5000 miles

philwint
philwint Posts: 763
edited January 2014 in Road general
42 miles in horrible wind and lashings of rain!

But it did let me complete 5000 miles for the year (my previous maximum was about 850 miles). I'm sure many here have done more, or less but with a greater personal challenge. But this was my target from early in the summer so I am very pleased to have achieved it.

During the summer it looked like it was going to be easy to do, but as the weather worsened and other priorities took my time November was a complete write off as far as cycling went. So, I ended up with 400 miles to do in the last 2 weeks. A couple of times i thought about giving up, the week before Christmas I had a couple of soul destroying rides in miserable weather, and it would have been so easy to quit.

But all in all it's been a great year, even if I felt like selling my bikes the last 2 weeks. Thanks mainly go the the Calder Clarion lads who's Sunday club runs make up a big chunk of my miles.

I hope everyone else got as much out of their cycling this year as i did :D

Comments

• rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Congrats and well done! But do be careful with this self challenging stuff. I ended up this year with 750 miles to cover in the last 16 days........
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Well done
  • Congrats and well done :D
  • rob21
    rob21 Posts: 284
    edited December 2013
    5369 this year for me.. been a pretty good year THB..
  • Well done I'm very envious my target was 5200 this year (100 per week) but I've fallen well short due to two accidents and illness - next year :!:
  • alihisgreat
    alihisgreat Posts: 3,872
    I've got ~25km left to do tomorrow to get me to 10,000km for the year - and to finish the Festive 500. Its been a good year :mrgreen:
  • Currently sat 142 miles short of 7000 recorded miles on strava.
    No chance of getting that done tomorrow.
    Still not bad for my first full year back on a road bike.
    10,000 is the target next year.
  • Dorset_Boy
    Dorset_Boy Posts: 6,873
    Chapeau to you all.
    I'm pleased with my 5,275 kms on the road bike(s), plus 1,000 kms on the turbo, smashing my previous best by a large amount!

A decent summer makes such a difference.
  • I was doing really well until had to spend the last 4 mo ths in the uk :-( was hoping for 15 thousand miles but ended up around 9 i think. Well dont to all heres to a new year
  • rowlers
    rowlers Posts: 1,614
    My first year of proper cycling and I've clocked 3200miles. I'm delighted with this, as family and other commitments take the vast majority of my time.
    Target for 2014 is 5000miles.
  • ianbar
    ianbar Posts: 1,354
    well done to everyone. i did set a target of 4000 but only managed 3100 but year before i did 1800 so quite happy and did hit other targets. i should manage 4000 next year.
    enigma esprit
    cannondale caad8 tiagra 2012
  • Well done! I've got 40 miles to do tomorrow to get to 5000 miles on the road. That's about 700 down on last year, but I've done 1200 turbo miles this year, compared with zero last year.
  • Wel dun all, have you all considered writing blogs about this?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • philwint
    Wel dun all, have you all considered writing blogs about this?

Going by the warm and loving responses* I've been getting from my (now at Uni) daughter, regarding my cycling adventures...... I suspect there would not be much interest

*"If it is about your bike, then please remember that not a single f*ck is given!"
  • It's good to have targets, as long as they don't become 'monkeys on our backs'! Hit my 6,000 mile target on Christmas Eve, and, with great humility, it felt great to achieve that. Like the old saying goes - ' A sailor without a chart to his destination will just wander the oceans' - or some silly stuff like that. To all of you that reached their targets, and especially to those that didn't, have a very Happy New Year, and here's to next year's challenges! God bless.
    Raymondo

"Let's just all be really careful out there folks!"
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I passed 21,000 miles this evening! wasn't really a target but pleasing all the same!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I've got 40 miles to do tomorrow to get to 5000 miles on the road. That's about 700 down on last year, but I've done 1200 turbo miles this year, compared with zero last year.

Best wishes for tomorrow and fingers crossed for decent weather.I've got 45 miles to go for my own 5000.

We've come too far to wimp out now!
  • ju5t1n
    ju5t1n Posts: 2,028
    Chris Bass wrote:
    I passed 21,000 miles this evening! wasn't really a target but pleasing all the same!

Over 50 miles a day for a year. Chapeau!
  • philwint
    Chris Bass wrote:

Amazing. Very well done :D
  • This year wasn't anything really notable. I'm hoping to hit 8000 miles in the next year on the commuter bike, and about 4,000 on the race bike if possible.
  • chris_bass
    ju5t1n wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Over 50 miles a day for a year. Chapeau!

thank you
    philwint wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:

Amazing. Very well done :D

and also, thank you
  • mm1
    mm1 Posts: 1,063
    4,957 unless I get out tomorrow - dismal! I have managed to reverse the steady decline in my 25 times (still awful, so not going to tell you lot), however didn't manage even a quarter decent 10 and as for losing a couple of stone (ahem) and doing some real racing, forget it. Ah well, there's always next year.
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    My riding year ended on the 22nd. For some reason i got it into my head that i was 160 miles short of my yearly 10,000 mile target and spent the whole of last Saturday riding like mad all over Yorkshire since i knew it was going to be torrential rain on the last day (Sunday). Got home and checked my spreadsheet to find i'd only needed to do 115 miles instead. So kinda a wasted effort, lol.
  • chris_bass
    Ouija wrote:
    My riding year ended on the 22nd. For some reason i got it into my head that i was 160 miles short of my yearly 10,000 mile target and spent the whole of last Saturday riding like mad all over Yorkshire since i knew it was going to be torrential rain on the last day (Sunday). Got home and checked my spreadsheet to find i'd only needed to do 115 miles instead. So kinda a wasted effort, lol.

you did 160 miles in December? good effort! especially in the winds we've had recently!

i'm beginning to think if there is a higher being of any description out there he/she/it must hate cyclists! as it get to the end of the year and people are trying to get the last few miles in to reach their yearly targets there is nothing but epic rain and winds!!
  • davem399
    davem399 Posts: 269
    Didn't have a target for the year, but was pleased with my 5,387 in the end. Due to the weather, December has been a poor month. At least I have a target to beat for 2014.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    Didn't have a target for the year until at the start of December I realised I had done 4500 miles. 500 miles in a little over three weeks would have been ok in June/July, but I had been tapering (ahem!) my rides since October. I did 65 in the ice and frost on Sunday which hurt like hell as I hadn't gone that far for about 5 months and then 35 to finish it off yesterday. Feeling a bit Steve Redgrave about my bike right now!
  • Ouija
    Ouija Posts: 1,386
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Ouija wrote:

you did 160 miles in December? good effort! especially in the winds we've had recently!

i'm beginning to think if there is a higher being of any description out there he/she/it must hate cyclists! as it get to the end of the year and people are trying to get the last few miles in to reach their yearly targets there is nothing but epic rain and winds!!

Oh yeah. Up at the crack of dawn. Spent the whole day riding round with a 10 cell battery pack strapped to the bike as it was dark when i left and dark when i got back in. My knees didn't recover until Monday. I'd actually planned on doing 12,000 miles this year as i did 10,000 last year but the terrible weather at the beginning of the year put a stop to that.

I actually think this winter as been pretty mild compared to last years and the year before (haven't even seen any snow yet).
  • chris_bass
    Ouija wrote:
    Chris Bass wrote:
    Ouija wrote:

Oh yeah. Up at the crack of dawn. Spent the whole day riding round with a 10 cell battery pack strapped to the bike as it was dark when i left and dark when i got back in. My knees didn't recover until Monday. I'd actually planned on doing 12,000 miles this year as i did 10,000 last year but the terrible weather at the beginning of the year put a stop to that.

I actually think this winter as been pretty mild compared to last years and the year before (haven't even seen any snow yet).
    its been January and February the last couple of years that have been really bad, i think we had the coldest Jan to March on record this year! so we have that to look forward to!
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    I had a target of 4000 miles - achieved that at the end of Oct - so had Nov & Dec free ... only put another ~600 miles on since then ...

I'm not quite sure how I'd get any more than 4-5k miles in in the year as I do "other things" at the weekend - most of the miles have been commuting ..

Still - I'll set the target at 5k for next year and see how I get on..
  • 3485 for me - it was my first whole year of cycling.

Not sure a target of more than about 4k would be realistic, given my other commitments, but I would like to knock half an hour or more off my RLS 100 time (6.53) - it was the big milestone of the year for me, and will be again next year.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?