Tour Med 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Nice job Cummings and three from three for Degenkolb is great. LLS is a former winner and going well so id look out for him on Faron, although he did lose a min.

Phinney lost 50 secs...he was hoping to win here so must have been a pretty tough TT.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • gpreeves
    gpreeves Posts: 454
    no doubt he is a fighter but the rumours seem to suggest he's had Xmas at Ullrichs
    Carlos-Betancur-italy-photo-press-672.jpg

He certainly wasn't looking too trim in San Luis, although he was quoted as saying he'd "be at 60-70% in Argentina":

BevFc19CYAAlbQJ.jpg

Today's ride was more encouraging, I'm hoping he tests his form on Mont Faron tomorrow.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Great ride by Cummings. And what about chubby Betancur? 26th, only just behind Larsson. Promising.
    The GC looks nailed for Peraud. Mt Faron is a proper climb
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Can Cummings hang on. He can be a decent climber- didn't he pip Contador on an early season summit finish a few years ago. Might have been Algarve?

Might be a bit steep though. 5.5km at 9% with the last 3km between 10-12% according to steephill.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    Red flag down, but wonder of wonders, DEGENKOLB's boys come from behind like 10 year pros, make the other teams look like amateurs and drop their warrior in poll position who then unleashes the pistons and rewards his team mates by drawing first blood in this tour of the med.

High hopes for 'legs of fire' on today's coverage. Don't let me down, FF.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Mont Faron - the hill top finish to the race, which ends today. Approx finish 1515 GMT.

360-PIC88248675.jpg
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    I'm really interested to see how Jungels performs. He has been told that he will have some races as leader this year, surely ones like this are crucial to getting this chance.
  • inseine
    inseine Posts: 5,786
    Still over 130k to go and Raleigh have a man in the break with 6mins on the peloton.

Omar Fraile (Caja Rural)
    Rudy Kowalski (Roubaix Lille Métropôle)
    Mark Christian (Raleigh)
    Tom Dernies (Wallonie - Bruxelles)
  • inseine
    39k to go. Christian back with the break after a puncture. Bunch at 2.50
  • joelsim
    Bunch catching. 1:40
  • joelsim
    1:15
  • Crampeur
    Crampeur Posts: 1,065
    Sepulveda (Bretagne) and Peraud attack with 15" at the flamme rouge
  • Crampeur
    Cummings up there... 4" back
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    Peraud wins, Cummings at 10

Strava is not Zen.
  • calvjones
    calvjones Posts: 3,850
    So with no stage bonuses, Cummings wins overall...?

Strava is not Zen.
  • Crampeur
    More importantly, yet another incredible show of dominance from the indefatigable Bretagne-Séché....Sepulveda in 2nd.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Nice work from Cummings. I was hoping he would hang in there. Always enjoy seeing him do well.
  • inseine
    smithy21 wrote:
    Nice work from Cummings. I was hoping he would hang in there. Always enjoy seeing him do well.

Nearly 33, that's one of his best performances.
  • EKIMIKE
    EKIMIKE Posts: 2,232
    Betancur 8th. Better. Hopefully he'll be good for the Ardennes. He was great value in those races last year.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    Red flag down, but wonder of wonders, DEGENKOLB's boys come from behind like 10 year pros, make the other teams look like amateurs and drop their warrior in poll position who then unleashes the pistons and rewards his team mates by drawing first blood in this tour of the med.

High hopes for 'legs of fire' on today's coverage. Don't let me down, FF.

Sorry no access today!

Hardly know anyone in the top ten...good job to Cummings who unsurprisingly is doing very well since leaving Sky.
    Contador is the Greatest
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    EKIMIKE wrote:
    Betancur 8th. Better. Hopefully he'll be good for the Ardennes. He was great value in those races last year.

He was.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    Hardly know anyone in the top ten...good job to Cummings who unsurprisingly is doing very well since leaving Sky.
    Is this an accusation of lower standards re doping at BMC? :shock:

:roll:
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    I reckon Allan Pieper has sorted out some of the nonsense at BMC. They've having a really solid training races season so far.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • mroli wrote:

Would it be very bad of me to point out that Cummings beat Contador in a "mountain" top finish when he was at Sky?
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • 12544996764_1a59fb366f_b.jpg

From 2nd and third win, jersey unzipped and rolled down armwarmers - moustachio should know better.
    320-PIC435128162.jpg
    325-PIC435308785.jpg
    Nice podium ladies:
    560-PIC435164542.jpg

Nice kit, shame about the bike:
    sciamtm.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Peraud goes up and down well...
    emxc_dsc3739_600.jpg
  • mroli wrote:

Would it be very bad of me to point out that Cummings beat Contador in a "mountain" top finish when he was at Sky?

This. I'm no "Sky fan", but that dig seemed a bit needless
  • Cummings got second at Dubai GC and has completed 7 grand tours. I think , like others he is looking for a strong early season before playing a more domestique role later . This is his 9th year as a pro - and the consensus among many on the domestic UK 'pro' scene is that he is one of the most naturally gifted to come out of the domestic scene (+ Manning and Newton)
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    mroli wrote:

This. I'm no "Sky fan", but that dig seemed a bit needless

They all are but it's a way of life for some.