Tour Med 2014 *Spoilers*

Comments

• Getting back on after a mechanical with 10km to go AND then winning - impressive. Looking forward to the highlights video.

Team Raleigh look like they'll be having a tough race - top rider Matthieu Boulo finished in 65th in the main bunch but the rest lost lots of time.

Nice commentary FF!
  • So there were echelons? This does not surprise me. There's usually a damn stiff westerly blowing in those parts. I would have put money on some crosswind action.

Giant-Shimano pacing split the front of the race into 6 with the cross winds.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    223 km? :shock: thats a serious distance for February and a minor pre season race like this

Great commentary Frenchie, old school. Next time throw in a snow storm and dog on the road
  • Yes tough day at the office for Raleigh. Mark Christian 121st I think. I love that retro kit look they have this season, great old skool Raleigh colours.
    @JaunePeril

Winner of the Bike Radar Pro Race Wiggins Hour Prediction Competition
  • Thanks for the comments guys, glad you liked the fun I was having! I agree over 200km is way too much...I remember one time they did this race and they were so cold they drilled it start to finish so they could get off their bikes asap.

Degenkolb looking great in his new colours but wish he would get rid of the moustache. He is in fine form...he was 2nd on the hardest Etoile de Besseges stage which finished on a 17% er. Could see him winning MSR.

tour_med_2014_1a.jpg
    330-PIC434737392.jpg

The final escapee:
    240-PIC434759262.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Bo Duke
    Bo Duke Posts: 1,058
    lets hope the Mighty Thor has a good season.
    'Performance analysis and Froome not being clean was a media driven story. I haven’t heard one guy in the peloton say a negative thing about Froome, and I haven’t heard a single person in the peloton suggest Froome isn’t clean.' TSP
  • Yes tough day at the office for Raleigh. Mark Christian 121st I think. I love that retro kit look they have this season, great old skool Raleigh colours.

Yeah, kudos for the new kit

The Badger got them the invite. Oh well, its good experience, especially for the young uns like Mark Christian, George Atkins and Joe Perrett
  • Can't see any planned recordings on France 3 for the race. Quick vid from Europcar:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SC2Vxr7f6f4
    Shows Raleigh in the new kit, interview with Voeckler and Poulidor.
  • Stage 2 - 2 riders ahead - Pantano (Team Colombia) and Veikkanen (FDJ) up to 3.40 after 25 km
  • Profile:
    profile-02.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • Google translate
    Original French text:

Les deux échappés entrent dans la zone de ravitaillement

The two fumbles entering the staging area.

:)
  • FJS
    Profile:
    profile-02.jpg
    Thats a pretty useless profile without any indication of how high those hills are. It could be Alpe d'Huez or a bridge for all we know
  • FJS
    Google translate
    Original French text:

Les deux échappés entrent dans la zone de ravitaillement

The two fumbles entering the staging area.

:)
    That's a weird translation. Echapper is a normal French word, to escape, not cycling jargon. Had thought Google translate was better than that
  • FJS wrote:
    Profile:
    profile-02.jpg
    Thats a pretty useless profile without any indication of how high those hills are. It could be Alpe d'Huez or a bridge for all we know

There GPM 3rd cats so that gives an idea....? the last one cant be hors category though?
  • FJS
    FJS wrote:
    Profile:
    profile-02.jpg

There GPM 3rd cats so that gives an idea....? the last one cant be hors category though?
    Nah, that can mean anything. Doesnt the Tour of Britain 1st category hills, or something similar?
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Highest GPM3 is at 743m with the HC climb at 510m. That's above sea level not height of climbs (from a twitter pic which I can't post here atm).
  • hommelbier
    hommelbier Posts: 1,555
    edited February 2014
    John Degenkolb takes his second stage win

Yannick Martinez (Team Europcar) in second place
  • I think FF could just copy and paste yesterdays stage - Degenkolb - tres fort!
  • RonB
    RonB Posts: 3,984
    Good call. He won by a similar margin by the look of it.

322-PIC435129477.jpg
  • St2 video:
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MNtPAEIvEEQ#t=24 (5 mins)

Stage 3 this morning - hat-trick for Degenkolb! Hushovd 2nd and Colbrelli 3rd.

TT this afternoon.
  • St1 video: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hN3uFstrP-E
    2:32 - BMC lining out the whole race. Know how that feels.

St2 vid at 2:18 - anyone met the angel/nut at the side of the road?
  • Storming ride from Roy taking out Phinney in the tt - and Sicard looks good - early days yet but must have had a solid winter

Betancur was first at the intermediate but lost a lot of time later
    :shock:
    La Grosse Boucle ‏@LaGrosseBoucle · 9m
    En tête à l'intermédiaire, Carlos Alberto Betancur a perdu du temps sur le chrono du #TourMed après avoir fait un tour au McDrive. Dommage.

:D

More good rides from Sepulveda and Argentinan on Bretagne and Peraud

Riccardo Zoidl Trek takes lead - some big time differences for 18km
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Looking decent for my Fantasy team...Zoidl, Sepulveda, Jungels, Sanchez, Roux and Peraud. :)

And ahem, Phinney. Muppeto!
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Looking decent for my Fantasy team...Zoidl, Sepulveda, Jungels, Sanchez, Roux and Peraud. :)

My prediction on the other thread before the race was Cummings - tt winner and GC overall today :wink:
  • joelsim
    Joelsim wrote:

My prediction on the other thread before the race was Cummings - tt winner and GC overall today :wink:

Yep saw that when you posted and just now. Wish I'd paid more attention!

Interesting race, who do you think are the contenders now?
  • Joelsim wrote:
    Joelsim wrote:

Yep saw that when you posted and just now. Wish I'd paid more attention!

Interesting race, who do you think are the contenders now?

I also said Ag2R have a good squad and I think Peraud should do it - good for your team ! Although what can Cummings do - I think he has some good form already but final is steep but I don't think that long - about 3-4km?
  • joelsim
    Looks like a short, sharp one. Phinney has been replaced by Cummings already and I've got 3 transfers left. Degenkolb and Boulo definitely being replaced, plus maybe LL Sanchez or Roux. Not sure though. Awaiting the GC to come up before deciding.
  • Funny how Betancur is becoming important - I think the DS is calling him to the plate ! - knowing that he's not prepared himself well.

Mediterranean tour - Julien Jurdie, Sports Director, takes stock of the 4th stage (CLM) which allows JC Péraud back up to fourth in the overall standings: "the balance sheet is rather favourable, since the 4th place of Jean-Christophe Péraud allows us to bring us closer to our objective, namely the final podium. '. 15 "delay on Cummings, cela interesting rest and leaves us still some beautiful hope. It will have to be wary of Riccardo Zoidl but there will be, certainly, opportunities and we need our collective strength. Obviously, he lacks an important since the abandonment of Rinaldo Nocentini but we can particularly rely on Carlos Betancur which improves day by day and which will be a valuable asset in the rise of Faron. We must be optimistic and say that final victory is still playable.
  • joelsim
    Hmmm, I've just added Betancur before seeing this. He is only just over a minute behind.
  • no doubt he is a fighter but the rumours seem to suggest he's had Xmas at Ullrichs
    Carlos-Betancur-italy-photo-press-672.jpg