Planet X - customer service?

kangarouge
kangarouge Posts: 210
edited January 2014 in Road buying advice
Sent an email to them on Friday asking which gear hanger I needed for my Planet X SL Carbon frame after damaging mine in a fall. I received two emails today( Wednesday); one asking me to resubmit my query and the other asking me to take part in a customer service survey.

Looks like the poor customer service is still in existence. I thought others may like to know.

Comments

• Robd263
    Robd263 Posts: 52
    Had exactly the same today regarding the new bike I was planning to buy. Put me off buying a whole bike from the web now. Going to buy from a store where I can speak to someone.
  • I was also about to arrange a trip up north to visit one of their shops and buy a bike or frame. It's now on hold!
  • jamsop
    jamsop Posts: 51
    edited January 2014
    I had the same thing happening to me. Sent them an email a week ago and only now got a reply.

I found out my order was missing a part that was mentioned in their description.
    Instead of sending me the part they instead just offered a refund. Bit pants really...
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Just to provide some balance, I bought some kit from PX this week. Called their service line to check on a sizing query first, and spoke to friendly, knowledgable staff who gave me confident answers. I then ordered online and the stuff arrived today - about 24hrs after I'd ordered it. In fact, I've bought loads from PX and it's always been excellent.
  • Apologies, I know I shouldn't jump on the bandwagon. I know lots of people are very happy with their Planet X bikes. I enjoy my Pompino and think the service I received back in 2005 was fine.
    The bikes are undoubtedly good value. But, I have spent the past month pawing over bikes, looking for a winter bike, bouncing between Charge, Orange, Genesis and Giant. My final decision was the Kaffenback 2, I knew my size cos its similar to Pomp, so I completed the online order form. I became perplexed because the only option for handlebar tape was white, I wanted black bars like the one in the picture. I rang, certain there was some mistake, I nearly fell off my stool, the guy on the phone stated that they had sold out of all the black taped bars, but I could buy a pack of tape and retape the bars myself if I wished. I know their prices are good and this must be an example of the prices being shaved to the bone.
    I probably cut off my nose to spite my face. But, I ordered a Canyon Inflite on 3rd of Jan and it arrived this afternoon. Busy day at work, so haven't opened the box yet. Hope the bars are black!
  • sniper68
    sniper68 Posts: 2,910
    Phoning them is the best option.
    I generally call in as I live 10 mins drive from either shop and have always found them to be very knowledgeable and helpful 8)
  • I ordered a Canyon Inflite on 3rd of Jan and it arrived this afternoon.

Looking forward to seeing the pics of that!
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    These really are pointless and unfair threads.

Agreed.
    It's almost like some people want to be dissatisfied.
    So they didn't email back , just call them.
    And not buying a bike because they didn't reply to an email ? Did you really want it ?
    FWIW I'm a px fan, no complaints from bikes, frames, wheels to a copy invoice sent while I was still on the phone to them.
    Good lads in the shop too putting up with my 2 kids running around.
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Robd263
    Galatzo wrote:

Agreed.
    It's almost like some people want to be dissatisfied.
    So they didn't email back , just call them.
    And not buying a bike because they didn't reply to an email ? Did you really want it ?
    FWIW I'm a px fan, no complaints from bikes, frames, wheels to a copy invoice sent while I was still on the phone to them.
    Good lads in the shop too putting up with my 2 kids running around.

If they don't reply to emails then why have a website? I'm busy at work and don't have the time to phone and just prefer email. Had they said we don't have email, I would have made the time to phone. I don't think I should have to wait to see if they reply and if they can't be bothered chase then up. I'm the person who wants to hand over money. Why should I be chasing?

Customer service experience is the most important thing for me I will not buy from somewhere that makes no effort. Some people can put up with poor / non existent customer service because the most important things is the low prices and companies like this rely on people like this so that their bare bones service allows them to keep overh ads down.

I'm not someone who wants to beg a store to allow me to spend thousands of pounds with them.

And why are these pointless posts? If someone wants to share an experience so others can consider this when deciding whether to purchase from the same store then it has a lot of point. Just because you disagree does not make it pointless. I bet you wouldn't think it pointless if the post were singing the stores praise.
  • Robd263

What's unfair about them if they are simply reporting facts?
  • Philly8mt
    Philly8mt Posts: 552

Agreed ...

The internet is a wonderful yet strangely terrible place ... People are very quick to jump on here and complain about seemingly trivial things ...

Do we all reply to every single email straight away?
    Do we call everyone back straight away?

Probably not.

Do I receive a better service off Planet X and various other online cycling retailers than I get from say ... BT, British Gas, car dealers? Yep!

Is it worth walking away from a great deal on a bike or frame for? No!

How do you cope in the real world guys?
    When you have to queue at a Costa Coffee?
    With illness?
    Traffic Jams? A Strongly worded letter to the Highways agency?
    If ya house was flooded? God forbid you get into an argument with the insurance company!

And, at the end of the day, we all know .... It's Wiggles fault:)
    Still thinking of something clever to say!
  • mroli
    mroli Posts: 3,622
    I'd just like to say - ordered a fork from them. Delivered 2 days later. Wrong fork - Canti rather than disc. Emailed to customer service Thurs. Response today saying "sorry, please return for free and we'll send you the correct one". Another email from survey people and another email saying revised order was being processed. Obv I would have rather got the correct fork first time round - but I'm pretty happy with that.
  • supermurph09
    supermurph09 Posts: 2,471
    Robd263 wrote:

What's unfair about them if they are simply reporting facts?

because for the two people that have a complaint there's probably two thousand people that don't. But because of the minority it casts aspersions that PX have poor customer service when in fact they don't, its just that on these occasions maybe they havent quite hit the standards they or you would have expected. That's bad luck, it happens.
  • These really are pointless and unfair threads.

Agree...

Planet X has two shops and a non-premium rate number to call as well as an email method for contacting them. Some people are just a bunch of p*ssies and hide behind an email address or a forum when they want to contact a real person or complain. If it's that urgent or a really simple just ring, these guys are probably happy to talk to someone rather than bash out an email.

FWIW, Planet X have provided me with some excellent parts at excellent prices, which somehow arrive in a timescale a lot of other companies would be envious of.
  • e999sam
    e999sam Posts: 426
    I bought a new TT bike from them before Christmas and was more than pleased with their customer service. I've not had any concerns with the bike so I've not tested their after sales service.
    I can't see a problem with people sharing their negative experiences on a forum but others reading should realise that people are more likely to post negative experiences than positive ones.
    I'm certain that all cycle retailers have their problems but to change your mind on ordering something based on a handful of negative comments would be an over reaction.
  • R0B75
    R0B75 Posts: 376
    I'll chime in with my experiences.

I've had 1 full bike built from Planet X, bought 2 frames bought to build myself and a multitude of other parts/clothing. I've spent in excess of several thousand pounds with Planet X. I keep going back because I've generally had outstanding service from them.

I've had the odd minor issue with orders which are always quickly resolved and always had quick delivery. Any warranty issue with parts has always been dealt with quickly and professionally. Every time I've visited the store they make time for you and are always friendly.

Yes, once, I've had an email not responded to quickly. I got a bit fed up but it didn't stop me picking up the phone. Where I work, emails are considered a non-urgent form of communication and are given a lower priority than phone calls, so when you call Planet X you pretty much get through to a human being within a couple of minutes, if not immediately, and they're always helpful. I'd much rather have someone to speak to than have a conversation via email and if them responding to emails slowly stops you from ordering, when they are very easy to speak to on the phone, then its your loss.

Planet X aren't perfect, but they do a hell of a lot of things right and when they do get things wrong, or when something breaks (I've experienced this), they do everything they can to put it right, which cannot be said about many other companies.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    R0B75 wrote:
    I'll chime in with my experiences.

I've had 1 full bike built from Planet X, bought 2 frames bought to build myself and a multitude of other parts/clothing. I've spent in excess of several thousand pounds with Planet X. I keep going back because I've generally had outstanding service from them.

I've had the odd minor issue with orders which are always quickly resolved and always had quick delivery. Any warranty issue with parts has always been dealt with quickly and professionally. Every time I've visited the store they make time for you and are always friendly.

Yes, once, I've had an email not responded to quickly. I got a bit fed up but it didn't stop me picking up the phone. Where I work, emails are considered a non-urgent form of communication and are given a lower priority than phone calls, so when you call Planet X you pretty much get through to a human being within a couple of minutes, if not immediately, and they're always helpful. I'd much rather have someone to speak to than have a conversation via email and if them responding to emails slowly stops you from ordering, when they are very easy to speak to on the phone, then its your loss.

Planet X aren't perfect, but they do a hell of a lot of things right and when they do get things wrong, or when something breaks (I've experienced this), they do everything they can to put it right, which cannot be said about many other companies.
    ^^ Well said that man. :)
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Jeez - I don't reply to all of my emails in the working day. Does anyone ?

Anyway they replied to my emails this week about my new bike. :-)
  • I found the opposite. Absolutely outstanding customer service.

- Emailed them several times regarding bike spec and always got speedy, helpful replies.

- Was able to swap out parts on their bike builder with parts not offered (but in stock on their website).

- Ordered a custom bike. They called to confirm my different spec the next day.

- They telephoned again the day before my bike was due to be delivered.

- Bike was delivered in 5 days! :D Placed the order on a Monday, massive box on my doorstep Friday!

Oh and I certainly can't complain about the price!
  • Just a couple of points to note prior to me posting this thread. On the recent similar thread on this subject you may notice that my comments were more in defence of the company rather than negative.

However, on this occasion prior to sending my email asking for some after market support, I did telephone them on at least six occasions. On each try there was a long queue and as these calls were made during the daytime when I am at work I can't wait forever. Thus I sent them an email. I expected a wait in excess of the 24 hours their automated response suggested and was duly proved right. What really annoyed me though is when I did receive a response it was to ask me to go through the process again. And complete a customer service survey! I find this taking the p--s.

One of my bikes is a Planet X and many of the components on it came from Planet X. Its been great value and I have had so much fun on it. But I will not be buying another from them. I might be 'old school' but as far as I am concerned cheap prices doesn't always score higher than service. If it does for you so be it.

In posting the thread I thought it might be of use to others to know that the company is still experiencing significant problems. After all, this thread is for Road Buying Advice.

I do genuinely wish the company well and hope they resolve their problems soon but I will not be joining them on their journey of expansion. There are other companies and suppliers.
  • I'm sure people have already mentioned this but For people based in the south and not wanting to travel along way to the Planet X shop or apprehensive about ordering online, I was in that boat so purchased my Planet X bike via Triathlon Zone in St Albans. The service was fantasic, the guy was friendly, helpful and knowledgable about the product and they even keep a small selection of Planet X models in stock to view.

I was fitted for my bike there, was advised what stem / size etc I needed and ordered straight from them taking out all of the hassle of ordering online. They don't charge any extra than the Planet X website prices and they just called me when my bike had been delivered, made up and ready for collection.

It's not the biggest of shops so is nothing like the Planet X showroom but I'd already visited there and didn't want to repeat the journey. The only thing I would mention is that you can only purchase bikes from them, for frames and clothing you would need to deal direct with a Planet X.
  • R0B75
    Kangarouge wrote:
    Just a couple of points to note prior to me posting this thread. On the recent similar thread on this subject you may notice that my comments were more in defence of the company rather than negative.

However, on this occasion prior to sending my email asking for some after market support, I did telephone them on at least six occasions. On each try there was a long queue and as these calls were made during the daytime when I am at work I can't wait forever. Thus I sent them an email. I expected a wait in excess of the 24 hours their automated response suggested and was duly proved right. What really annoyed me though is when I did receive a response it was to ask me to go through the process again. And complete a customer service survey! I find this taking the p--s.

One of my bikes is a Planet X and many of the components on it came from Planet X. Its been great value and I have had so much fun on it. But I will not be buying another from them. I might be 'old school' but as far as I am concerned cheap prices doesn't always score higher than service. If it does for you so be it.

In posting the thread I thought it might be of use to others to know that the company is still experiencing significant problems. After all, this thread is for Road Buying Advice.

I do genuinely wish the company well and hope they resolve their problems soon but I will not be joining them on their journey of expansion. There are other companies and suppliers.

As far as I'm concerned their service is every bit as good as their prices, and is not "still experiencing significant problems". Utter rubbish. You are, if anything. They are significantly better than a lot of other companies I can think of for customer service but yes, they do sometimes let themselves down. But in my experience they are quick to admit it and put it right. I was sent an incorrect item today which I will have to call them about tomorrow but instead of bitching about it I will pick up the phone. They will sort it.

But, NO company is perfect. Planet X' service is very good in general, but instead of offering them feedback on your issues with email you whinge on a forum which does nothing to help. Did you even fill in the survey? I called them yesterday and was in a queue. The system even tells you how many people are in front of you. It said 4 when I called and I was through to someone within 5 minutes and that has been the longest I've ever waited, and I call them a LOT.. Maybe a little patience is all you need.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Not sure why people get so vitriolic in DEFENDING a retailer just because another person reports bad experiences.
    If you went for a meal one night at a restaurant that had great reviews and you ended up with food poisoning you wouldn't sing its praises now ,would you?
    Same thing here.
  • R0B75
    Is it justified saying they have significant problems or they still have very poor customer service, just because their email response isn't the best at the moment and they have a bit of a queue on the phone? No, its not even in the same league as someone getting food poisoning. Its just idiotic grumbling.
  • galatzo
    galatzo Posts: 1,295
    As rob75 said the terminology still experiencing significant customer service issues etc is overkill to describe matters.
    Strangely (or not) 4 of the pro px debate are from Derbyshire.
    Big up the Peak District massive !
    25th August 2013 12hrs 37mins 52.3 seconds 238km 5500mtrs FYRM Never again.
  • Philly8mt
    Us Derbyshire lot are pretty chilled out I guess ..... :D

Being close to the Planet X shops may help as well lol.
  • imposter2.0
    imposter2.0 Posts: 12,028
    Can I just point out that I'm a long way from Derbyshire - and the PX shop for that matter... ;)
  • Philly8mt
    Imposter wrote:
    Can I just point out that I'm a long way from Derbyshire - and the PX shop for that matter... ;)

You should move!

I think you'd fit in just fine :wink:
  • Well from the horses mouth I think the OP is bang on the money and we deserve the criticism , our service levels and performance in the past few weeks have imploded and we have let a lot of customers down .

I can give some explanations but frankly we should be doing better so we absolutely deserve to get kicked , the best I can give is an apology and maybe the below explanation , I can tell you as founder I am not happy at all , and our staff are generally trying their best . We have some supposed top management running the business now and we have expanded greatly in the past year , with growth comes growing pains and whilst we have generally I think coped well the last 2 weeks there has been an implosion .

We are taking big steps to improve and have the ambition , moving to a 40,000 sq foot custom warehouse in 3 months (as opposed to operating from 4 warehouse will be a massive help) , if we can match execution with ambition we will get there .

I am not saying we are always perfect , but we are normally much better . FWIW here is the meltdown analysis , shouldnt really be for public consumption but I believe we need to be open and transparent with our customers especially when they are suffering the consequences .. This is the CEO analysis sent to me (I am no longer day to day in the operational business but concentrating on rebirth of brands Viner bikes , Carnac , Selcof , and Holdswoth ),

-

"We caused a massive self-inflicted wounds with poor process change in putting Sheffield and Barnsley stock live; manual pricing errors in the discount code price lists; not understanding how the new website/khaos worked with coupon codes and pre-orders. This created 1,000 awaiting stocks and emails for the service team to work through.

We also had 200 denied orders due to stock/location inaccuracies. People are not doing internal location transfers/drop-fill properly.

We have disappointed many customers and our service dropped whilst putting it right. I had complaints which I have personally been involved with and the thought of the angry customers is painful.

Today, we have caught up in current pick/pack and we have 50 denied orders to work going back 4 days.

In customer services we are up to date with awaiting stocks and have 600 email queries still to work going back 3 days. We will be back to within a day with overtime over the weekend.

We got into this mess because of bad stock records and poor process change with store stock going live and not properly checking the coupon codes/price list.

Our recovery has also been too slow and we have scored own goals in sending out bulk emails that try and fix a problem but make it worse.

I have personally walked individual examples through the warehouse, stores, stock records, customer service and seen many examples of poor process adherence along the way.

The lessons are the way we do process change (the store stock and gift vouchers are 2 examples of bad process change) and training/continuous review in the teams particularly when we bring in new staff like the warehouse supervisors and new customer service staff.

We have frontline staff who have really dug in to work (8 named) some clearly didn’t care (2 named) who are on discipliniaries.