Urgently need Garmin 800 replacement!

neeb
neeb Posts: 4,467
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
F****ng Garmin 800 has died again!! This is the second one I've had, and just like the first one it's lasted almost exactly a year before developing the dreaded "USB cable is connected to the wrong adapter" issue that prevents you uploading any data... I was lucky that I managed to get the last one replaced under warranty but obviously I can't do the same again with the replacement.

So, I urgently need something to replace it. Not so much bothered about the maps (although they are nice to have) - considering the 500 or 510, but can someone tell me if the smaller screen allows as many fields as the 800 and is as easy to read? I use a power meter and like to have lots of different data on the main screen.

Have the teething problems with the 810 all been sorted out now with firmware updates, or is the 800 still more reliable? Again, not so much bothered about wireless connectivity or live tracking, my main reason for considering going with the 810 would be the supposedly improved menu system etc.

Anything else I should be considering? Need GPS, reliable ANT+ power reading, etc.

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    neeb wrote:
    F****ng Garmin 800 has died again!! This is the second one I've had, and just like the first one it's lasted almost exactly a year before developing the dreaded "USB cable is connected to the wrong adapter" issue that prevents you uploading any data... I was lucky that I managed to get the last one replaced under warranty but obviously I can't do the same again with the replacement.

Why not. A warranty isn't a guarantee that the unit will last a year - it is a device to ensure that if the item is faulty, there is enough time for the fault to appear and for you to get it replaced without trouble.

The second unit appears to have the same fault as the first one and it took the same amount of time for it to appear. Therefore Garmin have just the same responsibility to replace it as the first one.

If you think about it, given that your first one expired just before the warranty end, effectively, if Garmin won't replace the new one now then neither would they have replaced it one year and one day after the original purchase. Would you have been happy to receive a replacement unit on the basis that the replacement had barely any warranty on it at all and that you'd already had a failure of one? I certainly wouldn't.

I once bought a lamp off Argos with a years warranty. After a while, the wiring to one of the bulbs would fail - each time it happened I took it back to Argos and got a replacement. After about 3 years and at a goood half dozen lamps I got one that worked and it's still fine 10 years later.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • defride
    defride Posts: 277
    Warranty is only a manufacturer backing up the shop and giving you rights over and above statutory rights. According to the Sale of Goods Act the unit must work for a reasonable period, one year, even two isn't a reasonable period (usually 6 years for electronics). If it's been replaced before for the same fault they haven't a leg to stand on. If the shop don't play ball contact trading standards for advice on how to move things on
  • neeb
    Wow, I hope you are both right. I was assuming that the device was sold with a 1 year warranty based on the purchase price, and that the replacement would not be guaranteed more than a year after the original purchase. But I take your point - what if they had sent me a replacement 1 day before the warranty expired and it had been faulty on receipt, this being 1 day after the original warranty expired?

Although a problem is that even if they do replace it, I really need another one now, not in 2 or 3 weeks time... I might end up having to buy another one (I can get an 800 for a decent price locally) and selling the warranty replacement on ebay.

Whatever, I now know it is definitely necessary to put the thing inside a plastic bag when using it on the indoor trainer. I suspect it's the salt as much as the water in sweat that causes the problem.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    It depends on their attitude but I'd be kicking up a stink if they were awkward about it. Besides, I'm pretty sure you have at least two years in the UK by default and more depending on the reasonable life expectancy of the product.

But they can't get round the fact that they sold you a faulty item, replaced it (thereby accepting that it was faulty) and supplied a replacement that had exactly the same fault. As far as I am concerned, when a product is replaced, the warranty is reset.

Personally, if I was given the run around by a company I'd look for the replacement from a competitor.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • neeb
    Garmin do specifically say on their website that repairs (and by implication, replacements) under warranty are themselves only warranted for 90 days..

http://www.garmin.com/uk/support/warranty/

Anyone had any luck returning a replacement unit between 90 days and 1 year after receiving it?
  • ianbz
    ianbz Posts: 27
    I'm on my third. Supplied by Amazon. First lasted 8 months before freezing. All the intenet tips didnt work. Second had the same problem after 2 months. Hopefully its third time lucky!!
  • defride wrote:
    Warranty is only a manufacturer backing up the shop and giving you rights over and above statutory rights. According to the Sale of Goods Act the unit must work for a reasonable period, one year, even two isn't a reasonable period (usually 6 years for electronics).

This.
    A warranty is not worth the paper it is written on. In the UK you are covered by the SOG Act 1979 as amended, which means that the goods should last for a reasonable amount of time, which is normally about 6 years. This does not however mean that you are entitled to a replacement after 5 years and 364 days if it goes wrong, as it would be on a sliding scale ie: after 5 years maybe you would be entitled to either a repair or 10-20% of value.
    If they kick us a fuss, just plead the SOG Act and say that the device has failed with a known problem.
  • rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    The warranty is with the retailer that sold you the unit/supplied the replacenement, NOT Garmin. They (the retailer) may try and palm you off with Garmin, but in law they sold it, they support ther warranty. Good luck!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    The original warranty is through the retailer.

In my case I need a replacement 800 because the power button has failed again - the last one failed last summer and the new one that I bought as a replacement through Garmin (direct) has failed - it's outside the 90 day "warranty" but I think I have grounds to claim for a free replacement. Thankfully I paid for the replacement on credit card so could claim via them if I get nowhere with Garmin ... hmmm must sort that out PDQ.
  • I'm having the same issue with the HR belt.

1st one failed after 10/11 months. Garmin France sent me a new, redesigned one.

This one has now failed after 8 months. But Garmin tried to tell me that the replacement was 'an exceptional gesture' and that was it as far as they were concerned.

I pointed out that the replacement should last at least a year, as with any of their products. He tried to say it had no implied warranty, which is clearly ridiculous.

Anyway, it's gone off to them today, so fingers crossed I'll get a new one.
  • neeb
    Well, whatever happens I figured I wasn't going to get a replacement quickly, and as I need something to display my power readings over the next few weeks I've gone and picked up a new 800. I can still see a significant blip on my training progress from this time last year when I had to send back the last one! At least this one isn't blue and so doesn't clash with all of my gear..

But I'm also going to try my damnedest to get the old one repaired or replaced. If I'm successful I'll then need to decide whether to sell it or keep it as a backup - the security of the latter is quite tempting.