Forum home Mountain biking forum MTB general

Registration number for cyclists

oxomanoxoman Posts: 9,281
edited January 2014 in MTB general
I just thought you might like to read this, imagine riding Cannock in a hi viz vest with your reg number on and being pulled up for going to fast around the Monkey Trail.

Just spotted a column in my local paper, The Burton Mail. Apparently the MEP for the West Midlands Nikki Sinclaire is calling for all cyclists to be registered for more accountability and suggested that all cyclists should wear a hi viz vest with the registration number on just like a car. Best of it is we voted for her to be an MEP, well some numpty did and she describes herself as an occasional cyclist.
Can't see this going down well imagine the TDF riders all wearing hi viz vests all the same or Holland or any other country wanting this. I am posting this in other sections and apologise in advance if this has been picked up before or for any heartache it might cause to those of a nervous disposition to hi viz vests. Good god we will have to wear a hi viz vest just to go shopping next.
Too many bikes according to Mrs O.

• cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    Plenty of politicians are insane.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • RockmonkeySCRockmonkeySC Posts: 15,247
    Pointless. What are they going to do, put points on your cycling licence? That could make cycling insurance unaffordable.
  • BriggoBriggo Posts: 3,823
    Treating the symptom, not the root cause.

As usual.
  • Kowalski675Kowalski675 Posts: 4,412
    Road cyclists should carry a reg plate and 3rd party insurance should be mandatory, most are a bleedin' menace. Any infringements of traffic law and the points should go on their driving licence (might deter them from running red lights etc). If they don't have a driving licence to put points on then give them a much bigger fine.
  • CookehCookeh Posts: 351
    Pointless. What are they going to do, put points on your cycling licence? That could make cycling insurance unaffordable.
    Road cyclists should carry a reg plate and 3rd party insurance should be mandatory, most are a bleedin' menace. Any infringements of traffic law and the points should go on their driving licence (might deter them from running red lights etc). If they don't have a driving licence to put points on then give them a much bigger fine.

They already do. Speeding on a cycle results in points on your drivers license, as would failing to stop at red lights - assuming they ever got caught.
    Cookeh wrote:
    as would failing to stop at red lights - assuming they ever got caught.

Maybe when they do it once to often and get caught by the HGV coming through the lights legitimately they'll learn their lesson.
  • supersonicsupersonic Posts: 82,708 Lives Here
    You cannot get points on your license for speeding. The offence only applies to motor vehicles.
  • supersonic wrote:
    You cannot get points on your license for speeding. The offence only applies to motor vehicles.

Can't get points for RLJ'ing on a cycle either.

However you can be disqualified from driving should the court decide...
  • BigAlBigAl Posts: 3,122

Most are a menace? Rubbish - some are.

And how do you define a road cyclist? I ride my MTB on the road to get to the trails - as most do. What about a 12 year old?
    Mandatory 10 year custodial sentence for riding two abreast while wearing lycra would be nice too. :lol:
  • angry_birdangry_bird Posts: 3,784
    supersonic wrote:

This is what I thought, also how would it be possible to enforce as surely there's no legal requirement for a speedometer on a bicycle?
    Mandatory 10 year custodial sentence for riding two abreast while wearing lycra would be nice too. :lol:

Why? It's much more socialble than cycling in single file!?!
  • Personal opinion, but in general I find that motorbikes are way worse than any cyclists on the road.

Presumably you are a motorist as well as a cyclist?

Do you always give cyclists enough room when overtaking?

When I was a lot younger I did a lot of road riding. If I could reach an overtaking car - I would bang on the side of it with my right hand. Okay a bit aggressive and I wouldn't do it now I'm older. But many would stop and confront me and inevitably an arguement would follow. But thy could never answer when I told them - if I can reach your car then you are too close.
    Angry Bird wrote:

Because they get in the way and cause tailbacks.
    BigAl wrote:

I'm not a cyclist. Perish the thought... :lol:
    BigAl wrote:

:?:

Maybe a cyclolist? Or do I have to call you a biker?
    Personal opinion, but in general I find that motorbikes are way worse than any cyclists on the road.

Personal opinion (albeit backed up by plenty of fact), but in general I find that motorcyclists are far and away the best, most aware and skilled road users, with observational skills most car drivers can only dream of - they need to be, to survive amongst all the other incompetent, useless f**kwits on the roads. But I suspect that you know that already, and your post is just a rather obvious attempt to cause an argument... :lol:
    Angry Bird wrote:

Don't really care to be honest.

If I think it's safe and sensible to be riding two abreast I'll bloody well ride two abreast, much more enjoyable and if someone get's a bit upset because it adds 30 seconds or a minute to their journey then that's their problem.

If it's a busy road or narrow with lots of corners then no, I won't ride two abreast because it's not safe or it's just a bit too dickish, but otherwise as a driver myself, the way I see it is it's no different from getting stuck behind a horse or a tractor and I don't really care if I get held up for a few seconds by someone out using and enjoying the roads, good for them.
    BigAl wrote:
    BigAl wrote:

:?:

Maybe a cyclolist? Or do I have to call you a biker?

You can call me a "biker" if you want, but don't expect me to answer to it - I've never spent a weekend sitting round in a muddy field with dirty hair, poor hygiene and terrible dress sense, listening to terrible music and getting drunk on cheap lager with other similarly sartorially challenged folk, surrounded by shite bikes painted matt black with Halfords rattle cans... :wink:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    Angry Bird wrote:

Don't really care to be honest.

If I think it's safe and sensible to be riding two abreast I'll bloody well ride two abreast, much more enjoyable and if someone get's a bit upset because it adds 30 seconds or a minute to their journey then that's their problem.

If it's a busy road or narrow with lots of corners then no, I won't ride two abreast because it's not safe or it's just a bit too dickish, but otherwise as a driver myself, the way I see it is it's no different from getting stuck behind a horse or a tractor and I don't really care if I get held up for a few seconds by someone out using and enjoying the roads, good for them.

Yep, I can go with that.

Kowalski,
    As for your claim about motorcyclists - yes some are very aware (because they have to be). But here are plenty of f***wits on motorbikes too
    Angry Bird wrote:
    If I think it's safe and sensible to be riding two abreast

It's neither, especially not on a busy A65 on a Sunday afternoon...
    BigAl wrote:
    As for your claim about motorcyclists - yes some are very aware (because they have to be). But here are plenty of f***wits on motorbikes too

They don't last long - natural selection removes them.
    Angry Bird wrote:
    the way I see it is it's no different from getting stuck behind a horse or a tractor

They shouldn't be on the roads either... :wink:
    Angry Bird wrote:
    If I think it's safe and sensible to be riding two abreast

It's neither, especially not on a busy A65 on a Sunday afternoon...

There's no accounting for Yorkshire
  • The RookieThe Rookie Posts: 27,748
    supersonic wrote:

Can't get points for RLJ'ing on a cycle either.
    I understand you can, it's the offence that counts, speeding can (by law) only be in/on a motorised vehicle, RLJ has no such restriction.

Back on topic, it's a stupid idea, you wouldn't see the number for may riders on tri-bikes, what about rucksacks?

Kansas had some local laws requiring registration plates (mostly repealed) but they were across the top of the chainstays and would be obscured by a pannier.

Don't you just love politicians who open their gob first and think some time later.
  • paul.skibumpaul.skibum Posts: 4,068
    I notice that some of the biggest w**kers on the internet type a load of old sh*t that makes them sound like utter c**ts and then put a winky face after it to try to excuse their stupid words by making you think they are retarded.

I am usually a very considerate driver around motor cyclists as my brother was a rider in my youth and I always thought of him when I saw bikers on the road. Now he doesnt have a bike but I know Kowalski does so I am going to start being less considerate in the hope its him I am holding up, failing to see or just generally getting in the way off. And any time I am on the road cycling I will ride in the middle of the lane to slow him down in his journey.

In BC (and across Canada) it is highway code/law that cars have to pass cyclists with both wheels the wrong side of the white line - i.e. they have to treat cyclists as they would a car they were passing. It is rarely enforced and often overlooked as far as I can tell but it remains the law and could in theory count against you in the event of a collision - if soemone wants me to wear a vest and have a registration plate they better put in place that law because I will be using as much of the road as I want.
    Closet jockey wheel pimp censored .
    Angry Bird wrote:

On country roads its easier to overtake cyclists who are two abreast than two or more riding single file.
    Motorcyclists are much more of a problem on roads, speeding and disturbing the countryside with their noisy exhausts. Brightly coloured leather is possibly more gay than lycra.
  • cooldadcooldad Posts: 32,601
    As is polishing your pipe. Whatever lol.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
    cooldad wrote:
    As is polishing your pipe. Whatever lol.

I heard that Kowalski will polish any bikers pipe if they will go for a ride with him.
This discussion has been closed.