Wheel building advice...

Dawesy92
Dawesy92 Posts: 606
edited February 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Right so im sorting some new wheels out this year. I've picked the hubs (hope pro2 evo) and the rims (Nukeproof Generator TR) my questions is down to the spokes.. my lbs has said they will put them together for me but im wondering weather to go for the dt swiss comp spokes they're offering or go for bleded spokes.

What I want to know is whats the advantages of bladed spokes over normal spokes, as my current mavics have the bladed ones which is why im asking.

Hope this is the right section..

Comments

• njee20
    njee20 Posts: 9,613
    Sod all. Higher fatigue strength, but that's about it.

Aerolites are a bit lighter than Competitions, but virtually the same as a Revolution, as it's just a flattened version.

Had several sets of wheels with CX-Rays and Aerolites, don't bother now.
  • Dawesy92
    Ahh right cool!
    Thanks for the, I'll stick with the dt swiss comps then as thats what the price included. :) just gotta get the hubs and rims brought now!! :)
  • njee20
    Competitions will also build a stiffer wheel.
  • Dawesy92
    Thats all good then!! :)
  • If you're building with a hope hub why not get a hope hoop already pre-built and forget messing around with nukeproof stuff?
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Dawesy92
    Was looking at and I preffer the nukeproof rim. Cherts though.
  • stubs
    stubs Posts: 5,001
    Bladed spokes tend not to be in stock and you could wait a week. Normal spokes any decent shop will have them in stock as long as its not a funny size and your back on the trail in 15 minutes.
    Fig rolls: proof that god loves cyclists and that she wants us to do another lap
  • njee20
    Bit of a non issue that, as you can just stick a standard round spoke in to keep you going.
  • Dawesy92
    Okay cheers for the help. I'll go with the comp spokes that im being offered! :)
  • Each to their own, personally not a fan of hayes stuff (who make the nukeproof rims they're even marked as sun ringle who is owned by hayes). I'd always take a mavic or a DT swiss over a ringle.

In regards to your spokes, just get the comps. They'll be fine.
    Community police have been on the look out for a vandal by the name of \'The Elusive Lout\'. Any information you could give would be gratefully received.
  • Dawesy92
    In that case mini-death, for the same price £40 per rim - what would you go for? Need it to be strong and light ideally less that 500g per rim (26" rim)
  • Well like I said, hope hubs, get a hope hoops. If you're determined to have a build done, look at some DT Swiss E530s.

Probably a shade over your weight limit but I'd trust them a lot more.
  • Dawesy92
    Okay cheers, will have a look about :)
  • Dawesy92
    Whats people tskes on the NS Bikes Trailmaster Rim?