28H Hub Choice

Escher303
Escher303 Posts: 342
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
My rear wheel rim is nearing the end of its life and as I need to have it rebuilt soon I'm thinking of changing the hub. It's a Velocity A23 28H currently with a Novatec 482SL hub ably built by Ugo. But I'm on my third set of bearings, second free hub in 7000 miles and I'd like something a little more robust and reliable. I've also found the ABG (anti bite guard) freehub no different to the normal one, they've both had the cassette bite in by the same amount. I really like the rims so intend to get the same again.

I'd like something light, strong and cheap but realise I have to pick two. Can't find any 28H Shimano hubs, Hope Pro 3 seem like an option, not sure of any alternatives. Any ideas?

Comments

• You are the very reason I gave up using the 482 rear hub (and the Bitex you had on previously)... :wink:
    If you chew freehubs, Hope won't be much better... the best option would be to bite the bullet and get a Dura Ace, as the freehub is titanium instead of aluminium... they are on offer at Evans at 150, which is a lot of money, but it is significant saving over the 200+ they retail normally.

You have the older A 23, the newer ones are tubeless ready and they are a bit more of a PITA to live with, meaning tighter fit and you have to use tubeless rim tape. I would suggest H plus Son Archetype is a better choice if you don't want to go tubeless... the ride is the same
    left the forum March 2023
  • racingcondor
    racingcondor Posts: 1,434
    Agree. DA is the only Shimano hub in less than 32 hole and the Ti freehub means it doesn't get chewed like every other hub I've used.

They aren't cheap but they are outstanding hubs.
  • styxd
    styxd Posts: 3,234
    Check out white industries, fair enoguh not super cheap, but they shoudl last for ever. Ti freehub body so less chance of getting chewed up.
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I was going to say Ambrosio Zeniths - but I think they're the same as the "lower" model Novatecs (171/2?) - I think they're more reliable? Ugo?
  • mroli wrote:
    I was going to say Ambrosio Zeniths - but I think they're the same as the "lower" model Novatecs (171/2?) - I think they're more reliable? Ugo?

The bearings last longer, but the splines are made of the same material
  • Escher303
    Escher303 Posts: 342
    Thanks all. Will have to keep the wheels going long enough to save my pennies and go for Dura Ace, I probably didn't much convincing!
  • Or you get an Ultegra hub and resign to 4 extra spokes, weighin a massive 28 grams with the nipples!
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Miche Primato, Novatec A171/F172 (miche is the best out of those two). If you have the coin DA 9000 or if you can find them (I had some but sold both pairs) ultegra 6600 28H. Personally alloy freehubs have never bothered me and the Miche freehubs are on of the better alloy freehubs, they still dent but cassettes come of fine.

I bet you are using the A291/F482 hub in wet weather as well. I do not use them much as I warm everyone who ask these hubs are for dry roads, they do not take kindly to being riden in condtion like we have at present. Also the heavier the rider the quciker the bearings will wear. I do not know what bearings you are putting in but if fit INA bearings you will get bearing life but these bearings still will make these an all weather hub.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.