Campag and SRAM equivalents

Robd263
Robd263 Posts: 52
edited January 2014 in Road beginners
Hi

Having done my research I now have a rough idea of the hierarchy of the shimano set, but I'm trying to find the equivalent or closest comparison for Campag and SRAM so that I can compare value for money when trawling the Web.

In particular I'm interested in the equivalent of the 105 and ultegra as this is where I have set my sights shimano wise.

I'm sure this has been done to death but it's hard to find using search as most threads have these words.

Also, if someone could explain what the SRAM double tap shifting is, that would be great!!!!!

Comments

• luv2ride
    luv2ride Posts: 2,367
    I'm not sure that the SRAM line is strictly comparable to Shimano (not sure how it compares to the Campag range). For instance I've read that SRAM Apex sits between Tiagra and 105, Rival sits between 105 and Ultegra and Force between Ultegra and Durace and Red higher again.

I've had Rival and liked it so much I now run bikes with Apex and Force groupsets. I've also used Shimano 105 5600 and whilst it was good, I didn't find the shifting was as positive as SRAM - "like stirring custard". I also prefer the fact that the brake lever is completely separate from the shifter (the Shimano systems use a combined brake and shifter lever).

(This copied from another forum) With SRAM, just like Campy, the brake lever is not involved in shifting. On the right a short push on the inbound lever causes a shift to a small cog (like the thumb button on Campy). A longer sweep causes a shift to larger cog (just like Campy inner lever). On the left side its the same for the chainrings. This sounds harder than it really is. Its pretty easy to discern between and upshift and a downshift.

I understand that Campag has a similar positive shift - a mate of mine swears by his Campag gruppos...
    Titus Silk Road Ti rigid 29er - Scott Solace 10 disc - Kinesis Crosslight Pro6 disc - Scott CR1 SL - Pinnacle Arkose X 650b - Pinnacle Arkose singlespeed - Specialized Singlecross...& an Ernie Ball Musicman Stingray 4 string...
  • I think that Veloce is a little below 105, Centaur a little above with Athena roughly analogous to Ultegra

IMO campag shifts about the same as the old 105/ultegra with the exposed wires and better than the newer shim stuff (with the shift wires running back through the bars like SRAM and campag already had). I haven't tried the latest 11 speed D-A or Ultegra groups yet though so they could well be as good as before.
  • Calpol
    Calpol Posts: 1,039
    They all work.
    Even 9 speed Sora on my Mrs bike is fine.
    Personally I use Campagnolo. It was what was on my first modern bike and I like it. Its reliable and shifts well and has more of a mechanical "thunk" than Shimano. Shimano is incredibly smooth and efficient, too much so for me. At times I couldnt discern whether the thing had shifted or not! I find it a little souless if you will allow such a description. I have also tried SRAM and quite like it.

Value wise - it seems very competitive at present. I think with some of the current discounting you could get Ultegra 11 speed sub £500. Athena would be c£100 more.I have heard people say that Campag wear in and Shimano wears out but thats probably fokelore.
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    For Campagnolo, forget the artificial hierarchies. Many of the differences are just things like more composite in the mouldings etc which leads to tiny weight changes. The only real differences are the number of gears and the type of shift mechanism and crankset (ie Powershift and Powertorque vs Ultrashift and Ultratorque) - these are the only things that matter in any real world sense; everything else is really down to what sticker level floats your ego the most!

So, Veloce and Centaur are (all but) identical - Powertorque (difficult to get the cranks off), Powershift (single downshifts), 10 speed. Athena is the same as Veloce and Centaur but in 11 speed.

Chorus, Record and Super Record are (all but) identical - Ultratorque (easy to get the cranks off), Ultrashift (multiple downshifts), 11 speed.

Decide what groupset you want based on that rather than comparisons with other groupsets with different range philosophies!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • desweller
    desweller Posts: 5,175
    You're sort of missing the point. As another poster has said, they all work. What you need to do is try them out, see which shifters fit your hands best and which shifting method you prefer.
    - - - - - - - - - -
    On Strava.{/url}
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    I switched to Campag Record from Ultegra and Christ the shifting is night as day! It's even better than Ultegra DI!
  • I have bikes with Shmano Ultegra 10sp 6700, Sram Apex, Sram Red and Campag Athena 11sp

My Fav is the Sram Red followed up by the Campy Athena,
  • I'm moving from 11sp Athena to 11sp Super Record for the multiple downshifts and because, well, er it looks nice.

I would place 11sp Athena just below Ultegra but i would still have the campag before shim as the hoods suit my hands better.
    Wilier Cento Uno SR 2013 in Fluro Yellow
    Cannondale Caad10 2014 in BLACK!!
  • DesB3rd
    DesB3rd Posts: 285
    See how your hands/instincts work with each - that's the real decider.

As an example I'm OK with double-tap and Shimano systems from just about any position on the bars but always have to shuffle my hands (up around the drops or back on the hoods) to reach the Campag up-shift button, hence I prefer the two former systems as regards shifting. Conversely I like the broad, squarer hood top on the Campag shifters.
  • secretsam
    secretsam Posts: 5,098
    I think "suck it and see"

I've used low end groups from both Shimano (Sora) and Campag (Veloce). Campag (I never call it "Campy", too American, ewww :D) has a more positive 'clunk' on the shift, but it's all a matter of taste. And price. Bear in mind that wheel choice will be determined by the groupset you go for - some wheels are only suitable for certain types of gears (eg SRAM/Shimano 10speed same; Campag 10 speed different; all 11 speeds different again...)

It's just a hill. Get over it.