Speed change

CRAIGO5000
CRAIGO5000 Posts: 697
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
I use trainerroad and have found in my settings that the wheel circumference was too small.

I've now measured my wheel circ and found it is now 2118mm instead of the old setting 2079mm.

brain fart time! If I was travelling at 20mph with a setting of 2079mm, what new speed would I be doing with a setting of 2118mm? :?

Thanks
Ribble Stealth/SRAM Force
2007 Specialized Allez (Double) FCN - 3

Comments

• monkimark
    monkimark Posts: 1,515
    20.37mph
  • Thanks! :oops:
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    20 / 2079) * 2118 = 20.38 when rounded to two decimal places
  • thegibdog
    thegibdog Posts: 2,106
    Is it a trick question? If you are travelling at 20mph then you're speed is 20mph no matter what your speedo says :wink: .
  • Theoretically. As in, static cadence, static speed and then all of a sudden your rear wheel circumference grows by 39mm but the same cadence is kept. You would then go that little bit quicker.

:D
  • BrandonA
    BrandonA Posts: 553
    CRAIGO5000 wrote:
    Theoretically. As in, static cadence, static speed and then all of a sudden your rear wheel circumference grows by 39mm but the same cadence is kept. You would then go that little bit quicker.

:D

quicker and further.

I ride virtual courses on my Kickr and my wheel size determines the distance I ride. My and the bike weight also impact the speed I can do for certain power levels. If I wanted to therefore cheat I could claim a larger wheel size, lighter bike and reduce my stated weight, I would then travel the virtual courses in a quicker time (i.e. faster speed) even though my power level would be identical to my correct settings.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    D=S/T etc.