How tall is Chris Boardman?

bahzob
bahzob Posts: 2,195
edited February 2014 in Road general
Slightly weird question I know but anyone know for sure how tall Chris Boardman is?

Wiki opinion seems to be 1.87m/6'1" but also has a source saying 1.75m/5'9". I'd be more inclined to go with the former based on seeing him on TV but then he may just have been standing next to unusually small folks (cf Gary Imlach) and I didn't think he was quite that big.

Anyone actually met him and know for sure?
Martin S. Newbury RC

Comments

• rodgers73
    rodgers73 Posts: 2,626
    If I had met him I probably wouldn't have measured him. Unless I was a tailor.
  • Garry H
    Garry H Posts: 6,639
    Would have thought that 5'9" was closer to the mark.
  • JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    A few inches shorter than Chris Hoy who is apparently 6'1?136564325_hoy_board_456963b.jpg
  • OK, got to ask - why?
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I did a google and it said he was 12cm high ,,,,,,,,hope that helps
  • From the photo posted 5"9 looks about right.

Men are funny about height I'm 6ft almost to the mm, there are a lot of 6"2 blokes who are a fair bit shorter...
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    I've met him, he's about 5ft9" - certainly not 6ft
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Waht are thoose hybrid bikes they have? :shock:

Hoys handle bars seem extra wide
  • dodgy
    dodgy Posts: 2,890
    See him often around here, drinks occasionally in my local. I'm 6ft 2" and he's quite a bit smaller than me, I'd guess 5ft 10".

He does look taller on TV, though no idea why!
  • According to this pic he is about half a giraffe, by my calculations that puts him anywhere between 8 and 10 feet tall...

1305456088-Chris_Boardman_Chester_Zoo_3.JPG
  • bahzob
    bahzob Posts: 2,195
    Thanks all. 5'9" seems about right and goes to show the dangers of internet knowledge.
    Martin S. Newbury RC
  • rayjay
    wardieboy wrote:
    According to this pic he is about half a giraffe, by my calculations that puts him anywhere between 8 and 10 feet tall...

This is really true. I have seen a giraffe.
  • rayjay wrote:
    wardieboy wrote:
    According to this pic he is about half a giraffe, by my calculations that puts him anywhere between 8 and 10 feet tall...

This is really true. I have seen a giraffe.

I have seen a giraffe and I was taller than it, so I must be about 22ft tall.
  • Upon further investigation I believe the giraffe pic may have been photoshopped. I've found this pic which makes Chris equal to 9.5 house bricks or just a nadge over 2 feet tall:

043473.fpx&obj=iip,1.jpg
  • These ones are small...those ones are far away
    363FEE2E-0080-4203-AE05-AFE0945C5205.jpg
  • These ones are small...those ones are far away
    363FEE2E-0080-4203-AE05-AFE0945C5205.jpg

Beat me to it ;-)
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    bahzob wrote:
    Thanks all. 5'9" seems about right and goes to show the dangers of internet knowledge.

So an internet forum gives you a figure of 5"9 and that is how you dismiss the internet figure of 6"1 :roll:

Not saying it is wrong but your logic defitely is.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Lol @ Wardieboy :D

More internet gold in the making here.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • rayjay
    wardieboy wrote:
    Upon further investigation I believe the giraffe pic may have been photoshopped. I've found this pic which makes Chris equal to 9.5 house bricks or just a nadge over 2 feet tall:

043473.fpx&obj=iip,1.jpg

I think you have been fooled by an illusion.

The rear wheel of the bike in the photo looks bigger. In fact it his smaller. Its just 7 inches high.

What you are seeing is a very rare event in the time/ space slipstream.

Imagine the light is coming at you like a big horse. The horses tail swishes and the light is broken up and the visual image is distorted ....that is what you are seeing.

It's very complicated and only me and Stephen Hawkings au pair can understand exactly how it works.

Your first guess measured against the giraffe is correct.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    smidsy wrote:
    bahzob wrote:

So an internet forum gives you a figure of 5"9 and that is how you dismiss the internet figure of 6"1 :roll:

Not saying it is wrong but your logic defitely is.

Well I know that Dodgy and me see him a fair bit - and there's no way he's 6 foot 1.
  • I'd be very careful with any 'half an animal high' calculations after having once tried to ride along a flooded road where the water was only half way up the ducks

he does however seem to be pretty much exactly the same height as his reflection
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I'd be very careful with any 'half an animal high' calculations after having once tried to ride along a flooded road where the water was only half way up the ducks

he does however seem to be pretty much exactly the same height as his reflection

I think this is actually 2 very similar Chris Boardmans, Boardmen if you like. If you look at the handle behind them you can see they are quite clearly different. and also the lettering on his shorts is different from one to the next!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I'd be very careful with any 'half an animal high' calculations after having once tried to ride along a flooded road where the water was only half way up the ducks

Let's see if we can effortlessly segue into a discussion of The Rules...

Admiring both boardmen's tan lines. Complying nicely.
  • Giraffoto
    Giraffoto Posts: 2,078
    Quite a relevant line of inquiry, since "extra large" in the Boardman line up seems to be 58cm or so.

Incidentally, half a giraffe is a giraffe calf
    Specialized Roubaix Elite 2015
    XM-057 rigid 29er
  • He must be pretty short though; in this photo you can't even see him at all standing behind this couch.

living-room-decorating-ideas.jpg
  • vertigo16 wrote:
    He must be pretty short though; in this photo you can't even see him at all standing behind this couch.

living-room-decorating-ideas.jpg
    Aaah! ... genius. :D
  • Further digging around brings these two Boardman honeymoon photo's to light. Clearly no photoshopping has taken place leading me to believe that Chris is trapped in some kind of pathetic Alice in Wonderland existence.

fnhum-05-00171-g001.jpg
  • rayjay
    wardieboy wrote:
    Further digging around brings these two Boardman honeymoon photo's to light. Clearly no photoshopping has taken place leading me to believe that Chris is trapped in some kind of pathetic Alice in Wonderland existence.

fnhum-05-00171-g001.jpg

This photo has been tampered with. You can clearly see that womans head has been put on John Travolta's Saturday night fever suit. Good try but you don't fool me.
  • DiscoBoy
    DiscoBoy Posts: 905
    Based on his TT bike and yellow jersey that I saw yesterday in the Museum of Liverpool, I came to the conclusion of "not very".
    Red bikes are the fastest.
  • well if we're allowed to take museum 'evidence' into account, I'd say he must at least have very long arms as he keeps his old Lotus right up near the ceiling