Garmin 500 in the cafe

andy_wrx
andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
edited February 2014 in Road general
I've recently bought a Garmin 500 and am puzzled by what it records when it's stopped in the cafe

First of all I went out with my existing computer fitted too, just to see how they compared in distance, just for interest - I was mainly intrigued if I'd had the existing computer calibrated wrong for years and so had been fooling or robbing myself of mileage !

I have auto-pause on the Garmin so it stops timing at T-junctions and so on.
When we stopped at the cafe, the message came up to say that the Garmin had stopped, fine.
I then took it off the bike and took it into the cafe.
At the end of the ride, it read 7 miles more than my existing computer - I was expecting a slight discrepancy, but not 7 in 62...

Looking at in in Garmin Connect however, the plot showed that when I was in the cafe, the Garmin showed a random wandering around of up to half a mile in all directions - I don't think the cafe actually moved so obviously the Garmin wasn't stopped after all, but was roaming around.
I guessed that in the cafe, through the roof, it was picking up distorted signals from the satellites and so had restarted, and because it was in my helmet under my gloves I hadn't noticed.

OK, next time I manually stopped it in the cafe rather than relying on auto-pause, and now the distance is correct
- but now I notice that there's an altitude spike of 280m whilst I'm in the cafe.
Now I'm sure the cafe didn't levitate while I was in, and whilst I did go upstairs to the loo it was only up one floor and the Garmin was in my helmet on the table anyway...

So how do I correct this ?
I could power-off the thing while I'm in the cafe, but that would mean a delay while it reacquires the satellites again when I turn it back on...?

Comments

• I suspect that would be the slight and subtle variations of the GPS satellite signal locking on and off or taking samples of your position at slightly different positions giving the computer the impression you are moving when you are in fact sitting down enjoying a brew. Maybe?
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    Press stop when you reach the cafe, then press start when you exit the cafe. Easy!
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    andy_wrx wrote:
    I could power-off the thing while I'm in the cafe, but that would mean a delay while it reacquires the satellites again when I turn it back on...?

Just do this and turn it on 30 seconds before you want to leave?

if you turn it off and back on shortly after it finds satellites much quicker as it remembers where it was.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    this made me chuckle as ive done this myself. in fact im still Strava KOM for the 'cake stop with Belgian chocolate and cappucino' segment! ive also done the turbo at home without switching off gps and got a trace like a demented spider and 50m of altitude while bolted to the kitchen floor
  • Get a speed cadence sensor. With one of these coupled to the Edge 500 the sensor overrides the GPS when it comes to movement
  • Pituophis
    Pituophis Posts: 1,025
    Mikey23 wrote:
    this made me chuckle as ive done this myself. in fact im still Strava KOM for the 'cake stop with Belgian chocolate and cappucino' segment! ive also done the turbo at home without switching off gps and got a trace like a demented spider and 50m of altitude while bolted to the kitchen floor

Yeah, mine didn't like it much when I forgot to turn the gps off :roll: :lol:
  • Press stop when you reach the cafe, then press start when you exit the cafe. Easy!
    What he said.

Turn off the auto pause thing. If you stop at traffic lights pause manually. Hold your finger on the button and restart manually. More accurate, less prone to error.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Stop the timer at traffic lights? lol

bit keen?
  • The change in elevation was probably due to a change in air pressure while you were sat in the cafe (due to weather changes). The 500 has an altimeter that uses air pressure. Normally this gives a better indication of the actual height gained/lost during a ride than relying on either GPS or map based heights. Both Strava and Garmin Connect offer the option of correcting the height readings (basically they use map based readings I think). If you go to the same cafe often you could set an elevation point at the cafe (basically you tell the 500 the actual elevation of the cafe and it uses this to correct the barometric reading), it is also a good idea to set an elevation point at home (or wherever you tend to start rides from).
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    ednino wrote:
    Stop the timer at traffic lights? lol

bit keen?

Taking unfair advantage of the rest too lol.

Reminds me of a guy who asked if there were timing mats at entrance to feed stations so that they did not add to your overall time :shock:
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    On the 800 I vaguely remember you can set the movement threshold for auto-pause. If this can be done on the 500 set it a bit higher, its only really a issue if you MTB a lot where 3-4mph could well be a climbing pace on something steep.
  • John.T
    John.T Posts: 3,698
    andy_wrx wrote:
    I've recently bought a Garmin 500 and am puzzled by what it records when it's stopped in the cafe

First of all I went out with my existing computer fitted too, just to see how they compared in distance, just for interest - I was mainly intrigued if I'd had the existing computer calibrated wrong for years and so had been fooling or robbing myself of mileage !

When we stopped at the cafe, the message came up to say that the Garmin had stopped, fine.
    At the end of the ride, it read 7 miles more than my existing computer - I was expecting a slight discrepancy, but not 7 in 62...

Looking at in in Garmin Connect however, the plot showed that when I was in the cafe, the Garmin showed a random wandering around of up to half a mile in all directions - I don't think the cafe actually moved so obviously the Garmin wasn't stopped after all, but was roaming around.
    I guessed that in the cafe, through the roof, it was picking up distorted signals from the satellites and so had restarted, and because it was in my helmet under my gloves I hadn't noticed.

OK, next time I manually stopped it in the cafe rather than relying on auto-pause, and now the distance is correct
    - but now I notice that there's an altitude spike of 280m whilst I'm in the cafe.
    Now I'm sure the cafe didn't levitate while I was in, and whilst I did go upstairs to the loo it was only up one floor and the Garmin was in my helmet on the table anyway...

When you go indoors the sat signals are lost or at least weakened. The unit may only pick up 1 or 2 sats which are not enough for a good fix so it thinks you are moving and comes out of auto pause. Best to just stop the recording. Remember to re-start after though. We have all done that. :(
    You will often get a small spike in elevation in a cafe due to the rise in temperature. Usually not enough to bother about. If you switch the unit right off it will start to find the elevation from scratch which can take quite a while, as much as 20 min so best to leave it switched on but stop the recording. Whenever possible have an elevation point set for the start of a ride or be prepared to switch on early to let it stabilise. The altimeter is not perfect but if you treat it right it is not bad.
  • After I get home, my Garmin 500 will sometimes show 1 or 2 mph while the bike is leant against a wall in my hallway. I guess it's the same issue ...
    Shut up, knees!

Various Boardmans, a Focus, a Cannondale and an ancient Trek.
  • esdel
    esdel Posts: 28
    You know the earth rotates don't you
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Carbonator wrote:
    Reminds me of a guy who asked if there were timing mats at entrance to feed stations so that they did not add to your overall time :shock:

Worse than that are the folk who don't stop at the feed stations to avoid losing time!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Rolf F wrote:
    Carbonator wrote:

Worse than that are the folk who don't stop at the feed stations to avoid losing time!

Hehe! Yepp, kind of overlooks the fact that a large part of the price has gone on the food (let's face it, the prize money is never great :wink: )
  • andy_wrx wrote:

I knew this would happen. You notice the tiny cracks in the machine and then the Government sends all these posters on here telling you it's more likely to be a problem with your Garmin than the cafe moving... I mean come on man, the Garmin was new like you said! That is some serious kit, it doesn't make mistakes! Or whatever, believe what the man tells you to think...
  • Mikey23
    And let's not forget that the cafe is moving at about 800 mph as the earth rotates, the earth moves through space at 66000 mph around the sun, the sun moves through the galaxy at goodness knows what speed. And the galaxy is moving rapidly away from the Big Bang...

I think my garmin does a pretty good job therefore. My head is hurting now and I need my evening meds....
  • Cycle in nicer areas and leave the Garmin on the bike outside
  • term1te
    term1te Posts: 1,462
    Mikey23 wrote:
    And let's not forget that the cafe is moving at about 800 mph as the earth rotates, the earth moves through space at 66000 mph around the sun, the sun moves through the galaxy at goodness knows what speed. And the galaxy is moving rapidly away from the Big Bang...

I think my garmin does a pretty good job therefore. My head is hurting now and I need my evening meds....

I was reminded of Monty Python's Galaxy song.
  • Mikey23
    http://youtu.be/buqtdpuZxvk

Sorry for straying off topic here...