Shimano factory free hubs

marcusww
marcusww Posts: 202
edited February 2014 in Road general
Does anyone know which, if not all, the best Shimano wheels come with the steel free hub?

Comments

• The Dura Ace level is titanium... just as good if you are worried about the cassette chewing
    left the forum March 2023
  • marcusww
    Thanks are any Shimano free hubs aluminium? Yes am worried about notching
  • Marcusww wrote:
    Thanks are any Shimano free hubs aluminium? Yes am worried about notching

Not that I am aware of...

http://paolocoppo.drupalgardens.com/con ... ting-issue
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Shimano 78xx freehubs (the 10 speed only ones) were aluminium, but had deeper splines to compensate. I think they're the only ones, and they aren't a current model.

To be honest I think the problem of notching is overstated. As Paolo's blog says, it's not usually a real world problem.
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I would not worry about notching either.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • marcusww
    As a heavier rider i get bad notching on alumium freehubs - to the extent that you have to knock the cassette backwards to release from the notches. I had some am classic wheels where they had inserts on the freehub which were better than just aluminium but not as good as old shimano steel free hubs in the past. I also got a dura ace cassette as there are 2 spiders with a higher surface area contact with the freehub. Am classic also do insert clips for between the cogs and the splines to reduce the notching.

However if everyone gets notching to the degree above then perhaps I am over thinking this thing............whats your experience????
  • Marcusww wrote:
    As a heavier rider i get bad notching on alumium freehubs - to the extent that you have to knock the cassette backwards to release from the notches. I had some am classic wheels where they had inserts on the freehub which were better than just aluminium but not as good as old shimano steel free hubs in the past. I also got a dura ace cassette as there are 2 spiders with a higher surface area contact with the freehub. Am classic also do insert clips for between the cogs and the splines to reduce the notching.

However if everyone gets notching to the degree above then perhaps I am over thinking this thing............whats your experience????

You are a "notcher", get a Shimano steel freehub