Do Conti GP 4 Seasons size up small?

nammynake
nammynake Posts: 196
edited February 2014 in Road general
I've recently been using Conti GP4000s in 23mm size. Excellent tyre but following 2 p*nctures in 3 rides I decided to fit some GP 4 Seasons in 23mm. I have Crud Road Racer mudguards and the GP4000s had only minimal clearance but the 4 Seasons are significantly smaller, obvious by a lot more clearance.

I'm wondering if the 25mm 4 Seasons would have been a better choice. It's strange that two tyres from the same manufacturer can be so different when the quoted size is the same.

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    My 25mm 4 seasons are way narrower than my 25mm Michelin Pro4. They seem to buck the trend of not being remotly true to size that many 25mm clinchers have.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • frazered
    frazered Posts: 333
    I did not notice any significant difference between them and 25mm gp4000s
  • I've put 4 seasons on two types of wheel recently and 4000s, they all seem the same to me. Can put them on without leavers.
  • edten
    edten Posts: 228
    I had similar a few weeks ago. I normally ride 23mm GP4000s. Installed some 23mm 4seasons and they seemed incredibly narrow. I reeturned them for 25mm which are now slightly wider than the 23mm Gp4000s. I think the 23mm GP4000s come up wide-ish for a 23mm and the 4seasons come up narrow for a 23 so they end up being pretty similar in width.
  • The 4 seasons 25mm are more like 24mm. They are narrow for the stated size.
  • apreading
    apreading Posts: 4,535
    Dont know about the smaller sizes, but my GP4S 28's rear is more like 26mm - you can barely tell the difference between them and the GP4000S 25's on the front. Same rims too.
  • Yep, my 25mm Conti 4000s look fatter than my Conti GP 4 seasons. Not measured them so not sure whether the 4 seasons are small or the 4000s are big!
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    25mm 4000s look like barrage balloons compared to the 4 seasons. If you put a 23mm and a 25mm 4000s side by side the 25 looks twice the size, you can actually bounce down the road on them.
  • I use both GP4S and GP4000s tyres both in 25c. The 4000s defintely look bigger because they're all black compared to the GP4S which have a patterned sidewall. You'd have to get the verniers out to measure them to be sure. I'm not at home but might do it if I get a sad anorak moment sometime.
  • Had a quick look at the 23c GP4000s on my road bike against the 25c GP4S on my winter bike and couldn't spot any noticable difference.

Next time I buy for the winter bike I'm going for the GP4S in 28c.
  • nammynake wrote:
    I've recently been using Conti GP4000s in 23mm size. Excellent tyre but following 2 p*nctures in 3 rides I decided to fit some GP 4 Seasons in 23mm. I have Crud Road Racer mudguards and the GP4000s had only minimal clearance but the 4 Seasons are significantly smaller, obvious by a lot more clearance.

I'm wondering if the 25mm 4 Seasons would have been a better choice. It's strange that two tyres from the same manufacturer can be so different when the quoted size is the same.

Same experience re sizing. My GP4000S were slightly rubbing my SKS Raceblade long, but changed to GP4Seasons and plenty of clearance. I believe it's because the GP4000S size up large (23mm is closer to 24mm) but the 4Seasons are a true 23mm.