Listen to instinct

Simmo72
Simmo72 Posts: 262
edited December 2013 in Road general
Shouldn't have gone out for a ride today, roads looked bad but desperate for some exercise having been laid up with a chest infection and today was first opportunity to get out in weeks. Take it easy I thought.

5 miles in came to the conclusion it was stupid, too much black ice.

2 miles from home came down hard despite being careful. Half my arse is still lying on a road in Hampshire, one very sore back and a shredded pair of bib tights. Still could be worse, and expect a lot will experience today, worst conditions I've seen in ages.

Bike ok, just a small scratch on rear mech, pedal and saddle, my bike protection system....my arse....did its job.

LISTEN TO YOUR INSTINCT

Comments

• Bobbinogs
    Bobbinogs Posts: 4,841
    Same here. Met up for the club ride and should have bailed out when a guy went down on ice before we even started. We got about 10 miles into the ride and came across a car on its roof, police around and a big load of sheet ice across the road, people falling over just trying to walk...that was enough and a few of us turned around and called it quits. Lucky escape though, there could have been 20 of us on our butts if we had hit that ice about 15 minutes earlier.
  • binsted
    binsted Posts: 182
    And another,

Was going out for the club ride but when I slipped on the drive before getting the bike out so I decided to leave it till 11-30 when I thought it would be clear.

Still had in mind my normal 35 ml circuit and the Hampshire roads were fine until you came across a shaded area, felt the back wheel go a few times and then came to an area where the whole surface was clear ice. No problem as I got off and walked and promptly went over. That was enough for me, turned round and headed home, ..............its just not worth damaging the bike :)
  • schwalbe-47293-med.jpg?w=430&h=430&a=7
    left the forum March 2023
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    kGFN8cml.jpg

Tyres a little bit over-inflated at about 12psi meant I had more bounce than I'd prefer. Too much surface water these last few days plus freezing temperatures make road riding a bit fool-hardy
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Me too!
    Managed to crash on black ice this morning - Whilst going uphill on the straight!
    Gave it some beans, rear wheel broke traction, next thing i'm in a heap in the middle of the road.
    Fortunately no cars in either direction, so only a giant bruise on my hip - Hate to imagine what would have happened if there was a car coming the other way at the time.
    Scary thing was that it took a couple of minutes to find the offending patch even though I knew it was there - Totally invisible.
    Be careful out there!
  • Got up at 8:30am this morning - looked out window and could see thick frost even in direct sunshine. Went back to bed.

On country lanes there is no way there wouldn't be treacherous conditions and didn't feel like cycling on main, gritted roads with a stupidly bright sun blinding drivers*

This is possibly the only weather I'm nervous about going out in.

Listen to your bike and if there's even a hint of movement with the tyres then don't change direction, don't speed up or slow down suddenly. Modulate the power to the back wheel so that's a constant, small drive through the tyre's contact patch. Walk down\up hills if necessary. Stop and point the bike in the right direction rather than steer. Slow down. Listen to your instincts.

* Also a lot of drivers just don't get the idea that some roads may not be gritted. Or even if they are that there may still be patches of ice :roll:
    Sometimes you're the hammer, sometimes you're the nail

strava profile
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    That is MEGA!!! I want one and I want it now :D:D:D

Read all about it here:
    http://www.spanner.org.uk/2013/12/frase ... -titanium/

It looks completely mad and rides like it too - closest you can get to fat-biking with regular bike parts - excepting the custom titanium frame and Surly Knard tyres. I'd consider myself a fairly competent MTB rider, but this allows me to go places and ride stuff regular MTBs struggle with. I'm waiting for some snow to go play :-)
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • kajjal
    kajjal Posts: 3,380
    Got up at 8:30am this morning - looked out window and could see thick frost even in direct sunshine. Went back to bed.

On country lanes there is no way there wouldn't be treacherous conditions and didn't feel like cycling on main, gritted roads with a stupidly bright sun blinding drivers*

This is possibly the only weather I'm nervous about going out in.

Listen to your bike and if there's even a hint of movement with the tyres then don't change direction, don't speed up or slow down suddenly. Modulate the power to the back wheel so that's a constant, small drive through the tyre's contact patch. Walk down\up hills if necessary. Stop and point the bike in the right direction rather than steer. Slow down. Listen to your instincts.

* Also a lot of drivers just don't get the idea that some roads may not be gritted. Or even if they are that there may still be patches of ice :roll:

Did exactly the same this morning and was hoping to be out for a few hours as well and didn't go out yesterday when it was ideal weather :(

Nothing you can do on black ice on a bike the bike is gone before you can react. Even off road ice is a pain.
  • de_sisti
    de_sisti Posts: 1,283
    Bobbinogs wrote:
    Same here. Met up for the club ride and should have bailed out when a guy went down on ice before we even started. We got about 10 miles into the ride and came across a car on its roof, police around and a big load of sheet ice across the road, people falling over just trying to walk...that was enough and a few of us turned around and called it quits. Lucky escape though, there could have been 20 of us on our butts if we had hit that ice about 15 minutes earlier.

Lots of black ice, especially on A46 towards Stroud, Nailsworth to Avening, Avening to Tetbury, A433 Tetbury to Cirencester, Cirencester A435 to Cheltenham. Basically, I had to soft pedal most of the way round. I couldn't divert
    through the lanes, as they would have been even worse.

I should have known better, and I won't be making the same mistake again. (Managed to stay upright throughtout
    the ride).
  • Is it icy out then?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • [imgeaux.jpg][/img]Its good to get out on the bike but after ending up on my arse on Xmas day its the turbo or only riding in the afternoons after black ice is hopefully gone,icy rides are not worth the risk,road rash and bruises are bad enough but a broken bone is gonna be a major pain in the er well whatever you happen to break, anyway heres my trophy from my off, anybody got some more to show.
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Have been paying attention to ice possibilities here. Have had one off with broken bones and don't want another one. Fortunately none yet so far down in cornwall
  • shipley
    shipley Posts: 549
    Same here, went out early and skidded on ice on the drive so put the winter road bike back in the garage and took this to the coast :D

9569656009_041d0387c2_b.jpg
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Was 5 degrees here.

Checked Twitter - nobody reporting ice and didnt see any - but 20 miles in - the roads were starting to ice.
    Guys coming the other way told us there was black ice that way - so we cut short the ride. I'd rather be fit and well than have road rash or worse stopping me cycling.
  • Semantik
    Semantik Posts: 537
    Turbo's can save lives. use one and don't be tempted to go out when temperatures have been near to freezing overnight.
    This could happen to you:
    http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/uk-england-tyne-25541942
  • Initialised
    Initialised Posts: 3,047
    Same here yesterday, 5C when I set off, as I was climbing up a 200m/700ft hill (about as high as Stanley) I slipped on some ice, just the back wheel at first, pressed on nearly lost it further up, just a bruised knee and on the wrong side of the road. But shot nerves ruined the rest of the ride. Instinct had told me not to bother with the climb. Should have listened and stayed on the flat in the valley.

My snow tyres are 26" and the bike they are going on needs a wheel truing before using in anger, I'm going to have to stop putting off the repair. Nothing better than blasting through frozen puddles on dirt tracks, you know, just because you can!
    I used to just ride my bike to work but now I find myself going out looking for bigger and bigger hills.
  • davep1
    davep1 Posts: 836
    I don't know how I got away with 65 miles yesterday! :oops: It seemed to be worse the further west I went; there wasn't any near Shoreham but past Storrington I started to see frosty roads and then black ice, had to cross a flood near Fittleworth! I had planned to go to Blackdown but thought the coast may be warmer so aimed for Duncton and then Goodwood. Saw a car on its side near Upwaltham, dirty white smoke pouring from the screaming engine. Driver in shock, motorists helping him trying to decide whether it was ok to try to switch the engine off.

Had a very nice egg and bacon sarnie from a burger van in the retail park at the end of Littlehampton if anyone else is out that way :D
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    I opted for the MTB yesterday. My whole area was white with frost until about lunchtime, the frost kept the mud at bay too.
  • kettrinboy wrote:
    [imgeaux.jpg][/img]Its good to get out on the bike but after ending up on my ars* on Xmas day its the turbo or only riding in the afternoons after black ice is hopefully gone,icy rides are not worth the risk,road rash and bruises are bad enough but a broken bone is gonna be a major pain in the er well whatever you happen to break, anyway heres my trophy from my off, anybody got some more to show.

did you land on a square object???
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    DaveP1 wrote:
    I don't know how I got away with 65 miles yesterday! :oops: It seemed to be worse the further west I went; there wasn't any near Shoreham but past Storrington I started to see frosty roads and then black ice, had to cross a flood near Fittleworth!

I was out in West Sussex yesterday - too nice not to go out but I quickly bailed off the minor roads in the morning after having a rear wheel slip on a climb near Bolney. By midday, around Ashington/ Billingshurst it all seemed a lot better but again, heading back towards Haywards Heath through the hills in the afternoon there were icy puddles and glazed looking surfaces here and there that bothered me. You could predict where they'd be though - generally on the shady side of the road where there was no tree cover. Under trees or on the north side of the road there wasn't anything to worry about so heading East was better than heading west!
    Faster than a tent.......
  • There was a bit of frost around yesterday first thing here in Twickenham, and my Edge 800 was reporting 4 degrees. I left it till 11 to go out, and went down to Box Hill and back. I was extremely careful on corners, and took it really easy on the descents.

It seemed fine (albeit quite wet in places), but was I just lucky? I'm a bit inexperienced judging roads in wintry weather. It was dry most of the time when I went out last winter.
    Is the gorilla tired yet?
  • awavey
    awavey Posts: 2,368
    yep not sure Id have gone out on a road bike, but went out around midday on my hybrid, hoping to have let most of the frost melt knowing it was probably the last bit of sun & blue skies we were going to get this year, and on the main roads that had been gritted and sun exposed parts it was fine, quite warm in fact.

But once I got out on to the more rural roads it got a bit more hairy, and when you start riding past frozen puddles, frost covered sides of the road, and lots of tree shaded damp bits, must admit I was wondering what on earth I was doing out there :?

I tried to keep my route so it included as much sun exposed roads as possible, though it did mean I kept finding the wind and maintain an easy moving pace in the bad bits, I only felt a wobble once but there were parts where I didnt feel comfortable at all and expected to hit the deck for sure. But there were plenty of cyclists out (all going the opposite way oddly not one passed me on my route) who all must have had the same idea and Id assume theyd have warned me about any majorly bad bits, not that most of them could even muster a friendly wave back :roll:
  • Simmo72
    Simmo72 Posts: 262
    Turned out the road rash is the least painful....battered, bruised shoulder back, hip ribs and a swollen knee.

Worst crash I've had in years and annoyingly avoidable if I'd listened to myself......never again

actually the most painful bit was ordering the replacement kit.
  • neeb
    neeb Posts: 4,467
    kettrinboy wrote:
    [imgeaux.jpg][/img]Its good to get out on the bike but after ending up on my ars* on Xmas day its the turbo or only riding in the afternoons after black ice is hopefully gone,icy rides are not worth the risk,road rash and bruises are bad enough but a broken bone is gonna be a major pain in the er well whatever you happen to break, anyway heres my trophy from my off, anybody got some more to show.
    Bet you wished your legs had been shaved when you peeled that dressing off.. :wink:

The perils of winter... :)