Bladdy weather!

peat
peat Posts: 1,242
edited February 2014 in Road general
All i wanted to do was go for a nice bike ride today.

First of all i noticed that it was really bright out, so i had to don some bloody sunglasses. And i STILL had to squint sometimes. FFS.

Then, when i was out there, the bloody sun was out and made me too warm. There wasn't even any wind to cool me. Also, the roads were mostly dry which i meant i had to go really quickly around all the corners which wore down my tyres a bit. I'm going to move to another country, this is sh1te.

(Incase you didn't get it - IT'S NICE OUTSIDE! YAAAAY! :D:D:D:D )

Comments

• diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    edited February 2014
    Nice riding today,weather was great but a bit windy. :)
  • No, not even any wind to speak of. It was a bit icy first thing so delayed my start a little while I waited for it to warm up.
  • luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    Yup, a beautiful day. Other half was working and kids both out so free day pass. Rarely coincides with such glorious weather, but agree it was great out there today. Just wish I'd got out sooner and gone further!
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    67 miles 17.3 mph speed average today. :o

Having sunshine seems to have made me go faster than normal still was a headwind though :x
  • Was lurvely down in Surrey. My normal route to Box Hill was flooded - Chapel Lane east of Ranmore Common Road was in fact a river, allegedly a foot deep at the bottom, which I didn't fancy testing. So I went up Ranmore Common Road for the first time, then down Ranmore Road to Dorking and the up the A24 (which I didn't enjoy) to get to the roundabout at the bottom of Box Hill.

Just 49 miles, but my longest this year.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    52 here, rode past the north cornwall coast which was lovely. Wind a tad stronger than I was expecting and felt a little warm at times as well togged up. No gales, no rain, dry roads and dry bottom. Lovely...
  • rozzer32
    rozzer32 Posts: 3,829
    Managed to get in 80 miles today. Dry roads and there was this big yellow shiny thing in the sky, no idea what that was.
    ***** Pro Tour Pundit Champion 2020, 2018, 2017 & 2011 *****
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    rozzer32 wrote:
    Managed to get in 80 miles today. Dry roads and there was this big yellow shiny thing in the sky, no idea what that was.

It was an egg yoke.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    was great today, wish i hadn't check the forecast for tomorrow though!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Was lurvely down in Surrey. My normal route to Box Hill was flooded - Chapel Lane east of Ranmore Common Road was in fact a river, allegedly a foot deep at the bottom, which I didn't fancy testing. So I went up Ranmore Common Road for the first time, then down Ranmore Road to Dorking and the up the A24 (which I didn't enjoy) to get to the roundabout at the bottom of Box Hill.

Just 49 miles, but my longest this year.

You made the right choice! I came down that hill and saw the flood and thought about heading back. But I saw two cyclists the other side so thought, if they made it, it should be ok. Big mistake! The water went over the top of my crank and I'd committed by then and couldn't turn round. I got soaked, which was horrible for the next 40
    Miles. Looking on strava I wasn't the only idiot today.

Box hill was amusing as I saw 3 cyclists crash next to the cafe on ice. All very low speed and happened in the space of five minutes. I shouldn't laugh and just hope all three were ok?

Still, a beautiful day!
  • wavefront wrote:
    Box hill was amusing as I saw 3 cyclists crash next to the cafe on ice. All very low speed and happened in the space of five minutes. I shouldn't laugh and just hope all three were ok?
    Blimey, what time was that?

I got there about 11.45 and thought it was quite warm by then (nearly 8 degrees according to my 800)!
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • Bit mixed in Leeds, still a strong wind and showers including hail! Was out from 930 to 1230 and was cold until late morning. Having said that an enjoyable 55miles @ 17.6mph
  • I finally managed to take my new bike out for a ride today too albeit only a 22 mile ride. So much nicer than sweating on the turbo though!
  • wavefront wrote:
    Blimey, what time was that?

I got there about 11.45 and thought it was quite warm by then (nearly 8 degrees according to my 800)!

It was about 9.15, next to the seating area. It was warming up, but it still caught a few folk out. Walking around the paved area with cycling shoes was even more hazardous!
  • Was cold and frosty at 6:15am but atleast it wasn't windy... Sun was up as I headed for home which did make it much nicer....
    Alistair

Best Weather Bike - Time ZXRS
    Summer Road Bike - Pinarello FPX Dogma
    Winter Road Bike- Colnago E1
    Being Dismantled - Sintesi Blade
    Mountain Bike - Sold them all....
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    First decent day in ages, and I had a trip booked to the Bike Show! I nearly cried off so I could get on the bike but thought better of it. It was a bit like being in a Ferrari dealership for me, all them lovely things and no chance of buying any of them...
  • alex222
    alex222 Posts: 598
    I headed out at 7:45 and managed to go over on some ice. Still enjoyed a ride with some nice weather.
  • I had pre booked the Evans Ride kent event and was praying for some nice weather so had a right bit of luck !!!

Altho there was some flooding and some of the roads were dreadful - covered in silt and just general crap off of the fields.

But getting covered in mud and grime doesnt seem to matter as much when the sun is out !!!
    Cannondale Caad8
    Canyon Aeroad 8.0

http://www.strava.com/athletes/goodhewt
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    I did my girly wuss thing and postponed my start till 11. No sign of any snow and ice down here in cornwall so was being over cautious..

Back to wet and windy today...
  • Sunday was a lovely day, sadly few and far between
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,532
    My solution to the dodgy weather on Sunday was to go out for the day with the wife and kids to walk the dog in the Beacons. I'll do all my riding when it's nice and wet with gale force winds thank you very much - I'm not risking sun burn just to get a few miles in on my bike!