Garmin issues

Anonymous
Anonymous Posts: 79,667
edited January 2014 in Commuting chat
Garmin edge 500 doesn't read USB any more and was wondering if anyone knows any tips to get it to work? It connects to PC and I see the squiggle at the bottom of the screen and it charges fine, just PC (well, Mac) doesn't see it.

I've done a full reset (that did the trick last time) but doesn't seem to work any more. I think I am going to send it back for a new unit, but would ideally like to get my rides off it beforehand.

Any help much appreciated.
Thanks

Comments

• JackPozzi
    JackPozzi Posts: 1,191
    Have you tried a different cable, sounds daft but I have known that to solve it?
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Generally the cable or the mini USB connector thingy ...not happened to me but reports that the pins get bent or corroded or full of crud.
  • Within the last 2/3 days I've had to reinstall the Garmin Communicator plugin to get my 500 to work on two different PC's. I'm guessing it may have been a Windows or Chrome update messing with the settings.

http://www.garmin.com/garmin/cms/site/p ... mmunicator

It seems strange that I've to do it for both PC's.
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    edited January 2014
    The cable is the same as PS3 controllers, some old Nokias, many digital cameras and portable media devices pinch one from one of those and give it a try.

Alternatively (if you're out of warranty) spray some isopropyl (switch/disc brake cleaner) on the contacts and rub with a wire brush.
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • Anonymous
    Tried that sadly nothing worked but now back with Garmin
  • have you installed the latest garmin USB drivers? my 800 stopped talking to my work PC, the update sorted it.
  • Samsung Kies stopped my Garmin communicating. It could see it and everything looked OK except that it would never load. Uninstall of Kies sorted it.
  • Anonymous
    Tried 3 different computers and 3 different cables but sadly no luck. Could have tried the isopropyl spray but it's now with Garmin so should receive a new one this week.

Thanks all