Carten100

chuckla
chuckla Posts: 132
edited January 2014 in Road general
Not touched the road bike since October, been on the stumpy at Bike Park Wales!

Signed up for the www.carten100.com this morning, was 108 miles last year, my first century+! Apparently sold out in 4 hours! 1300 riders!

Training starts now!!!

Anyone else signed up for it!?

Comments

• Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    75 quid is way too much for a bog-standard century with 1300 choppers. Hope you have fun though.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Grill wrote:
    75 quid is way too much for a bog-standard century with 1300 choppers. Hope you have fun though.

£75 includes the riding jersey which you are required to wear. Returning riders, who already have the jersey only pay £40. And it's for charity. And it pre-dates most sportives.

I'm not connected with the event - I just thought your comment was somewhat ignorant and needed clarifying.
  • chuckla
    I did it last year so only £40 for me. Most of the cash goes to the charity, this year its Marie Curie so its well worth the cause!

Its more of a personal challenge than anything else, it was my first century with only about 6 weeks training, was overweight and pretty unfit at the time! Couple that with a 25+ MPH headwind the entire way made for a really hard ride! Took me 11 hours!

Looking to do sub 8 hours this year if I can!
  • Grill
    Imposter wrote:
    Grill wrote:

£75 includes the riding jersey which you are required to wear. Returning riders, who already have the jersey only pay £40. And it's for charity. And it pre-dates most sportives.

I'm not connected with the event - I just thought your comment was somewhat ignorant and needed clarifying.

I'm well aware of all those things. I know many people who have done it. My feelings on mass participation events and the use of charity to justify a jolly should be well known by now. Also, if I'm paying over the odds for an event (regardless of where the money ends up) I want it to be for something I can't do any old day of the week.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    edited January 2014
    Are "choppers" the cyclists or cycles, and what qualifies such a description?
  • imposter2.0
    Grill wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Grill wrote:

I'm well aware of all those things. I know many people who have done it. My feelings on mass participation events and the use of charity to justify a jolly should be well known by now. Also, if I'm paying over the odds for an event (regardless of where the money ends up) I want it to be for something I can't do any old day of the week.

There you go again....
  • Grill
    WHat a shame that everyone on this forum doesn't have the same opinion... :P
  • Gethinceri wrote:
    Are "choppers" the cyclists or cyclists, and what qualifies such a description?

This is a chopper http://www.retrowow.co.uk/retro_collect ... pper_2.jpg and I would be happy to pay £ 75 to ride one a 100 miles with 1299 like minded souls :D
  • Moonbiker
    Moonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Just ride same route without paying or is that naughty?

You could doante some money directly to a charity of youe choice maybe
  • imposter2.0
    Moonbiker wrote:

You could do all of those things. But the Carten is 100 miles in one direction. So if you did ride the route, you would probably need to factor in a B&B, or arrange a lift back.
  • Grill
    Moonbiker wrote:

My club did that last year, although took a far more interesting and hillier route.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    Imposter wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

You could do all of those things. But the Carten is 100 miles in one direction. So if you did ride the route, you would probably need to factor in a B&B, or arrange a lift back.

or turn right around and ride back again might as well make a day of it
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • imposter2.0
    sub55 wrote:
    Imposter wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

or turn right around and ride back again might as well make a day of it

or that... ;)
  • chuckla
    Grill wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

My club did that last year, although took a far more interesting and hillier route.

The standard route was very hilly mind, your club rode to Tenby on the same day, really into the spirit of it taking a different route...

:roll:
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    taken from the web site
    The Bike Ride has a total ascent of 343103.2 m

:?:
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • chuckla
    sub55 wrote:
    taken from the web site
    The Bike Ride has a total ascent of 343103.2 m

:?:

Strava record my total elevation gain as 5510ft about 1670 metres last year
  • Grill
    chuckla wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

The standard route was very hilly mind, your club rode to Tenby on the same day, really into the spirit of it taking a different route...

I was unaware that you knew so much about my club's affairs... :roll:
    1. It was sold out
    2. It was on a different day
    3. Our club sponsors provided a support vehicle and money was donated to charity
    4. The route was different (north of the M4 to find a couple hills)
    5. The Tenby route is not even close to being hilly. It's almost pan-flat until after Swansea...
  • chuckla
    Grill wrote:
    chuckla wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

I was unaware that you knew so much about my club's affairs... :roll:
    1. It was sold out
    2. It was on a different day
    3. Our club sponsors provided a support vehicle and money was donated to charity
    4. The route was different (north of the M4 to find a couple hills)
    5. The Tenby route is not even close to being hilly. It's almost pan-flat until after Swansea...

Ok, if we're being pedantic!

1. I dont, however Ajax is not exactly secret about their rides
    2. It does sell out quickly
    3. Your comment eluded that it was the same day
    4. Very good!
    5. It might not be very billy for a seasoned distance and hill climbing pervert like yourself, but for the average bloke like me, it's pretty hilly!

:o
  • Grill
    Hilly = 100ft per mile
    Come do our hilly 50 reliability ride this weekend (it's not that hilly).
  • chuckla
    Grill wrote:
    Hilly = 100ft per mile
    Come do our hilly 50 reliability ride this weekend (it's not that hilly).

What's the route?!

I'm not the fastest climber! I never get off and push, but I carry weight (slowly coming off) so I'm slower that the light riders! By the the time I get to the top of the first hill, I reckon you'd be long gone!
  • Grill
    Maindy - Pentyrch - Llantrisant - Porth - Maerdy - Aberdare - Mountain Ash - Pontypridd - Maindy

The only steep climb is Penrhys. I think there are about 6 groups so far.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    Nice route @Grill, what time and day? Is this open to "all-comers"?
  • Grill
    Reg is closed for the 50 (this Sunday) but the 75 and 100 are still open.
    http://www.cardiffajaxcycling.co.uk/reliability-ride-registration/