TRP CX-9 mini-V or Shimano CX-70 cantilevers?

Giraffoto
Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
edited March 2014 in Cyclocross
. . . That is the question. I’m not that happy with my brakes at the moment, and I suspect the calipers aren’t well matched to the levers: I have Avid Shorty 4 calipers and Shimano 5700 levers, with Swissstop green pads. I don’t feel the braking is as good as it could be, even though everything is nicely adjusted. So I’m considering new calipers, and would be interested in any opinions that anyone’s formed from experience of either of the above options. And if anyone’s tried both, which do you prefer?

Alternatively, if anyone has the same setup as me and thinks it's perfect, how do you have it set (which straddle cable, clearances, etc.)?
Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
XM-057 rigid 29er

Comments

• Mini-V are much more effective cantis at doing what a brake is supposed to do. Downside is that they need to run quite close to the rim which can make disengaging the noodle to get the wheel off a bit of a struggle
    Coffee is not my cup of tea

Moda Fresco track racer
    Kinesis Crosslight Pro 6 winter commuter
    Gunnar Hyper X
    Rocky Mountain ETSX
    Cannondale Scalpel 3000 (retro-bike in bits)
    Lemond Poprad Disc, now retired pending frame re-paint.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    ...And also you'll have more issues with mud if you go off-road because of that tighter clearance. Mini-Vs kill cantis for power though.

For wheel removal, these (as specced on Ridleys) are very useful, albeit overpriced for a few pieces of plastic:

http://www.todayscyclist.co.uk/product.aspx?X=FBP00
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    MajorMantra - Do you use those? I can't figure out how they actually work. I've got mini-v's and love their power but the wheel changing annoys me so they'd be a good investment if they actually worked well.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    I don't have them personally (none of my bikes need them) but I've built a number of bikes at work with them - they are effective.

It's hard to explain in words exactly how they work, but there's a video that sort of shows their action here:

http://www.4za.com/parts-a-spare-parts/ ... /122-quick
  • They're like the ones on the new 695aerolight!!!

The cable outer end cap sits on essentially a tapered plastic wedge. You push it in to do the cable up and pull the wedge back to give you more clearance.

Personally I'd just fit proper v-brakes and run travel adjusters, you have to replace cables slightly more frequently but they work wonderfully.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I have TRP CX8.4 mini-vees on one bike and TRP 950 cantis on another - the mini-vees shade it in terms of power and are easy to set-up. There's more feel with the cantis though. The mini-vees have adjustable noodles, so easy to adjust clearance for wheel removal.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kentphil
    kentphil Posts: 479
    Sven Nys uses CX70's on his Trek... enough of a recommendation?
    1998 Kona Cindercone in singlespeed commute spec
    2013 Cannondale Caadx 1x10
    2004 Giant TCR
  • Used to run Ultegra 6700 levers with CX8.4s and now use Dura Ace 9000 levers with CX70 cantis....

New set-up has far better feel, better mud clearence and equal stopping power!!!

Still can`t belive it.... must be down to the new levers...

VERY happy..... :D

ps.. found cx8.4s gave better mud clearence and lever feel then cx9s...
  • FransJacques
    FransJacques Posts: 2,148
    Avid Shorty Ultimates.

£70 at Hargroves at the moment...nuff said.
    When a cyclist has a disagreement with a car; it's not who's right, it's who's left.
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,064
    I've run TRP CX-9s and the Shorty Ultimates and the latter win hands down. The set-up takes a while to master, but once you do they are flawless, offering stopping power, great modulation and good mud clearance.
  • milese
    milese Posts: 1,233
    Has anyone used the Tektro 926s?

They are much cheaper at £20 for 2 pairs and get some really good reviews. They are shorter again than the CX8.4's so should offer more clearance etc.
  • devhads
    devhads Posts: 236
    I have them on my bike. They are not flashy, just basic mini v-brakes, but they do what they're supposed to, stop you. Pair them with Swiss stop green pads and they should provide all the stopping power you need. Clearance is OK for a mini v but still suffers compared to a canti.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Will the TRPs accommodate guards? Sorry for the thread hijack.