replacing Zonda freehub cartridge bearing

russello
russello Posts: 102
edited January 2014 in Workshop
Just finished stripping and regreasing my rear wheel, and it is still not running smooth.

The cartridge bearing inside the freehub body sounds 'gritty' and as if it needs replacing.

I see the cartridge bearings are only a few pounds to replace, but i don't think they are mean to be servicable at home.

I'm weighing up the cost of a brand new freehub (and fitting myself) vs. new freehub bearings (but bike shop fitting cost).

Any DIY tips for replacing the freehub bearings - is this possible?

russ

Comments

• I don't think any LBS will bother to do that... have a go yourself... worst for worst you fail and need to buy a new freehub. Sometimes it's easy, other times not so... depends how the bearing is lodged and how easy it is to displace the spacer between the two bearings
    left the forum March 2023
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    The outer one is easy - the inner less so (but if you are lucky, it is only the outer that needs changing). The problem is the c clip that is in the way of the inner bearing (not really convinced it serves a purpose other than to annoy) I drilled a hole in the side of the freehub and levered it out using a jewellers screwdriver. Putting it all back together was straightforward. Araldite filled the hole in the freehub body.

Bearings are cheap on Ebay. I did the two freehub bearings and the four wheelbearings for a pair of Khamsins for about £20 irrc.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • russello
    Thanks x 2.

Off to get some freehub bearings.
  • russello
    Just checking it is these that i need.

http://www.singletrackbikes.co.uk/m7b15 ... earing_X_1

russ
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I got double sealed ones from Ebay. I think those are the wheel bearings and only single sealed. You can see on the bearing itself what spec it should be. Here is a thread I posted in at the time I did mine. viewtopic.php?f=40004&t=12941229&p=18540165&hilit=campagnolo+%26+khamsin+%26+freehub+%26+bearings#p18540165
    Faster than a tent.......