Do you pay more for fashionable brand?

1964johnr
1964johnr Posts: 179
edited February 2014 in Road general
Just paid £1250 for a Ribble Gran Fondo with 105 set up and Mavic Aksium wheels. Seems like a good quality Italian made carbon frame. It seemed to me that more fashionable brands with a similar set up were a few hundred pounds more. Do you pay extra for the brand or are you getting a better frame?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    1964johnr wrote:
    Just paid £1250 for a Ribble Gran Fondo with 105 set up and Mavic Aksium wheels. Seems like a good quality Italian made carbon frame. It seemed to me that more fashionable brands with a similar set up were a few hundred pounds more. Do you pay extra for the brand or are you getting a better frame?

Source?

Better is a relative term, but in my opinion you get what you pay for (to a certain extent).
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I doubt its made in Italy ?

And yes you do pay extra for a fashionable brand. Its supply and demand innit ? And fashionable brands usually have more overheads - so they might have a pro cycle team or two that they supply. More ads. More research.
  • Slip of the keyboard. The frame wasn't made in Italy. I don't mind where it was made as long as it's good.
  • do you wear asda trainers or nike?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Buckie2k5 wrote:
    do you wear asda trainers or nike?

Nobody with taste is going to wear Nike. Too tainted with the stench of sweat shop exploitation.

I have a Gran Fondo and a Look 585. The Look is better but not over two grand better. Both bikes are great!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Grill
    Rolf F wrote:
    Buckie2k5 wrote:

Nobody with taste is going to wear Nike. Too tainted with the stench of sweat shop exploitation.

I have a Gran Fondo and a Look 585. The Look is better but not over two grand better. Both bikes are great!

Until Asda makes trainers that are more pimp than my purple and leopard print Nikes, I'm gonna have to disagree. :P
  • Rolf F wrote:
    Buckie2k5 wrote:

But brands are nothing to do with taste or morals, people buy them because it says they've money to spend. They couldn't give a monkeys about exploitation.
  • rolf_f
    Rolf F wrote:
    Buckie2k5 wrote:

But brands are nothing to do with taste or morals, people buy them because it says they've money to spend. They couldn't give a monkeys about exploitation.

Well, it says at least that someone has lent them money to spend. Whether or not they have the money is another matter. All a bit tragic really.
    Grill wrote:
    Rolf F wrote:

Until Asda makes trainers that are more pimp than my purple and leopard print Nikes, I'm gonna have to disagree. :P

Lol - I think your reasoning went downhill with the purple and leopard print bit. If these exist then I demand pictures! :lol:
  • Grill
    Boom! :D
    487911_4411636657572_2042564121_n_zps51b85ad4.jpg
  • rolf_f
    Oh my! :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    What constitutes a fashionable brand?

Specialized, Trek and Giant seem popular but I would not say they were fashionable.
    They are exactly as fashionable as the Emperors New Clothes (google that one kiddies) lol.

Other brands are mostly just decent (established) brands rather than being fashionable in my eyes.
    You just pick the one/ones you like.

Ribble just get cheap frames from the far east and bolt components on don't they?
    Nothing wrong with that but its not the same as an established company that innovates and evolves.
    Ribble etc.would not even exist without the bigger brands.

I would pay more for a better brand, and there are loads I consider better than Ribble.
    I never buy anything because it is fashionable, although its much easier to buy something you want when it is in fashion ;-)

Seems to me that the OP just wants to justify his purchase at the expense of anyone not buying a bargain bucket bike.

Someone buying say a Cannondale would probably not have the same reaction to the concept of paying a lot more for something Italian and expensive.
  • rolf_f
    Carbonator wrote:

That doesn't really make sense. Without the bigger brands, companies like Ribble would be the bigger brands.

Ultimately, there is nothing different enough between a Ribble and a Cannondale to make any difference to a persons enjoyment of a ride and that's what really counts isn't it? Just the cycling.
  • Mountaindancer
    Mountaindancer Posts: 23
    edited February 2014
    You miss the point. Giant and similar brands manufacture and innovate. Ribble and other companies assemble from components available to them. This can never improve the breed.
    I can cope with the shoes, but coupled with pink trousers, really? :shock:
    I don't do Cold, Wet, Uphill or into the wind!!
  • Ribble etc fill the massive gap in the market between budget and high end.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    where do you think cheap asda trainers are made,. bearing in mind they are so c h e a p ?
  • Grill wrote:

I wouldn't normally do this, but.....

OMG. YOU ARE NOT SERIOUS :shock:

A red shell suit?
  • Grill
    Actually they're red jeans. I haven't owned a shell suit since 1999 (it was a pimp Wu-Tang Clan number). I also have an amazing pair of furry zebra Adidas trainers as well as matching zebra print skinny jeans.

I fear the day I start dressing just like everyone else...
  • Grill wrote:

Are you related to Rio Ferdinand?

Brap, brap!!
  • Anonymous
    Grill wrote:

That sounds like you dress oddly (not saying stuff in the photo is odd) just to be different.
    So if everyone wore red jeans and purple boots would you wear blue jeans and black shoes?

Not just clothes, but I tend to buy things mainly because I like them.
  • rolf_f
    You miss the point. Giant and similar brands manufacture and innovate. Ribble and other companies assemble from components available to them. This can never improve the breed.
    I can cope with the shoes, but coupled with pink trousers, really? :shock:

No I don't. The innovation is just a means to maintain market share. Without any competition (whether from companies who innovate by coming up with new shapes or the small number who come up with genuine innovations) there is no incentive to innovate. If Giant was the only cycle company in the world and always would be, there would be no need for it to innovate so it wouldn't.

The shoes need the trousers. This is where you miss the point......
  • Anonymous
    Rolf F wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

That doesn't really make sense. Without the bigger brands, companies like Ribble would be the bigger brands.

Ultimately, there is nothing different enough between a Ribble and a Cannondale to make any difference to a persons enjoyment of a ride and that's what really counts isn't it? Just the cycling.

The way I see it is that there are frames being built in the far east because of the bigger brands.
    Ribble just took advantage of that.
    Nothing wrong with that but its a bit parasitic not innovative.
    There Configurator seems great though and I do not have a problem with Ribble at all.
    Wife nearly bought one and I would not rule out getting one myself.

As to Ribble v Cannondale as an example. I 100% agree that it is only enjoyment of the bike that counts.
    Loads of people will enjoy having a Cannondale more than a Ribble though.

The problem for me is when people buy a Ribble or Triban etc. and then pretty much sl4g off more expensive brands and people that buy them and the OP is doing exactly that with the title of this thread.
  • Sawilson
    Sawilson Posts: 171
    The title of this thread should actually be
    " Do you pay less for a open mould carbon framed bike with no research and development costs"
    The answer is undoubtably yes, this does not necessarily mean all other brands are overpriced.
    I am sure Ribbles bikes are very good quality and value for money.
    One of the first answers I read, when I joined the forum was " Planet X, Carbon Frame, Ultegra, £999, Nuff Said ! "
    I found this a very narrow minded comment, saying that they where more interested in bang for book than anything else.
    If I had a limited budget and a Ribble suited, I would by one, but I am not daft enough to think that it would be equal to the " More Fashionable Brands" when I say equal I do not mean fiscally, I mean R and D which pushes this sport forward !
    Wouldn't the TDF look boring if they all had Ribble frames !
    Nuff Said !
    Just Kidding !

Specailized Roubaix Comp 2014
    Lapierre Zesty 2011
    Garmin 510
  • Grill
    Carbonator wrote:
    Grill wrote:

That sounds like you dress oddly (not saying stuff in the photo is odd) just to be different.
    So if everyone wore red jeans and purple boots would you wear blue jeans and black shoes?

Not just clothes, but I tend to buy things mainly because I like them.

Ahh the old 'confirming by way of being anti-conformist' argument. Sadly for you I only buy what I like, not what I think others don't. I love loud and bright clothing, especially shoes. I have pretty much every colour of the rainbow in my closet, from yellow podium shoes to bright pink skate shoes. When I say 'like everyone else' I'm of course referring to what people wear on a nice evening out, which is just dross.

Don't worry though, I do happen to possess many pairs of black shoes and blue jeans, but there's nothing wrong with mixing it up. Would you expect anything less from a guy with a pink bike?
  • Big brand, exclusive brand, stack em high sell em cheap brand, little known brand, whatever, I'd like to know about the quality control on those carbon frames.
  • Sprool
    Sprool Posts: 1,022
    Big brand, exclusive brand, stack em high sell em cheap brand, little known brand, whatever, I'd like to know about the quality control on those carbon frames.
    Very good point, since most CF frames will come from same bunch of factories in Taiwan, and be provided to most of the western cycle brands, quality control on the frames is the main differentiator between good, average and poor. Frames falling below the standards of the premium brands will then get sold at cheaper prices through smaller outlets for less money; think cheap cf frames from China via ebay. You may get a bargain, you could get a disaster, consistency will not be there in terms of quality of finish, weight, mechanical properties. Spending a significant amount more via a big brand should give you more security in terms of quality and service level if a problem develops later on.
  • Grill
    Sprool wrote:
    Big brand, exclusive brand, stack em high sell em cheap brand, little known brand, whatever, I'd like to know about the quality control on those carbon frames.
    Very good point, since most CF frames will come from same bunch of factories in Taiwan, and be provided to most of the western cycle brands, quality control on the frames is the main differentiator between good, average and poor. Frames falling below the standards of the premium brands will then get sold at cheaper prices through smaller outlets for less money; think cheap cf frames from China via ebay. You may get a bargain, you could get a disaster, consistency will not be there in terms of quality of finish, weight, mechanical properties. Spending a significant amount more via a big brand should give you more security in terms of quality and service level if a problem develops later on.

Don't forget that with proper brands you get propriety layups as well as better grades of carbon. If you want to see the difference in quality then look inside the seat tube of a Ribble or Planet X and then compare it to say a Cannondale or Scott.
  • Buy a good second hand bike .
  • iPete
    iPete Posts: 6,076
    What is all this chat, we all know home built fixed bikes are the only fashionable bikes in town. 76% proven fact!

Trundles back to lfgss...

p.s epic shoes grill :D