Does this bike fit me?

benfromshildon
benfromshildon Posts: 7
edited February 2014 in Road general
Hi Folks,

At risk of receiving wrath due to another sizing thread…

I've just bought a M/L Giant TCR Composite. Really happy with the bike, but i wonder if it's a little too long? I'm used to a triban T5a (57cm) which is a very relaxed fit, so i'm wondering if it's just a case of getting used to it. I'm 5'11" with 32" inside leg - so according to the giant sizing charts and the chap in the Giant shop i should be on a M/L frame.

The giant doesn't feel uncomfortable - i'm just stretched out more, with maybe a bit more weight on my hands/shoulders, but not much.

Anyway, i took a picture and drew some lines on it to get an idea of my angles and alignment etc. (ignore the lines on the forks - that was for something else!)

What do folks think… does this look ok?

Thanks for any insight - it's much appreciated.
Ben

Comments

• imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Difficult to tell from that pic as the camera angle is not 90deg and your leg is not extended, which gives us no idea of relative seat height. Having said that, you appear to be pretty upright, not exactly 'stretched out'....
  • Hi Imposter,

Thanks for the reply - and yes, fair comment regarding the angle of the picture. I've attached a couple of other ones which may help (forgive the snazzy socks and old school trouser tucking in - my dad taught me everything i know!) I think the height of the saddle is fine, my leg is slightly bent at the 6 o clock position, and looking at height above the handle bars it seems ok (see pic attached).

You're right though, i don't look particularly stretched out - which makes me think it's probably a case of getting used to a different geometry.

I'll maybe try and get a better picture this evening if people will struggle to comment.

Thanks
    ben.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    From the bottom photo you look uncomfortable.

But you do have to get used to a new position and give yourself time to adjust.
  • Hi Rayjay,

i probably look a bit awkward as i'm trying to balance against a dining chair! Not an ideal bike fitting environment ;)

What is it that looks uncomfortable?

Thanks for your help.
    Ben.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    could you go to a shop and try out a M? I seem to remember that when i tried a couple of giants (didnt end up getting one) that they said I should go for a M/L and i'm 6 foot 2.

Having said that, you don't look overly stretched from the pics.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Hi chris,

Thanks for your comments.

yes i could go and try a M, but i may be stuck with this one now - having bought it through cycle to work and getting the last of the 2013 stock on a good deal.

From much google searching, i get the sense that the M/L satisfies a large range of people in that it satisfies the taller people who want to be upright, and the shorter people with a 'racier' position. As ray jay says, maybe i just need to get used to a different position. The stretch doesn't feel 'wrong', the only slight concern is the extra weight on hands and shoulders - but even then i guess it's not loads. Maybe time will tell.

From people's responses it seems that it doesn't obviously look too large - and according to the literature and approximate bike fitting measurements it should be about right - so i should be able to make it work for me! I hope!!
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    I like the way you put a cycling top on for the pic and full marks on putting the chainset on the LHS...

It doesnt look way out to me - On the hoods - is the handlebar blocking the view of the front hub ?
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Bike looks the right size to me. But why do you still have your Christmas decorations up?
  • I think your problem is that you're cycling inside. Try taking the bike out on the roads, see if it's easier?
  • Ha ha, full marks rejected ;)

The chain set is on the right side, for some reason the camera on my mac flipped the image so it appears to be on the left. And the cycle top was coincidence - honest :)

Yes, the handlebar does block the view to the front hub - i think this is a good sign it's a decent fit?

Jus5t1n - Cool. Funny you should say that - they are christmas decorations… from about 4 years ago. The wife liked them so much they stayed!

Vertigo16 - But i've heard weather melts carbon, so i can't go outside ;)
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,217
    Looks fine to me although your toes are pointing downwards so it's hard to be certain on the leg position. You certainly aren't stretched out, it's quite a conservative position really. The saddle looks like it is sloping forward a lot though, it could be the camera angle but it looks really odd.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    Hi Rayjay,

i probably look a bit awkward as i'm trying to balance against a dining chair! Not an ideal bike fitting environment ;)

What is it that looks uncomfortable?

Thanks for your help.
    Ben.

I see that now.

I ride -17 130cm stem slammed and have a fair amount of drop as well ....it's a very comfy position for me.

Go low and long if you can.
  • Pross wrote:
    Looks fine to me although your toes are pointing downwards so it's hard to be certain on the leg position. You certainly aren't stretched out, it's quite a conservative position really. The saddle looks like it is sloping forward a lot though, it could be the camera angle but it looks really odd.

Hi Pross, thanks for your comments.

Yeah, i notice my toes are pointing down after i took the picture - i wonder if i do that when i'm actually riding! Might be something to sort out.

Now you point it out the, saddle does look odd. It has a small slope on it - i've not adjusted that since i picked it up, only fore/aft position. I think it might be the angle of the photo making it look exaggerated, but i'll check with the spirit level when i get home! Making it flat may help to alleviate the pressure on my hands/shoulders?

Thanks for all the comments folks - all really helpful!
  • JayKosta
    JayKosta Posts: 635
    When you have your hands 'on the drops' your head & neck need to be comfortable for seeing forward. And your hands & wrist need to be comfortable for maintaining that position. The bars can be rotated in the stem to give comfortable position, and the position of the hoods can be adjusted.
    Typically, most recreational / exercise riding wil be done with hands on the hoods, or on top of the bars.

To me, the size & setup of the bike looks ok - tailoring the position of the bars can be done by changing stem length.
    The seat should not be so high that your hips 'rock' on the saddle at bottom of pedal stroke.

Jay Kosta
    Endwell NY USA
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    If you are looking to be comfortable racking up the miles the position looks fine.

The main change would be to straighten the saddle to horizontal as that suits most people. After that see how you go and read up about road bike setup which will help you fine tune your riding position.
  • saddle fore & aft position looks spot on as knee over the pedal when pedal at 9 oclock
    (or 3 in the pic)