Replacing bars and stem every 5000km?

on-yer-bike
on-yer-bike Posts: 2,974
edited February 2014 in Road buying advice
On the Rose site they warn the customer to replace these items every two years or 5000km. Is this really necessary if the bike hasn't been crashed?
Pegoretti
Colnago
Cervelo
Campagnolo

Comments

• Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    Covering their ar5e.
  • 50,000 is more like it
    left the forum March 2023
  • brownbosh
    brownbosh Posts: 602
    no way!
    Damage or 3 -5 years depending on use.
  • keef66
    keef66 Posts: 13,123
    The only time I've replaced bars it was because I wanted a different shape. Never broken a set, and I've fallen off a fair few times. Some are 10 years old and still going.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    I'm not super high mileage compared to many - but that's still a couple of bars and stems on the Audax bike and a bar and stem on the fixed wheel EVERY YEAR!

Tyres last 5000km on average and they're made of soft rubber that's in contact with the tarmac all the time.

I know a few people who've snapped handlebars - almost all of them fixed riders going up hills. Never heard of a stem failure amongst anyone I know.

Clearly a hefty crash is going to be of concern, but periodic inspection (when you do your bar tape etc.) is more than enough for most of us.

Fixed riders should pay a little more attention to their bars for sure (especially if they are riding very long gears regularly).

Nittos on my Audax bike are somewhere around 30000km old and still look amazing. I won't worry overly.
  • Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    I think if you posted this thread over on Retrobike you would get quite a few replies, mostly incredulous :)
  • cadseen
    cadseen Posts: 170
    edited February 2014
    That would be every 2-3 months for me lol ....
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    I am well overdue then maybe I crash and die tomorrow then according to Rose. I have 30 year old bar and stems still riding well.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.