ANT+ HRM or Cadence Sensor

feemackenzie
feemackenzie Posts: 130
edited December 2013 in Road general
After a year of using my Garmin 500 I'm planning to upgrade by adding either a HRM or Cadence sensor - can't afford both a bib tights are needed.

Which one should I get?

Any advice on cheap or reliable Ant+ heart rate monitor that pair with a Garmin 500

Thanks
Felt z95 - loving my first road bike

Comments

• 47p2
    47p2 Posts: 329
    Cadence sensors are only £28.24 on Amazon ATM
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    HRM - you need to know your limits to train effectively. Buy the Garmin HRM but replace the strap with a Polar one - the Garmin one will be lucky to last 6 months.
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    get the old garmin hrm1b, they last for years - the newer garmin is nowhere near as good

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Garmin-Heart-Ra ... B000UOD5QM
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • craker
    craker Posts: 1,739
    sungod wrote:
    get the old garmin hrm1b, they last for years ...

hmmm, mine's just died after < 3 years (and not masses of use). Do you look after yours? (I've since read a 'clean it every 7 rides' rule). Not sure whether to shell out for a new one - the information was interesting but I never trained in a way that used hr zones.)
  • tdougan
    tdougan Posts: 152
    I got both in the Garmin Bundle.

I noticed a great advantage with the heart monitor - on the first ride alone. It allows you to ride at a solid pace.

Great tool.
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,532
    craker wrote:
    sungod wrote:
    get the old garmin hrm1b, they last for years ...

hmmm, mine's just died after < 3 years (and not masses of use). Do you look after yours? (I've since read a 'clean it every 7 rides' rule). Not sure whether to shell out for a new one - the information was interesting but I never trained in a way that used hr zones.)

mine's in it's fifth year, must be 900-1,000 wearings, sweated on, frozen, baked, scrubbed underwater, squished into luggage, hung up to dry in the sun

stuff fails, there's no consumer device with a perfect reliability record, but if you look online the hrm1b has few reports of problems relative to the later models
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny