What are the "bucket list" events for amateurs

littledove44
littledove44 Posts: 871
edited February 2014 in Road general
I am compiling a list of what for me will be the big bike challenges for the next ten years. That will keep me going until I am seventy.

So, they need to be toughish, but not horrendous. They should be in great locations as I will combine them with holidays, and they need to be fun.

They do not necessarily need to be public organised events.

I have started the list, which of course is not going to be in priority order. Travel will dictate that.

1. The Cape Argus.
2. prudential ride London.

Please help me with the other eight.

Comments

• napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    The big ride thingy round Mallorca. I think that's what it's called anyway.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • bigpikle
    bigpikle Posts: 1,690
    The obvious few:

Fred Whitton
    Raid Pryrenean, Alps, Corsica & Dolomites
    Maratona dles Dolomites
    Quebranteheusos
    Marmotte
    Paris-Brest-Paris

then its down to your preferences really - loads of options...loads of other GFs and challenge rides eg LeJog etc
    Your Past is Not Your Potential...
  • Ber Nard
    Ber Nard Posts: 827
    Paris Roubaix sportive
    L'Etape du Tour
    LEJOG

Rob
  • Thanks.

What about the USA, Canada! Australia! South America etc.....?
  • NapoleonD wrote:
    The big ride thingy round Mallorca. I think that's what it's called anyway.

That might be outside my zone of competence.

"The Mallorca 312, in its third year in 2012, charts the full circumference of the island (the clue's in the name – 312km). With more than 4,300m of climbing, you get 14 hours to reach the finish. Held at the end of April each year, it's not an event for the faint-hearted, and sees riders approach Mallorca's highest point – Puig Major at 1,445m. The WiW Duva International, held a week before, offers a 135km event on the Saturday and a 95km sportive on the Sunday."
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Ronde van Vlaanderan sportive
  • marcusjb
    marcusjb Posts: 2,412
    Paris Brest Paris
    Bryan Chapman Memorial
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Two tough ones:
    Oetztaler Radmarathon (Austrian Tirol)
    Alpen Brevet (Switzerland)
  • Thanks folks. Please keep them coming.

If they are too tough I might split them in half and find a hotel in the middle.

I was given Dave Barter's new book for Christmas. Great British bike rides. Brilliantly put together, excellent data etc.

Shall try a few from there as well.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Great-British-B ... 1906148554
  • rjh299
    rjh299 Posts: 721
    Thanks.

If Mallorca is out of your competence zone then suggesting the RAAM might be a stretch aswell?
  • Lapthelough here in n ireland.its a charity sportive and is about 85 miles.do a youtube search and they also have a website.
    Lapierre Aircode 300
    Merida
  • Tour Of Wessex
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    Kitzbuehel Horn Mountain-Cycle Race
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    Styrkeprøven
  • Time Megeve, June.

Can't wait!
  • john_wr
    john_wr Posts: 50
    L'Eroica in Tuscany. You will need access to a pre 1980's bike though, but the routes are clearly signed to be ridden at any time on any bike.

John.
  • Something i would like to do as a holiday would be to cycle the coast of mainland Britain.
  • rjh299 wrote:
    Thanks.

If Mallorca is out of your competence zone then suggesting the RAAM might be a stretch aswell?

What's a RAAM?

Mallorca isn't out of my competence. I spent a week there this winter and loved the riding.

What is probably out of my competence is over 300km in 14 hours, climbing up Puig Major included.
  • taon24
    taon24 Posts: 185
    RAAM is Race Across AMerica. Coast to coast across the united states, not for the faint hearted. Similarly the transcontinental race across europe is a significant challenge.
  • sub55
    sub55 Posts: 1,025
    two ride's on my bucket list that never got done
    race around Ireland
    http://racearoundireland.com/
    and
    Cambrian series 8A
    http://www.aukweb.net/perms/detail/CB33/

these days getting to the end of the street is most definately on the list
    constantly reavalueating the situation and altering the perceived parameters accordingly
  • cycleclinic
    cycleclinic Posts: 6,865
    Paris roubioux will be next year for me this year is tour of flanders cyclo - all of it. I intend to do all of these big spring classics routes in time.

Just pick something that you think you might not finish then it a real challange. The ride 100 having done it last year is flat and pretty easy. Fun but easy even with my level of fitness last summer (not that high) I managed 21mph average. The only good thing about the ride 100 is the closed roads.

L'erioca require a pre 1987 bike.

I would like to try some MTB riding in the Andes that would be tough. Alps are closer and there are some tough MTB events there, i know it's not road but if it has two wheels and involves pedals I am game.
    http://www.thecycleclinic.co.uk -wheel building and other stuff.
  • What about London - Edinburgh - Cardiff - London? Or in any other order.
  • Warm up with some Audax's, but:

Etape du Dales
    Lands end to John O'Groats
    Haute Route Pyrenees & Alps
  • Paris roubioux will be next year for me this year is tour of flanders cyclo - all of it. I intend to do all of these big spring classics routes in time.

THE Paris-Roubaix is only ran every other year in June (2014, 2016 etc.. )... there is also the ASO event, but it's not the Paris-Roubaix... it's a shortish ride with a portion of the PR cobbles (30 Km instead of 55), kind of a taster for mamils who want to feel like Boonen for a day.

Actually even THE Paris-Roubaix is now no longer the real thing, as you don't start from Compiegne any longer, but from Bohain en Vermendois and it's "only" 210 Km, but at least it's got all the 27 official sectors of pave' and it's still the closest you get to the real thing.
    So it's this coming June I'm afraid... 8)

http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/
    left the forum March 2023
  • Paris roubioux will be next year for me this year is tour of flanders cyclo - all of it. I intend to do all of these big spring classics routes in time.

THE Paris-Roubaix is only ran every other year in June (2014, 2016 etc.. )... there is also the ASO event, but it's not the Paris-Roubaix... it's a shortish ride with a portion of the PR cobbles (30 Km instead of 55), kind of a taster for mamils who want to feel like Boonen for a day.

Actually even THE Paris-Roubaix is now no longer the real thing, as you don't start from Compiegne any longer, but from Bohain en Vermendois and it's "only" 210 Km, but at least it's got all the 27 official sectors of pave' and it's still the closest you get to the real thing.
    So it's this coming June I'm afraid... 8)

http://www.vc-roubaix-cyclo.fr/site/

Thanks for the thought but feeling like Boonen for a day will not make my final list.

Cobbles just don't appeal to me at all. It may be a classic, but I like smooth roads, and the thought of even 30k turns me off it.
  • Thanks for the thought but feeling like Boonen for a day will not make my final list.

Cobbles just don't appeal to me at all. It may be a classic, but I like smooth roads, and the thought of even 30k turns me off it.

Admittedly, it's an acquired taste... I was all for the mountains, but once you've done the big ones, the steep ones, the beautiful ones, and you know you'll go up the Alpe d'Huez in 60-70 minutes depending on the day and the form, you start looking for a different challenge and Roubaix is unique. Of course you have to like the PRO race in the first place: the grit, the guts, the mud, the dust and the legend... if you don't it really has no appeal
  • robbo2011
    robbo2011 Posts: 1,017
    Ugo, you forgot the wind. The wind can make any ride an absolute killer up there.
  • robbo2011 wrote:
    Ugo, you forgot the wind. The wind can make any ride an absolute killer up there.

Yeah... but the Roubaix Velo event is ran in June... that said 4 years ago we had torrential rain for 2 hours... that was nice... :?
  • simona75
    simona75 Posts: 336
    This has a very good reputation and is a bit different (thinking of going myself this year)

http://bergenck.no/default.aspx?pageId=263