New bike material in our LBS

clickrumble
clickrumble Posts: 304
edited January 2014 in Road general
I was in my LBS at the weekend. They have a new expert sales manager who was busy chatting to the man ahead of me about the state of business. I was shocked to hear him say that carbon fibre was so last year and that there was a surging demand for Titanium bikes. Is this true, should I sell all my other bikes (mostly aluminium I’m sorry to say)? Is this something to do with the weather and the fact that Titanium is more water resistant perhaps?

Comments

• madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    I think the change from carbon is largely down to climate change and the excessive wet weather we have been having lately.
    Since carbon dissolves in the rain it just isn't a suitable material anymore.

Or maybe the shop has been lumbered with rather too many expensive Titanium bikes that it needs to shift !!
  • It's 20 years they try to flog titanium as the best material, the one that eventually will take over... it's not happened, it will never happen... it is niche, it will always be niche... it's not suitable for mass manufacturing, end of the story...
    left the forum March 2023
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    more water resistant perhaps?

than what?
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • It's 20 years they try to flog titanium as the best material, the one that eventually will take over... it's not happened, it will never happen... it is niche, it will always be niche... it's not suitable for mass manufacturing, end of the story...

This, I'm old enough to remember.
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    It's 20 years they try to flog titanium as the best material, the one that eventually will take over... it's not happened, it will never happen... it is niche, it will always be niche... it's not suitable for mass manufacturing, end of the story...

This, I'm old enough to remember.

Yep - Merlins and so on.

There's quite a lot of titanium in long-distance cycling (supposedly for the comfy ride) - but you do see a lot of cracked titanium frames as well.

I like the idea - but the execution isn't quite right currently.
  • merkin
    merkin Posts: 452
    Chris Bass wrote:

than what?
    Carbon fibre of course. Sure, it is shower resistant, but it is not water resistant. Plus in this countries winter, once it is waterlogged the frost will destroy it. That is why if you do get caught out in the rain you will need to bring it into the house to dry.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    yes but make sure you follow the manufacturers drying instructions to the letter or your 54 frame may end being a 56
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,524
    steel is the new titanium, which was the new carbon, which was the new aluminium, which was the new steel

marketing makes the world go around
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • DKay
    DKay Posts: 1,652
    edited January 2014
    merkin wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

than what?
    Carbon fibre of course. Sure, it is shower resistant, but it is not water resistant. Plus in this countries winter, once it is waterlogged the frost will destroy it. That is why if you do get caught out in the rain you will need to bring it into the house to dry.

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Carbon fibre is a material comprehensively used in the building of hulls, spars and masts of boats/yachts. Not least of which are the likes of the one's which race in the Americas Cup.

It's not like papier mache you know (well, actually it is, but that's another story).
  • Bamboo is the new cardboard, which is the new wood, which is the new steel, which is the new titanium, which was the new carbon, which was the new aluminium, which was the new steel

marketing makes the world go around
    All the gear, but no idea...
  • marcusjb
    Screw that. Graphene. That's where it's at.

(actually, there may be an element of truth in that in the future!)
  • I was in my LBS at the weekend. They have a new expert sales manager who was busy chatting to the man ahead of me about the state of business. I was shocked to hear him say that carbon fibre was so last year and that there was a surging demand for Titanium bikes.
    I suspect the problem for the salesman is that tying to sell a £2,000-£3,000 carbon or aluminium bike to Joe Public, JP can go online and find bikes that look similar and are more than they'll ever need for £1,000. The salesman can't compete against such bikes that make him little money so, like any good salesman, he convinces JP he needs a £3,000 titanium bike which he didn't need and whose price is unlikely to be undercut online, ensuring a nice slice of the pie for himself.
  • Actually the next big thing is 3D printed framesets and graphine.

Seriously.
  • ednino
    ednino Posts: 684
    Titanium is so 2013

Its all about Scandium now
  • Bmf21uk
    Bmf21uk Posts: 11
    Is it April 1st?!

What a load of rubbish! As a windsurfer we have been using carbon masts, booms, fins, boards for longer than bikes, they get used in all weathers, salt water, whacked, take falls, and heavy crashes with no problems for years

My carbon masts are 6 years old, have no paint on them, and are still absolutely fine. Just use them, it's not balsa wood!

Is this winter bike thing not a ruse to sell more bikes? If you saw the punishment carbon can take, I don't see why a winter bike is needed short of being able to have mudguards.
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    It might be alright for windsurfing, but woe betide the cyclist who gets caught in the rain, unless they want to be sitting in a pile of bike parts surrounded by mush.
  • t4tomo
    t4tomo Posts: 2,643
    DKay wrote:
    merkin wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

than what?

Not sure if you're being sarcastic or not. Carbon fibre is a material comprehensively used in the building of hulls, spars and masts of boats/yachts. Not least of which are the likes of the one's which race in the Americas Cup.

It's not like papier mache you know (well, actually it is, but that's another story).

Come on have a think - are you really not sure? :D
    Bianchi Infinito CV
    Bianchi Via Nirone 7 Ultegra
    Brompton S Type
    Carrera Vengeance Ultimate Ltd
    Gary Fisher Aquila '98
    Front half of a Viking Saratoga Tandem
  • No that's right, I had a carbon bike and took it out into a rain shower. All I had left at the end of the ride was my groupset, handlebars and saddle :(
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Adamantium is the way to go apparently.

I got chatting to this grumpy guy with big sideburns in a bar and he seemed to like the stuff. I wanted to ask him more questions but someone spilt his beer, there was a fight, and the grumpy guy stabbed him with his claws and ran off.

Hope that was subtle enough not to go over anyone's head? :roll:
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    I left my carbon framed colnago bike out in the sun last summer and now it's like dali designed it :(

318499_82.jpg
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    I left my carbon framed colnago bike out in the sun last summer and now it's like dali designed it :(

318499_82.jpg

Did that get rained on afterwards?
  • marcusjb
    NapoleonD wrote:

318499_82.jpg

I used to think you knew what you were talking about, and then I find out you're the kind of idiot who takes his carbon bike outside on sunny days.... :wink:
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    would smearing it in factor 50 suncream stop a lot of that damage?
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • rayjay
    rayjay Posts: 1,384
    pipipi wrote:
    Adamantium is the way to go apparently.

I got chatting to this grumpy guy with big sideburns in a bar and he seemed to like the stuff. I wanted to ask him more questions but someone spilt his beer, there was a fight, and the grumpy guy stabbed him with his claws and ran off.

Hope that was subtle enough not to go over anyone's head? :roll:

I saw something very similar when I was on holiday in San Fran. This nutter with an old motor bike helmet on moved the whole of the golden gate bridge and then there was a mighty ding dong going on. That claw man was involved. I am not going back there again. I think he may have killed someone.
  • pipipi
    pipipi Posts: 332
    Perhaps the person who got killed should have worn a helmet as well then. Ex-Man?