Exposure Lights - poor after sales?

andy_from_embsay
andy_from_embsay Posts: 343
edited January 2014 in Road general
Exposure have a reputation for being in the same league as Hope for quality and after sales (and price!), but I've just spent a large amount of cash on a Six pack front light, which seems to have some issues - and then received pretty poor service when I returned it - wondered if this his a one-off?

I've had the light about a month, and last week I noticed that it didn't seem to be charging properly - there's five red lights on the back that gradually go from flashing to solid as it charges up. It was getting to three solid lights, then the charger would turn green (from red) and then even after several hours, wouldn't charge any more.

I rang Exposure and sent a couple of emails, and they asked me to return it so they could look at it.

This I did (at my expense) and they rang and said they'd updated the software and charged it up - and all is fine. I've been for one ride and it's exactly as it was - surely they can't have tested it properly if the exact same problem is there? Given the light's just over a month old, and Exposure don't seem terribly willing to fix it, I think I might just ask for a replacement.

Has anyone else experienced Exposure's after-sales being a bit duff, or have I just been unlucky?

Comments

• sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    did you buy it from exposure?

if not, just go to the retailer and ask for replacement/refund as it isn't working
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • No, bought it from Evans - but thought it'd be easier/quicker to get Exposure to sort it. If it comes to a refund it'll go back to the shop (although Evans might just send it back to Exposure...).
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    if it's only a month old, just ask for a swap, especially as exposure already failed to fix it

tbh, in the same situation i'd *never* go to exposure, always go to the retailer first, they should swap it and send exposure the faulty one

evans are usually pretty good, explain to them and request a replacement
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • You're probably right - but I've just sent something back to another retailer who insisted on sending it back to the manufacturer before they'd do anything, so I thought I'd "cut out the middleman".
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    I bought a Joystick and redeye from Evans - with bar mount. My idea was to get a helmet mount for it but when the light set arrived, instead of having a short cable redeye (ie the one that clips to the main torch) it had a long cable for on bike mounting. All Evans would do was offer to take it back or sell me what I wanted (and what I'd ordered) at 35% more money.

I rang up Exposure and after a quick check were happy to exchange the long cable for the short - which they didn't have to do. The replacement arrived almost as soon as I put the phone down!

So they are certainly capable of providing good service some of the time!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • That's good to hear - must say I've never heard anything bad about them before, but this just seemed like they couldn't be arsed to test it properly.
  • diy
    diy Posts: 6,473
    Should have taken it back to Evans and got a refund. Taking it back to Exposure directly actually gives the retailer a get out on your consumer rights. I doubt they will exploit this, but nevertheless its the easiest way to damage your statutory rights.

Remember your contract is with the retailer not the manufacturer. On another note, I really can't understand why anyone would pay £300 for a light with those credentials.

The LED is now 3 years old.
    2000 Lumen at 6A vs current CREE technology which can deliver the same at 4-4.5A

You can get better, brighter, lighter lights for under £100

The problem that light is going to have is balancing the charge between the cells - it sounds very much like yours has a dead cell or a fault in the balance circuit.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    TBH - this really is a clear cut return to retailer for an exchange scenario. My only complaint is that the light modes are far too complicated!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Well Exposure are back on form - I had a bit of a fiddle last night and it looks like the problem is a loose connection where the charger plugs in - I could get the red light to come back on by slightly pressing the charger cable in. So I took a 30 second video on my phone, emailed it to them and this morning they've rung and said they're sending me a whole new set out today - and just said "send us the other one back".

To be honest diy, I've read all the threads about cheap LED lights, and whilst I accept some people may do ok with them, there's also lots of stories about short lifespans, dodgy chargers and little or no after sales service. This (slightly flawed, but ultimately good) experience with Exposure is why I buy their (and Hope's) lights - and btw I didn't pay anywhere near £300 for it!

So - hats off to Exposure, the stories of great service are true after all!
  • diy
    If you got a mk4 for a lot less than £300, then you have a pretty good deal irrelevant of what I say about their dated technology. Its a light better suited to MTBing though due to the throw of the beam and level of output. I'd be looking for something more focused and lower output for road use.

The XPGs do produce a nice clean, white light though.
  • That's good to hear - must say I've never heard anything bad about them before, but this just seemed like they couldn't be arsed to test it properly.

I had a problem with my Revo - its capacitor wasn't working so it was just flashing in time with the dynohub rpm.

Sent it back, they said they'd fixed it and sent back - same problem persisted.

Sent it back again, and they sent a replacement.

I think their service ethos is very good - but sometimes (as in all walks of life) 'pooh happens', and in this case they either didn't test it sufficiently or (for some strange reason) the problem didn't manifest itself, or it slipped through the QC phase. So I'm loath to say "couldn't be arsed"...

Summary - very happy with their after sales. :D
  • mattsaw
    mattsaw Posts: 907
    I returned an Exposure rear light to Wiggle last week. I got a email back saying that they had to return it to Exposure for a warranty claim which may take 10 days

V.annoying that it'll leave me without my 'best' rear light for the best part of a month through what looks like a manufacturers defect

tDQ9rty.png
    Bianchi C2C - Ritte Bosberg - Cervelo R3
    Strava
  • jzed
    jzed Posts: 2,926
    My Exposure Trace-R has developed a fault. Won't stop flashing green. Have to press buttons randomly to get the light come on.

I emailed Exposure, who told me to email the retailer.
  • diy
    What the retailer decides to do with a faulty product is irrelevant. Your rights are very clear. When they tell you they are sending the product away to be fixed. Tell them that its inconvenient and you require a replacement or a refund. They must then state that a replacement is disproportionally costly. If they don't or they take an unreasonable amount of time, simply reject the goods and ask for a refund.

Retailers always try to fob the consumer off that they are just the middle man acting on the consumers behalf with the manufacturer/distributor. Fact is its irrelevant - they are the contracting party.
  • mattsaw
    JZed wrote:
    My Exposure Trace-R has developed a fault. Won't stop flashing green. Have to press buttons randomly to get the light come on.

I emailed Exposure, who told me to email the retailer.

Mine just turns off randomly. I think there must be a loose connection as shaking the light seems to have the same effect.
    What the retailer decides to do with a faulty product is irrelevant. Your rights are very clear. When they tell you they are sending the product away to be fixed. Tell them that its inconvenient and you require a replacement or a refund. They must then state that a replacement is disproportionally costly. If they don't or they take an unreasonable amount of time, simply reject the goods and ask for a refund.

I was hoping that may be the case. So I can request for Wiggle just to send a replacement?
    Strava
  • mattsaw
    diy wrote:
    How long have you had it?

Since September
    Strava
  • diy: Part of my reason for sending it to Exposure was the fact I got it very cheap from Evans (discount and cashback) and they had no more in stock - I was concerned they'd just say "here's your refund" and I'd have to pay full wack for a replacement - at least this way I've got a replacement for the original price.

I'm cunning, me...
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    diy: Part of my reason for sending it to Exposure was the fact I got it very cheap from Evans (discount and cashback) and they had no more in stock - I was concerned they'd just say "here's your refund" and I'd have to pay full wack for a replacement - at least this way I've got a replacement for the original price.

I'm cunning, me...
    So, how about praising Exposure's customer care then?
  • I think Exposures service team must all still be hung over from Christmas!!

I've just had a faulty Maxx D returned to me after being sent in to be checked, with a service card stating 'several tests done, no fault found' yet is exactly the same as when I sent is to them?

It's not like the fault is hard to spot either, it happens as soon as the light is switched on. :roll:
    2007 Trek 6500
    2010 Specialized Allez Elite
  • diy
    Mattsaw wrote:
    diy wrote:
    How long have you had it?

Since September

If you haven't had anything after 10 days, ask for a replacement to be sent or refund. 4 months is a bit long to try rejection due to fault. 3-4 weeks is closer to the mark ( though there is no time limit). Once they start taking too long to fix, you have the inconvenience angle entitling you to replacement or refund.
  • izza
    izza Posts: 1,561
    I have always been treated really well by Exposure guys. Replacement Flare sent out when required, and all email queries answered promptly.
  • mattsaw
    Any ideas where I stand on this legally?

Wiggle are basically passing the back and saying that they're waiting to hear back from Exposure.

The light was returned on 08/01, and I'm just being told that they're waiting to hear back from Exposure.
    Is there no legal cutoff time that they're obliged to refund or replace?
    Strava