le tour stage 1 & 2 signing!

velohutts
velohutts Posts: 288
edited February 2014 in Road general
Can anyone advise whether or when the road signs are out for stage 1 and 2 ?

A few of us are looking to go and ride both routes prior to the big boy's smashing times to pieces.

Also any recommends on cafes etc on the route's ?

We will be loading the routes onto garmins and taking a map as well.

Looking forward to a ride out, great to ride it first and reminisce with your mates on "remember that bit" and boring wives and partners with I rode that etc.......

There will be no support vehicle, DS or mechanic with spare wheels just a couple of mates well above 30 + so kom's will be safe!!

Cheers.
Enigma Esprit Di2 - Go tI ! Summer !

Comments

• bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    round our area leyburn, middleham, Ripon there are council tourist signs saying route of the TdF and most of the roads/potholes have been fixed. Too many cafes to mention in our area, you won't go hungry :wink:
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • Basically follow the roads that aren't pot-holed and smashed to sh*t.
  • Nice one thanks , looking forward to it , they did the same down in devon , you could almost follow the new white paint !
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    On Stage 2, at Bolton Abbey you have the Abbey Tea rooms just off the route (right turn at the Bolton Abbey roundabout where the TdF route turns left) or just before there, on the descent to the roundabout, there is a right turn that takes you just under a mile to Buffers at Storiths which is a major club café around here.
    Then you have Sids café at Holmfirth (of Last of the Summer endless sitcoms fame) is pretty good and there's another next door if that's full. .

I'd recommend using both. Stage 2 is a brutal ride and afaik there is nothing much en route after Sids until you get pretty close to Sheffield.

BTW I'd recommend skipping most of the A629 Calderdale Way at Elland and joining it 3/4 of the way up by way of Huddersfield road (which gives you a bus/cycle lane to the top) - it's not a nice place to be on a bike.

PS - The section from Harrogate to Bolton Abbey is (for cars) fast and narrow and busy at weekends. Woodhead is also a bother - a long grind, reasonably open but with lots of lorries on it. Both sections take a while to get over and will be unpleasant if busy - and grim if headwindy (and if there is wind, a tailwind on one is a headwind on the other!). Pick a calm, quiet day!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • thanks rolf , will factor that into our route planning , this is the sort of thing well worth knowing to make it a good couple of days.

We are commited to certain dates through time off work etc so will be doing the sun/windfree dance on the way there !
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Watch out for Jenkin Road in Sheffield you hit it at the Meadowhall shopping centre, it's not that long but it is a pig as it ramps up near the top.
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Cafe Kali in Hebden Bridge does good coffee and snacks.It's by the footbridge in the centre a good place to stop before you set off for Cragg VAle. It says the longest continuous climb in Britain at the bottom.It's actually a very steady climb and flattish on the tops on the moors.Left at the top though and you are rewarded with a very fast downhill to Ripponden traffic lights.Go right here down the hill and then a nice sharp climb up Ripponden bank and follow road to West Vale.
    I live in Huddersfield and I'm afraid Rolf and BBC Look North are wrong about using the Calderdale way. The route doesn't go into Elland itself at all.If you pull up the detailed maps from the Yorkshire tour site http://letour.yorkshire.com/road-closures and zoom in you will find that the route comes down from Ripponden bank and it turns right at the lights in West Vale and after 500 yds it turns sharp left by the Queens pub and goes up Queens rd.Nice and steep,rt at the top and then left up Hullenedge road,nice and steep again.Rt at the top and up and across the junction and up the hill in front of you.Legs and lungs nicely warmed up by the time you reach the top!
    When the tour reaches the motorway roundabout it looks like it will go on the wrong side of the dual carriage to the next one,then wrong way round this and down Halifax road into Huddersfield.
    The route goes into Huddersfield and round the ring road and out to Holmfirth.The ring road is dire and not for a biking unless you are desperate to ride the actual route.
    You could do a nice detour round the town and still end up in Holmfirth but it's a hilly route, a fact of life around here, a 12-28/30 cassette is a good but but mine are 60 yr old legs!
    At the roundabout after the M62 turn sharp left up Lindley Moor rd towards Oldham.Go all way up to next roundabout and round and follow rd over the M62 .Follow the road right up until you cross M62 again and turn first left on Quebec rd follow signs for SLaithwaite. Penny's pantry by the canal here is a good cafe.Look at your maps and plot a route from Slaithwaite to Meltham and then Holmfirth over the tops.It's uphill and down dale but scenic and not too difficult.Plenty of cafes in Holmfirth.Holme Moss itself is steepish but not that long and a nice steady climb.
    Hope you enjoy the Pennine hills.You will certainly know you've done them when you've reached Sheffield!!
  • janwal
    janwal Posts: 489
    Just thought,if you want to do the detour route around town I live just off Lindley Moor road. I'd happily join you and guide to over to Holmfirth.It's a regular run for me.I'm retired so any day is possible.Just let me know.
    cheers
    Jan
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    janwal wrote:
    I live in Huddersfield and I'm afraid Rolf and BBC Look North are wrong about using the Calderdale way. The route doesn't go into Elland itself at all.If you pull up the detailed maps from the Yorkshire tour site http://letour.yorkshire.com/road-closures and zoom in you will find that the route comes down from Ripponden bank and it turns right at the lights in West Vale and after 500 yds it turns sharp left by the Queens pub and goes up Queens rd.

Actually, it was the Tour site itself I followed but that was before the decent maps came out. It seems like a much better way out of Elland anyway.

I think ring road Huddersfield is fine as long as you aren't there in the rush hour. The only tricky bit is navigating the lanes to reach the exit lane for Holmfirth - but you can check that out on Google Earth to see where to move across. You're only on it for a few minutes anyway. I think the route is plenty hard enough already without banging in the bypass route to Huddersfield - I did that recently (coming the other way) and it was a bit of a leg killer. Maybe all the 20% sections were heading North but it is a really tough alternative to a very easy run all the way from the M62 to Holmfirth!
    Faster than a tent.......