Clipless pedals advice please

2»

Comments

• If the pro peloton thought MTB SPD were better then they would be using those. Fact is that SPD-SL is more efficient for racing. However I reiterate that if you aren't a pro level rider you won't notice any difference.

The pro peloton uses whatever the manufacturers want them to. Most riders use kit sponsor pedals, and therefore the top pros have all probably raced on the lot.

But that 'fact' you gave; do tell... :lol:
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    Don't have any facts but to my mind road shoes are generally stiffer and a snugger fit, and road pedals/cleats are generally a better designed connection between the shoe and the bike.

All this should mean that more of the riders energy is transferred to the bike and therefor the bike will go faster with any given amount of energy.

Would not say they were slower and as I do not believe anything that different can be exactly the same, and that only leaves faster.

How much faster? I would say hardly any faster at all, but faster all the same.

I would not buy road shoes and pedals/cleats to go faster, but I would buy them for other reasons and then train to go faster.
  • Carbonator wrote:
    Don't have any facts but to my mind road shoes are generally stiffer and a snugger fit, and road pedals/cleats are generally a better designed connection between the shoe and the bike.

All this should mean that more of the riders energy is transferred to the bike and therefor the bike will go faster with any given amount of energy.

Would not say they were slower and as I do not believe anything that different can be exactly the same, that only leaves faster.

How much faster? I would say hardly any faster at all, but faster all the same.

I would not buy road shoes and cleats to go faster, but I would buy them for other reasons and train to go faster.

Clearly the recessed design is a constraint, but I don't see any major issues with it; and pretty much any argument you can make here echoes what Speedplay have to say about their pedals in comparison to other road pedals (e.g. platform 25% bigger). In terms of real performance, I have no reason to believe that you'd see any significant performance differences outside of controlled lab testing.

Sure, commuting shoes are a tad flexible, but MTB and CX racing shoes need to be stiff as well.