Yorkshire Dales Cycleway this Summer

jfrankland1991
jfrankland1991 Posts: 100
edited January 2014 in Road general
I am thinking of doing the 130 miles Yorkshire Dales Cycleway this summer over two days. To anyone that has done it before or experience of that sort of thing would anyone think that this is too much especially with the terrain?

The bike I am planning to do it on is a Giant Defy 1 so no great scope for carrying a great deal but I was thinking of getting a bag to fit onto my seat post, something like this http://www.wiggle.co.uk/altura-arran-ex ... 5360243208 to carry the basic essentials. I have read that carbon seat posts are not designed for this sort of thing, would people recommend replacing it?

Hopefully there is some better weather this summer when I come round to doing it as I'm really looking forward to it already! Any advice or anyone's experience cycling in this area or doing the cycleway would be very much welcomed.

Cheers

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Oooh, I don't like the look of that! Looks a very, very small clamp area for a potentially heavily laden pack.

More expensive at about £80 for the bag and mount is the Carradice Audax Super C plus SQR mount. I commute every day with this setup on a carbon seatpost and have every confidence in it! You can get away without using the SQR mount but it is a lot better with (it will fit onto saddle loops but the ones Carradice sell end up awkwardly positioned and the bag wobbles about under your thighs - the SQR is very good and supports the bag over a much greater depth of seatpost. And the bag is made in Lancashire!)

Photo0349_zps5fd3bda7.jpg
    Photo0345_zpsef8ab6b6.jpg
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Keith1983
    Keith1983 Posts: 575
    I don't know if you're a lycra clad weight weenie type but why not look at a camelbak bag or something similar. I've never ridden far enough on the road to need to use mine on the road but it would do a great job. You will get looked at by other "hardcore" roadies like you've got two heads though.
  • rolf_f
    Keith1983 wrote:
    I don't know if you're a lycra clad weight weenie type but why not look at a camelbak bag or something similar. I've never ridden far enough on the road to need to use mine on the road but it would do a great job. You will get looked at by other "hardcore" roadies like you've got two heads though.

Backpacks I find are fine for an hour or two and then become increasingly horrible. It's nothing like wearing a backpack whilst walking.
  • bianchimoon
    bianchimoon Posts: 3,942
    I've done c2c a few times with clamp onto seatpost style pannier and day backpack, much preferred the rucksack especially going over wrynose/hardknott. I do like Rolf's set up tho' looks a good solution
    All lies and jest..still a man hears what he wants to hear and disregards the rest....
  • madtam
    madtam Posts: 141
    I am not a huge fan of backpacks, but dislike additional weight on the bike even less.
    I used a backpack for a while on my commute and sometimes on trips out, but then switched to a saddlebag and then onto panniers (using a CX bike with attachment points for a pannier rack). I stuck with the panniers I think partly because general opinion was this was better. However, I eventually ditched them for a backpack and have been happier with this ever since.
    Each to their own, but I would use a backpack.
  • rolf_f
    The obvious answer is to try riding the bike for a full day with a loaded backpack and see what you think of it. You might be fine or you might hate it. At least that way you can prove it as an option or not without incurring cost. If you do go for a rucksack, the sort with the airflow backs are much more tolerable than the flat backed ones.

Whatever you use, obviously ideally you keep the luggage weight as low as you can.
  • Personally I am not a great fan either of riding with a backpack but to be honest I have never done it over a long period with a decent backpack so I couldn't know for sure. I do like the look of the Carradice Super C and with the SQR mount at £80 it is more than I was expecting to pay but they say you do pay for quality and should last the test of time. My dad has a Carradice saddle bag which he has had for 30 years and still works well so must be good quality! Is the sqr mount the quick release SQR that Carradice sell?