Forum home Road cycling forum Road beginners

Road bike + glasses

davidmt83davidmt83 Posts: 218
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
What are people's experiences with road bikes and glasses - looking at maybe a Caad 8 / Giant Defy so maybe a little more upright but still - will I be forever looking over the top of my glasses while on the drops? If most time is spent on the hoods is this really an issue?
Cannondale Synapse 105 Disc

• oxomanoxoman Posts: 8,839
    I don't have a problem when on the drops on my road bike as most people tend to ride mainly on the tops unless racing or cowering from the rain and wind. Only occasions i have had to look over the top of my glasses is when i stop in cold weather and they steam up or when in really fast rain.
    Too many bikes according to Mrs O.
  • smidsysmidsy Posts: 5,273
    If this was an issue would every pro on the planet wear sunglasses?
    Yellow is the new Black.
  • iPeteiPete Posts: 6,076
    Yes if you get on the drops, regular prescription glasses may well get in the field of view. Oakley do prescription cycling glasses if you find it an issue. To be honest most people sit up on the hoods unless tackling the wind or on a fast ride.
  • lostboysaintlostboysaint Posts: 4,252
    davidmt83 wrote:
    What are people's experiences with road bikes and glasses - looking at maybe a Caad 8 / Giant Defy so maybe a little more upright but still - will I be forever looking over the top of my glasses while on the drops? If most time is spent on the hoods is this really an issue?

No, no it isn't.
    Trail fun - Transition Bandit
    Road - Wilier Izoard Centaur/Cube Agree C62 Disc
    Allround - Cotic Solaris
  • davidmt83davidmt83 Posts: 218
    Thanks all - fears waylaid!
  • MoonbikerMoonbiker Posts: 1,706
    Glasses do make the shoulder lifesaver check harder i reckon.
  • cescocesco Posts: 252
    Nope, that's not an issue for me. It must be said that I have fairly big lenses though (wayfarer type). A thing that does annoy me about wearing glasses on the bike, besides rain, is perspiration. It makes my bridge slip on my nose and it's not great for the lacquer either.

I plan on buying daily contact lenses for the occasional ride, and wear them with cycling glasses on sunny days.
  • lakesludditelakesluddite Posts: 1,328
    I went to contacts years ago, and have never regretted it, but I do realise that some glasses wearers either connot use them, or just don't get on with them.

You may be better to get a specific prescription pair for cycling (rather than just cycling in your normal specs), one's with a transition lens would be good as well I suppose. Probably best to discuss with your optician what they can offer you.
  • prhymeateprhymeate Posts: 792
    Moonbiker wrote:

Yea, definitely. If I'm out on a proper ride I'll wear contacts but if it's just cycling round to a friends house or whatever and I'm wearing glasses, it's definitely a quick glance and a bit of hope that nothing emerges from the big blur behind me. Especially in the rain. Hopefully that wont be for much longer though as I'm getting lasered on Monday.
  • I find that no issue at all on the hoods but a pain when on the drops as you look over top of where glasses are and then obviously can't see!

I've recently changed to contact lens which I just wear for riding. Combine with some sunglasses and all sorted. Weird but the cycle sunglasses don't get in the way at all.
    Triban 3
  • johnmioshjohnmiosh Posts: 210
    Day to day I normally use contacts (gas permeables), but had the occasional problem with them while cycling. One issue is sweat, getting sweat in your eyes can be quite painful and blinking it away does not get rid of the salt for a while. The other issue is very small specs of dust; they can cause distracting pain. Both of these issues rarely happen when I am not cycling.

To prevent dust, I bought a pair of Oakley half jacket XLJs a couple of years ago. Good wrap around coverage, with clear and dark lenses, not the best looking Oakleys, but I found a pair in a Xmas sale for £50. Unfortunately they didn't completely protect against vehicles kicking up a fine dust and still found myself having to stop occasionally to clear my eyes and didn't want to risk having to stop quickly in a group ride.

Then I bought a pair of transition prescription lenses for them. Perfect. I bought them from balance optics at £150 and are still going strong two years later. This company were by far the cheapest, but is no longer in business.

Personally, I think prescription sunnies with either transition lenses or two pairs for different light conditions is the safest way to go. There have been a few threads on various manufacturers in the past, try searching prescription on here.
  • rafletcherrafletcher Posts: 1,235
    prhymeate wrote:
    Moonbiker wrote:

Yea, definitely. If I'm out on a proper ride I'll wear contacts but if it's just cycling round to a friends house or whatever and I'm wearing glasses, it's definitely a quick glance and a bit of hope that nothing emerges from the big blur behind me. Especially in the rain. Hopefully that wont be for much longer though as I'm getting lasered on Monday.

Why?? I've worm Oakleys for years (I'm a glasses wearer off the bike, contacts on, and like to keep grit/dust etc off the contacts) and never had an issue. But my prescription glasses would be fine too for "over the shoulder" check. They are frameless however, but get as much/little rain on them as "poper" cycling glasses.

Pro's do occasionally in really heavy rain take their glasses off though...
  • prhymeateprhymeate Posts: 792
    rafletcher wrote:
    Why?? I've worm Oakleys for years (I'm a glasses wearer off the bike, contacts on, and like to keep grit/dust etc off the contacts) and never had an issue. But my prescription glasses would be fine too for "over the shoulder" check. They are frameless however, but get as much/little rain on them as "poper" cycling glasses.

Pro's do occasionally in really heavy rain take their glasses off though...

Actually when I think about it, the rain doesn't make a difference when looking over my shoulder. I don't know about you but if I turn my head to look directly behind me, I'm not looking through my lenses at all, which is why it's a blur.
  • trooperktrooperk Posts: 189
    Maybe the OP should consider getting a pair of these.

dennistaylo_1408432a.jpg
    Specialized-The censored of bikes.
  • davidmt83davidmt83 Posts: 218
    trooperk wrote:
    Maybe the OP should consider getting a pair of these.
    I already have. They're upside down right now!
  • oldbazzaoldbazza Posts: 646
    iPete wrote:
    Yes if you get on the drops, regular prescription glasses may well get in the field of view. Oakley do prescription cycling glasses if you find it an issue. To be honest most people sit up on the hoods unless tackling the wind or on a fast ride.

Unfortunately some prescriptions are not available for Oakleys(and similar)as they are restricted due to the curves in the lenses(and thickness);I enquired a while ago and was told my prescription was unavailble.
    Went for a check-over for contacts today and have some dailies to try out;trying to put them in in the opticians was fun :lol: :roll: ,should be a laugh trying to do it at home :shock: .
    Ridley Helium SL (Dura-Ace/Wheelsmith Aero-dimpled 45 wheels)

Light Blue Robinson(105 +lots of Hope)

Planet X XLS 1X10(105/XTR/Miche/TRP Spyre SLC brakes

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • I hate cycling in specs, but then again I hate wearing them in general; contacts for me.
  • farrinafarrina Posts: 360
    iPete wrote:
    Went for a check-over for contacts today and have some dailies to try out;trying to put them in in the opticians was fun :lol: :roll: ,should be a laugh trying to do it at home :shock: .
    In my experience the best approach is to look in a mirror when inserting lenses. If you focus directly on the advancing lens the eye automatically closes (you can probably get away with the direct approach when you are a seasoned wearer).

Give it a week or so and you will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Complete no brainier for sports - contacts all the way.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • thegibdogthegibdog Posts: 2,106
    I got a pair of prescription cycling glasses with reactions lenses from optilabs. Not cheap but I must have had them for about 7 years now and they're still going strong.
  • +1 for optilabs. Good advice and friendly service and didn't break the bank.
  • Glasses and cycling - no no

Contact lenses and cycling - no no

Contact lenses, cycling and (clear lense) shades - brilliant

Daily disposables work for me from http://www.daysoftcontactlenses.com/
    Felt z95 - loving my first road bike
  • Nick_MNick_M Posts: 58
    Glasses and cycling - no no

This!
  • rolf_frolf_f Posts: 16,014
    Mostly I wear my specs. I cycle a lot in the drops and my lenses aren't that tall but I have no problem with them.

In summer, when it is sunny, I wear contacts and sunglasses. I don't really like the contacts though and when I do wear them, struggle to see the point of sticking effectively another pair of specs on my face! Seems a bit odd to me to wear contacts with clear sunglasses lenses. Therefore when not sunny I just wear the glasses (can never understand why people want to ride with tinted lenses unless it is actually sunny) and they are fine.
    Faster than a tent.......
    farrina wrote:
    iPete wrote:
    In my experience the best approach is to look in a mirror when inserting lenses. If you focus directly on the advancing lens the eye automatically closes (you can probably get away with the direct approach when you are a seasoned wearer).

Give it a week or so and you will be wondering what all the fuss was about.

Complete no brainier for sports - contacts all the way.

Regards

Alan

Wore them for a bit yesterday and went out for spin on the bike;it's ok on the bike(was wearing clear lensed Oakleys)but it's a bit weird otherwise because I usually wear varifocals and it was not good trying to read at close range.Also the optitian said I have dry eyes so I've got to try a warm flannel treatment to clear out my tear ducts which apparently makes wearing contacts more problematical;will see how I get on over the next two weeks although I can't really wear them for work.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra
  • Glasses and cycling - no no

I wear contact lenses nearly all the time and cycle in them without eyewear (I don't own any cycling glasses). No particular issues to speak of.
  • ic.ic. Posts: 768
    Contact lenses all the way. And then your favourite riding sunglasses. With whatever lenses you like. No need for just clear.

I use daily disposable. Chuck them after a ride. Easy
    2020 Reilly Spectre - raw titanium
    2020 Merida Reacto Disc Ltd - black on black
    2017 Cervelo R3 DI2 - black & white - for sale
    2015 CAAD8 105 - very green

The departed:

Boardman CX Team - sold
    Cannondale Synapse - broken
    Cube Streamer - stolen
    Boardman Road Comp - stolen
  • buzzwoldbuzzwold Posts: 197
    Had the same problem for over a year but last September picked up some frames at the Bike Show at the NEC to suit RX inserts. Cost £35 for the frames and £30 for the prescription. Interchangeable lenses.

Couldn't ride without glasses. We've all had experience of getting something in our eye, imagine that hits your eye at 15mph plus. Even with contacts you're should cover up.
    Someone's just passed me again
    buzzwold wrote:
    Had the same problem for over a year but last September picked up some frames at the Bike Show at the NEC to suit RX inserts. Cost £35 for the frames and £30 for the prescription. Interchangeable lenses.

Couldn't ride without glasses. We've all had experience of getting something in our eye, imagine that hits your eye at 15mph plus. Even with contacts you're should cover up.

Who were they from if you don't mind me asking?

Not going well with the contacts,as I usually wear varifocals have a bit of a problem reading the Garmin :roll: ;far distance is fine but it's a bit of a deal-breaker not seeing close-up very well.

Graham Weigh 105/Ultegra