Does anyone know what these are?

Gazmania1
Gazmania1 Posts: 87
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Morning all,

Wondered if anyone can help?

I've just been changing the rear wheel on my bike and it was turned upside down when I was doing it. When I turned it the right way up I found these screw things underneath my bike. I don't recognise them and I can't find where they might have come from, so does anyone know what they are? Obviously don't want to be missing some vitally important bit?

Cheers

image-4.jpg[/URL]

Comments

• jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    The top one is a shimano chain-linkng pin.
    The bottom one looks like part of a gear- or brake-cable adjuster (would screw into a fixed housing somewhere on the frame or other hardware - screwing it in/out adjusts tension).
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Top is a chain joining pin, as above.

Bottom looks like the bit from a Park chain tool. They are replaceable as they sometimes break.
  • arlowood
    arlowood Posts: 2,561
    The top one looks like some sort of extended ferrule that would fit onto a gear or brake cable where it goes through a frame mount.

The bottom one looks like some sort of barrel adjuster that would fit on a gear/brake cable (?rear mech/ brake caliper) to allow cable tension to be adjusted.

Did you fiddle with any of the cabling during your work?
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,547
    presumably they fell out of the seat tube or saddlebag

is the bike old/secondhand?
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    Bottom looks like the bit from a Park chain tool. They are replaceable as they sometimes break.
    Ah, yes - was just looking again and thinking it was probably too small for an adjuster.
  • smidsy
    smidsy Posts: 5,273
    If your bike is fully functioning they are obviously from a previous uses.

+1 vote for rogue/spare items.
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • Thanks everyone, they are indeed from my chain splitter tool that somehow managed to disintegrate in my saddlebag.
  • Top is a chain joining pin, as above.

+1
    left the forum March 2023