wheel truing in yorkshire

bennyy
bennyy Posts: 141
edited January 2014 in MTB workshop & tech
Can anybody reccomended a good wheel builder to true my wheels, I took them to my lbs who are normally good at most jobs, noticed when I got home they were slightly egg shaped and spoke tension was all over the place, first decent ride they are needing doing again. I am based in south Yorkshire and they are mavic crossrides.

Cheers

Comments

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    Where abouts in s yorks?
  • bennyy
    Doncaster but don't mind traveling to surrounding areas for a good job.
  • http://www.justridingalong.com/

Just re- rimmed my crossmax sx. They build lots of custom wheels all the time, so I'd go with them :)
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    JRA used to only do wheels bought from/built by them I take it this policy has now changed?
    One One/Planet-X in Rotherham did my last true...£15 for both wheels!!!
  • ibbo68 wrote:
    JRA used to only do wheels bought from/built by them I take it this policy has now changed?
    One One/Planet-X in Rotherham did my last true...£15 for both wheels!!!

Yes as I didn't buy the wheels from them
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    That's good to know :)
  • I was surprised but the best work I have had done on wheels in York itself was Evans. I've got to say the Evans in York I have found to be fantastic a completely different experience to the shop in Reading, it might have changed now but I hated that place.

Not to say any of the indie shops aren't good... Fulford cycles also did a good job on my wheels, I just found the service at Evans was just that bit better.
    MmmBop

Go big or go home.
  • bennyy
    £20-£30 on wheel trueing, probably another £20-£30 in fuel in my car, the wheels are only £140 new.

I think I am going to have one final go myself, Ias I would love to be able to do it myself, can get the rim fairly straight, but it never seems to stay there, spoke tension is where I struggle, I suppose lots of reading to be done then have a go myself, not easy without a spoke tension meter.
  • Chunkers1980
    Chunkers1980 Posts: 8,035
    A round and true wheel where no parts are bent or mis-shapen must have the same spoke tension for all spokes on each side. A simple pluck and squeeze test works just fine
  • bennyy
    Thanks, I'm just going to take my time and aim for equal spoke tension, I think I just have the one flat spot on each rim, it appears to be good vertically until one point where it drops almost instantly, then think it rises slowly and evenly until it reaches the same spot where it drops rapidly again, it's the same on both front and rear. Wish me luck.
  • benpinnick
    benpinnick Posts: 4,148
    +1 for JRA. I used to ride with Jon many years ago. Nice guy.
    A Flock of Birds
    + some other bikes.