Research proves that winners are hotter...

dish_dash
dish_dash Posts: 5,558
edited February 2014 in Pro race
Slightly bizarre really but see this piece of research (via the BBC) http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/science-environment-26034659
Females often prefer to mate with high quality males, and one aspect of quality is physical performance. Although a preference for physically fitter males is therefore predicted, the relationship between attractiveness and performance has rarely been quantified. Here, I test for such a relationship in humans and ask whether variation in (endurance) performance is associated with variation in facial attractiveness within elite professional cyclists that finished the 2012 Tour de France. I show that riders that performed better were more attractive, and that this preference was strongest in women not using a hormonal contraceptive. Thereby, I show that, within this preselected but relatively homogeneous sample of the male population, facial attractiveness signals endurance performance. Provided that there is a relationship between performance-mediated attractiveness and reproductive success, this suggests that human endurance capacity has been subject to sexual selection in our evolutionary past.

And the top 10 are (Sky excluded because they were wearing sunnies):
1. Amael Moinard
2. Yann Huguet
3. Maxime Monfort
4. Andriy Grivko
5. Michael Schar
6. Martin Velits
7. Christophe Riblon
8. Adam Hansen
9. Rui Alberto Costa
10. Manuel Quinziato

Comments

• rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    Rui costa? Presumably not in his world champ pajamas.
  • No Quinatana?
  • dish_dash
    Research used 2012 TdF riders... and excluded Sky. So no quintana and rui costa in plain movistar kit...
  • who is a cheeky boy then

Interview-d-Amael-Moinard.jpg
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,150
    dish_dash wrote:
    6. Martin Velits
    Dear 'Scientists',

If your hypothesis is that the success makes a cyclist more attractive, then including the clearly less successful one of near identical twins in your top ten somewhat undermines your arguement.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,490
    This probably explains why I am s**t in bike races. Does it mean that cosmetic surgery should be added to the banned list as it will presumably improve performance.
  • Pross wrote:
    This probably explains why I am s**t in bike races. Does it mean that cosmetic surgery should be added to the banned list as it will presumably improve performance.

Its all down to taste, fella. In South Wales Land, you're probably top SNOG pick in the Taff version of Marry Snog Avoid

:)
  • Pross
    Pross wrote:

Its all down to taste, fella. In South Wales Land, you're probably top SNOG pick in the Taff version of Marry Snog Avoid

:)

But surely I'd be winning local races then? Besides, to qualify for that title I suspect I'd have to wear a white lambs wool fleece onesie :wink:
  • CORVOS_00022648-005.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • RichN95.
    CORVOS_00022648-005.jpg
    Two questions about this photo:

1. Who is the bloke at the front?

2. Did OPQS lose their luggage at the airport?
  • dish_dash
    To be fair, Cav is the only one dressed for the beach!

Purito is tiny!
  • dish_dash wrote:
    And the top 10 are (Sky excluded because they were wearing sunnies):
    1. Amael Moinard
    2. Yann Huguet
    3. Maxime Monfort
    4. Andriy Grivko
    5. Michael Schar
    6. Martin Velits
    7. Christophe Riblon
    8. Adam Hansen
    9. Rui Alberto Costa
    10. Manuel Quinziato

That is a bizarre list. Actually the whole thing is bizarre. The methodology seems really shonky when applied to what is considered 'best' in cycling. Is best only time? Because how do you include sprinters in that?
    Correlation is not causation.
  • Pross
    I reckon Sky were excluded as Bernie would have taken all top 10 spots and blown the theory of the person doing the research. It certainly looks a strange list though as it isn't really dominated by the top riders is it which sort of suggests the conclusion was drawn up without the researcher checking the riders results.
  • dish_dash
    RichN95 wrote:
    CORVOS_00022648-005.jpg
    1. Who is the bloke at the front?

Apparently it is Ji Cheng - Chinese rider for Giant-Shimano. Not sure why he's in the photo...
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Apparently it is Ji Cheng - Chinese rider for Giant-Shimano. Not sure why he's in the photo...

Globalisation of cycling. Money.
  • RichN95.
    dish_dash wrote:
    To be fair, Phinney's a little out of his depth in terms of palmares, too. (Although he'll probably win the race, so I can't make too much out of that)
  • RichN95 wrote:
    dish_dash wrote:
    To be fair, Phinney's a little out of his depth in terms of palmares, too. (Although he'll probably win the race, so I can't make too much out of that)

They needed Phinney to make an aesthetically pleasing pyramid shape (and as a North American).

I'm reading too much into this aren't I?
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,612
    You wouldn't think that was a bunch of some of the fittest and most talented athletes around if you didn't know who they were, would you?
  • RichN95.
    You wouldn't think that was a bunch of some of the fittest and most talented athletes around if you didn't know who they were, would you?
    From left to right: Games developer, meth dealer, soap opera star, banker, Nathan Barley, Albanian gangster, holiday rep, Timmy Mallet, plumber in Magaluf.
    CORVOS_00022648-005.jpg
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    RichN95 wrote:
    From left to right: Games developer, meth dealer, soap opera star, banker, Nathan Barley, Albanian gangster, holiday rep, Timmy Mallet, plumber in Magaluf.
    CORVOS_00022648-005.jpg

Great list.

Although you got the soap opera star wrong - it's the guy from Sparks. " this beach ain't big enough for the 9 of us"
  • PBo
    PBo Posts: 2,493
    Oh - and great call on Nathan barley. Can't believe they only made one series.
  • On this basis is pro cycling going to have a parade ring like they do in horse racing so that the punters can size up the riders before submitting their PTP predictions?
  • On this basis is pro cycling going to have a parade ring like they do in horse racing so that the punters can size up the riders before submitting their PTP predictions?

Like this you mean?

tourthor-copy1.jpg
  • cornelisse85.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest