Which disc wheels for a tourer

mikebikemike
mikebikemike Posts: 166
edited January 2014 in Road general
I've bought a touring frame to build as a project into a bike. I'll mostly be using it for commuting and pootling in the country but want also to be able to take cycle camping.
I was unsure about wheels to fit maybe 28-30+mm tyres, be fairly bling and strong enough for touring.
What are my options? Are cyclocross wheels too flimsy?
mountainbike 29"er disc wheels?
build on my recently renovated 32 hole hope hubs but if so which rims?

Comments

• rafletcher
    rafletcher Posts: 1,235
    edited January 2014
    I had some 36/36 disc wheels built (by Wheelcraft) with Mavic TN719 rims on Hope hubs and plain spokes. I'm no lightweight (was 105kg) and they've stayed perfectly true. I'm currently running 28mm Marathons for the winter, though in the summer I tend to run more fancy rubber, 25mm Shwalbe Ultermos.

And if you haven't yet chosen your discs, I recommend the mechanical-hydaulic TRP Hy/Rds. Cable operated, but with a hydraulic reservoir in the caliper. This means, like full hydraulic braks, self adjusting and self centreing pads, no more messing about with adjuster wheels like the BB7's. This alone would make the TRP's worth the money IMO, but in addition they are a smaller caliper than the BB7, meaning less issues should you wish to fit mudguards. I needed an 8mm tubular spacer at the front, so the plastic breakaway connector for the guard would clear the lower disc mounting bolt (may not foul on your forks) which I made from an old brake nut. At the back, just s curve outward in the stays did the job.
  • majormantra
    majormantra Posts: 2,094
    Archetypes on your Hopes? It's a nice tough rim, works great with tyres that width, looks good, not too heavy, not crazy expensive.
  • 964cup
    964cup Posts: 1,362
    Kinesis Crosslights? Pretty decent for a mid-price factory wheel.
  • What kind of touring? Fully loaded with 2 or 4 panniers?

I'd probably look at Shimano XT hubs 36 H with a suitable wide rim from the Mavic range as suggested above. The load will dictate the spoke choice
    left the forum March 2023
  • I can't imagine I'll ever get a super long tour in so probably the heaviest loads will be with 2 panniers with a 2 man tent perched on top. Mostly day rides and the odd credit card type of tour.
  • I can't imagine I'll ever get a super long tour in so probably the heaviest loads will be with 2 panniers with a 2 man tent perched on top. Mostly day rides and the odd credit card type of tour.

I would stick to 36 H, with Dt competition spokes at the rear and DT revolution at the front. Mavic A 319 if you want a robust wide touring rim but not horrendously heavy or Open PRO if you only use 28 mm tyres and no panniers

Can I recommend Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32 mm tyres? They are that good!
    left the forum March 2023
  • andy_s_t
    andy_s_t Posts: 106
    My commuter/tourer (Croix de Fer) has Hope Pro II hubs with Mavic Open Pro rims (32/32) shod with Vittoria Randonneur PRO 32 mm tyres (as recommended above), it's a great combination. The 32s do look much closer to 28s than 32s. I quite often put a pair of cyclocross tyres on too for some off road fun, the wheels handle trails etc very well.

I'll second the HY/RD recommendation above as well, really do like the stopping power!
  • Mavic A317s on my 6 yr old 29er. Have taken a proper pounding on and off road for over 5700 miles, and have remained in perfect health (one small truing required in that time). I'm a bit of a lightweight, though.