  • Primus84
    Do they hit the frame or the bars? You said bars above but frame now.
  • Sorry my mistake bars. Not frame
  • Primus84
    Your answers seem to be creating quite the enigma, the bike was too stretched out so you needed a shorter stem.

Now you think the bike is too small and would like a larger one - therefore even more distance to the bars.

So if you buy the larger frame you'll need an even shorter stem to bring the bars closer.

I cannot see how you can be hitting the bars with your knees.

What size bike and how tall are you?
  • 5 10 exactly riding a gt that is 51 cm center to center on the seat post
  • Primus84
    What length effective top tube?
  • Primus84
    Never mind - found the answer is 54.5cm ETT.

At your height with that size bike the fit should be fine. From looking through your post history it seems to be the way you're sitting on the bike rather than the bike itself.

I cannot visualise how you could possibly hit the bars with your knees though!
  • Primus, cheers for that. Maybe I'm leaning too far forward when out the saddle climbing? What would you say I need to do?
  • Primus84
    You must be leaning way forward over the front of the bike? Maybe keep your backside further back over the saddle when standing?

Watch this: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9kTxj0_pBxY
  • So interestingly that would mean I have my bars too low or my reach is too short!

Why is it soooooooo difficult to get right!
  • Primus84
    Try going back to the slightly longer stem now you're more used to the position of a road bike.

It doesn't just mean bars too low or reach too short, it could all be to do with your position - or a combination of both!

You probably need someone to cycle next to you and watch what's going on!
  • Will do that when I get some money. Unfortunately sold the old one!