Wiggins interview

Wheelspinner
Wheelspinner Posts: 6,562
edited February 2014 in Pro race
Open One+ BMC TE29 Seven 622SL On One Scandal Cervelo RS

Comments

• I for one hope he has a great year. The reasons for the level of performance last year are his own as far as I am concerned, obviously things were not right. Be interesting to be a fly on the wall in any future contract negotiation.
  • He says he's happy to support Froome, we'll see of course if he can handle that. But I think a tour with Froome as the leader and Wiggins as his No. 2 would be great to watch.
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    He says he's happy to support Froome, we'll see of course if he can handle that. But I think a tour with Froome as the leader and Wiggins as his No. 2 would be great to watch.

Bit early for a 2012 sequel :wink:
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • Macaloon wrote:
    He says he's happy to support Froome, we'll see of course if he can handle that. But I think a tour with Froome as the leader and Wiggins as his No. 2 would be great to watch.

Watch it, Maca, I've got my beadies on you

:wink:
  • Macaloon wrote:

haha :D
  • Macaloon wrote:

haha :D

Beadies on you too, Mark

:wink:
  • The Cyclingnews piece about Paris-Roubaix is interesting ... If he does well (top 5) it would be one hell of a way to show what he can do ...

Throw in a reasonable attempt at LBL and you've got a decent season even without the TdF ... I know it sounds daft with only targeting a couple of races but Boonen and Fab do that every year ... and IF Wiggins could somehow beat them at their own game at PR it would go a long way to banishing last years Giro debacle ...
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384

It will be a sleep fest.
    What will be good is if Belgium born Wiggins gets some time on Kenyan born Froome and Sky are in chaos and their riders are not sure who to ride for and Froome and Wiggo are at each others throats.

Then I may stay awake.
  • mike6
    mike6 Posts: 1,199

Why not? Ride as No2 to the favorite and he rides without any pressure. Froome has a problem or poor form and Wiggins can take over, If he has the legs. Cant wait. :D
  • dish_dash
    dish_dash Posts: 5,560
    Apparently the big target is the Tour of California!

http://www.theguardian.com/sport/blog/2 ... is-roubaix
  • ^Its the 4th GT, doncha know
  • dish_dash
    ha ha... it though that was the TdU?!

And given the tone in the Fotheringham article will Wiggins leave Sky next year, move to the US, and set up/ride with a US based cycling outfit?
  • dish_dash wrote:
    And given the tone in the Fotheringham article will Wiggins leave Sky next year, move to the US, and set up/ride with a US based cycling outfit?

On the other hand the other article says he's looking to go back to track racing again. Take your pick.
  • dish_dash wrote:

Every blessed journo puts on their own interpretation from their interviews

This is Matt Slatter's BBC video inteview with him re his future
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/sport/0/cycling/26044781
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    dish_dash wrote:

Called Farmin' with brown/green tweed designs on the jersey and a flat Helmet?

Man I want a tweed design helmet now! Would be great for the MTB...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,391
    Are they cycling caps? Wow, my urban cyclist outfit just got an upgrade!!!

but something like a Giro Xar with a tweed colourway was what i was thinking...
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • That is some beard.......

team-sky-training-camp-20140204-162116-811_zpsa8db8ace.jpg
    Contador is the Greatest
  • And he starts again ...

I thought Brad didn't want to talk about doping?
  • andyp
    andyp Posts: 10,112
    He doesn't. He wants to talk about not doping. There is not so subtle difference.
  • andy_wrx
    andy_wrx Posts: 3,396
    What sort of weight do you need to be for P-R ?

He might find it more do-able if it doesn't require getting back to skeletal again
  • andyp wrote:
    He doesn't. He wants to talk about not doping. There is not so subtle difference.

Yes, he gets to be a touch more snide when talking about the latter ...
  • andy_wrx wrote:

He might find it more do-able if it doesn't require getting back to skeletal again

Not sure he'll be seeing 69kg again. But then again, you never know with him.
  • RichN95.
    RichN95. Posts: 27,157
    andy_wrx wrote:

Even if he was, that's not a problem for Paris-Roubaix. O'Grady & Van Petegem were about 70kg. Stybar's only 68kg. It's not like Wiggins was ever Quintana size.
    Twitter: @RichN95
  • RichN95 wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:

Even if he was, that's not a problem for Paris-Roubaix. O'Grady & Van Petegem were about 70kg. Stybar's only 68kg. It's not like Wiggins was ever Quintana size.

I feel a photoshop moment coming on
  • RichN95 wrote:
    andy_wrx wrote:

I feel a photoshop moment coming on

He's a similar body shape to Boonen, isn't he? 192cm and 81kg for Tom and 190 and 72kg for Wiggins. That would indicate that being too heavy isn;t going to be an issue.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash
    Key issue for me regarding Wiggo and PR is not his weight per se but his technical ability on rough roads in often tough (wet/muddy) weather conditions. Love him to win, but I've got my doubts.
  • smithy21
    smithy21 Posts: 2,204
    Was that a new under the radar sky signing I saw on the Guardian video- Ben Smith?
  • dish_dash wrote:
    Key issue for me regarding Wiggo and PR is not his weight per se but his technical ability on rough roads in often tough (wet/muddy) weather conditions. Love him to win, but I've got my doubts.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Pt5h-rnsF6I

In his defence however, he did get a top 20 with Garmin there.
    "In many ways, my story was that of a raging, Christ-like figure who hauled himself off the cross, looked up at the Romans with blood in his eyes and said 'My turn, sock cookers'"

@gietvangent
  • dish_dash wrote:

Good to see him setting himself some proper goals though, rather than just ambling through another season. I get the impression Wiggins struggles to achieve the same thing twice, so targeting something different like PR might give him something to fight for.