2»

Comments

• Pross
    Pross Posts: 40,442
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The simple fact is that despite apparent anti-cycling behaviour in the UK the roads aren't really any worse for us than they are in 'traditional' cycling countries.
    With this I do not agree at all. Attitudes to cyclists of a significant majority of drivers is abysmal in the UK, and roads significantly worse. Has nothing to do with deserving the grand depart though

I don't disagree regarding attitudes but that fortunately doesn't appear to translate into casualties on the road against similar sized countries where cycle racing is a traditional sport.
    Perhaps - I assume you refer to France and Italy? - although it would be interesting to see the actual stats for casualties/injuries per km/mile cycled.
    If you compare with Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Denmark, world of difference.

Yep, France and Italy but I acknowledge they may do more kms (although I'm not sure cycle use is actually that high in France). Incidentally, Germany had 399 cycling fatalities in 2011(more than 3.5 times greater than the UK) which surprised me even allowing for higher cycling usage and a larger population. Spain seems to be quite safe though.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    The Tour de France puts more cars on the road than cyclists, doesn't it? I mean in terms of the race. I'm unconvinced the Tour on British roads is going to have any impact on "normal" cycling. Kind of like the olympics doesn't really do anything for sport participation.

It's all just a commercial decision anyway.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • ddraver
    ddraver Posts: 26,383
    iainf72 wrote:

Ultimately that's the long and even longer of it

Case point - A taxi driver leaned out of his window and pointed out to me that my front light was dazzling him. We had a calm conversation, i adjusted my light to where it should be (it's quite hard to tell with full street lamps on everywhere), he thanked me and we parted ways with a smile and a thankyou.

That's all that needs to happen on every road and there'd be no problem for any road user of any type
    We're in danger of confusing passion with incompetence
    - @ddraver
  • ocdupalais
    ocdupalais Posts: 4,229
    Pfffft... Does Le Tour deserve the UK, more like.
    Anyway we get to keep it after 3 wins on the trot.

...I had that Desmond Tutu in the back of my cab once.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    iainf72 wrote:
    The Tour de France puts more cars on the road than cyclists, doesn't it? I mean in terms of the race. I'm unconvinced the Tour on British roads is going to have any impact on "normal" cycling. Kind of like the olympics doesn't really do anything for sport participation.

it's a shame ,,,http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/politics/significantly-fewer-people-now-playing-sport-regularly-than-before-last-years-olympic-games-8658107.html

Think of the level of obesity in the UK .

Apparently there was a brief surge, but I think most people heard their pies calling.

its sad :(
  • rick_chasey
    rick_chasey Posts: 72,530
    What a bizarre question.
  • iainf72
    iainf72 Posts: 15,784
    It's normal though - I don't think anyone who looked at what happened with previous olympics was surprised at all.
    Fckin' Quintana … that creep can roll, man.
  • FJS
    FJS Posts: 4,820
    Pross wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    FJS wrote:
    Pross wrote:
    The simple fact is that despite apparent anti-cycling behaviour in the UK the roads aren't really any worse for us than they are in 'traditional' cycling countries.
    With this I do not agree at all. Attitudes to cyclists of a significant majority of drivers is abysmal in the UK, and roads significantly worse. Has nothing to do with deserving the grand depart though

I don't disagree regarding attitudes but that fortunately doesn't appear to translate into casualties on the road against similar sized countries where cycle racing is a traditional sport.
    Perhaps - I assume you refer to France and Italy? - although it would be interesting to see the actual stats for casualties/injuries per km/mile cycled.
    If you compare with Netherlands, Belgium, Germany and Denmark, world of difference.

Yep, France and Italy but I acknowledge they may do more kms (although I'm not sure cycle use is actually that high in France). Incidentally, Germany had 399 cycling fatalities in 2011(more than 3.5 times greater than the UK) which surprised me even allowing for higher cycling usage and a larger population. Spain seems to be quite safe though.
    This might go a bit off-topic and beyond pro-race, but comparing fatalities is pointless without taking into consideration total kms/miles cycled. I believe I've seen data that suggest there are more cycling fatalities annually in the Netherlands than the UK, despite the UK having 3 times the population. Of course this is useless information - the amount of miles cycled per person is enormously higher in the Netherlands. Some comparisons: http://drawingrings.blogspot.co.uk/2011 ... rates.html. http://drawingrings.blogspot.co.uk/2012 ... -than.html
  • Macaloon
    Macaloon Posts: 5,545
    ddraver wrote:
    On the other hand in central London I actually DO think a lower order Critical Mass has been achieved where 99% of drivers are now so used to seeing cyclists that we are, however grudgingly, accepted.

^This.

I've cycled in Central London for 10 years and the biggest positive change I've seen has been amongst professional drivers - taxis, buses, delivery vans... If you can ride assertively (speedily) I've noticed much more respect and willingness to share the road. That's down, in part, to the hugely positive mass-media coverage of our top cyclists elevating our status above annoying obstacle. Hopefully this will trickle-down in time so that you don't need a finely tuned speedy steed and legs of fire to feel safe.

If you're the Tour, aligning your brand with a movement to civilise cycling in a huge growth market is strategic gold.
    ...a rare 100% loyal Pro Race poster. A poster boy for the community.
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    I live in London as well and things were a bit calmer around Wiggo's tour win and the Olympics.

Cannot really explain , but the vibe was def a lot less hostile.
  • DeVlaeminck
    DeVlaeminck Posts: 8,731
    Yes I think we deserve it. Road cycling is big in the UK now and the fans and general public will turn out in numbers that will match anywhere in Europe. That's all the matters really. Yes our roads are awful, yes our motorists could show more understanding and grass roots road racing is always one unhelpful policeman away from being impossible to promote but those are just more reasons why we do deserve it. Us, the fans and participants of the sport are here despite all that, despite being starved of decent TV coverage until recent years and despite having no real historic races of quality of our own. OK maybe "we" don't constitute "the UK" but the people that are going to be excited by it deserve it.
    [Castle Donington Ladies FC - going up in '22]
  • dsoutar
    dsoutar Posts: 1,746
    ^ Well said sir !