Rants against motorists and white vans here

bazzer2
bazzer2 Posts: 189
edited January 2014 in Road general
Anyone know what sort of punishment fits this if the offender is caught please?

I'm aware that milkshake isn't crime of the century but I'm flat out not allowing this behaviour to go unchecked.

Might have been caught on CCTV, in visiting the cop shop tomorrow to give a full statement.

Comments

• kingstonian
    kingstonian Posts: 2,847
    Depends if you catch the idiot, or if the cops do.
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Depends what flavour it was.

Sorry, depends on offending history of the thrower if caught. If no previous most likely a caution. Fingers crossed they can catch them.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Don't hold your breath unless you've got independent witness(es) or they can be identified on CCTV - speaking from personal similar experience.
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    It was probably kelis, she's always going on about her milkshake
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • Brant
    Brant Posts: 41
    Hope you weren't wearing white.
  • Grill
    Grill Posts: 5,610
    Milkshakes here are weak. If you'd had a Culver's concrete mixer thrown instead you wouldn't be able to whine about it on a public forum. Because you'd be dead.
    English Cycles V3 | Cervelo P5 | Cervelo T4 | Trek Domane Koppenberg
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    Did you lick it off or let the wind wick it off?
  • farrina
    farrina Posts: 360
    I sympathise with your predicament as likewise I have been physically and visually assaulted by occupants of motor vehicles in the past whilst riding my bike, although I must confess the circumstances were somewhat more pleasant .....

By visually assaulted I mean the female occupants of a passing car who insisted on "mooning" me as they passed, although they seemed less willing to engage when I unexpectedly caught them up at the next set of traffic lights. At the time I was that shocked I forgot to slap the offending cheek as it passed.

By physically assaulted I mean the lady who lent out of a passing vehicle to squeeze my posterior (admittably traffic was moving slowly at the time)

In case you think I am being flippant in my response to your posting I do recognise the potential danger of being hit by any object thrown from a vehicle and have personally experienced whilst cycling a driver deliberately trying to run me off the road. I was lucky enough to meet him again at the local Magistrates Court where he learnt his approach was not acceptable (but in my case I had the benefit of two independent witnesses).

Good luck with your visit to the Police and may your next experience be a more pleasant one.

Regards

Alan
    Regards
    Alan
  • motogull
    motogull Posts: 325
    Pretty sure this amounts to some form of assault.
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    Shame they didn't throw some Duracells at you.

Then you could have got them done for battery.

I'll get my coat...
  • DavidJB
    DavidJB Posts: 2,019
    The vanilla sentence for such a moosive crime is surely going to be udderly ridiculous even if they get caught. A shake down might be all it takes to stop it happening again.
  • dandrew
    dandrew Posts: 175
    LegendLust wrote:
    Shame they didn't throw some Duracells at you.

Then you could have got them done for battery.

I'll get my coat...

good job it wasn't condiments and Duracells.

Would have been a salt and battery.......
    Sorry I've been on the crackers ( jokes ) over the festive period!
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Motogull wrote:
    Pretty sure this amounts to some form of assault.

It's what is mistakenly called common assault but is in reality battery for the object hitting you and criminal damage for the clothing and bike being covered in the milkshake. As it is two offences, even for a first time offender, I'd expect them to get a fine. A single offence, then yes an adult caution would be in order.
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • bazzer2
    Grill wrote:
    Milkshakes here are weak. If you'd had a Culver's concrete mixer thrown instead you wouldn't be able to whine about it on a public forum. Because you'd be dead.
    Thanks grill, very helpful. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you.
  • hopefully the police catch him and give him a good "shake"down
  • giant_man
    giant_man Posts: 6,878
    lucky it was just a milkshake
  • tlw1
    tlw1 Posts: 21,862
    a 'straw' pole suggests this has happened to a few of us
  • napoleond
    napoleond Posts: 5,992
    Yeah, getting things thrown at you can be a bit of a soul-crusha.
    Insta: ATEnduranceCoaching
    ABCC Cycling Coach
  • Grill
    bazzer2 wrote:
    Grill wrote:
    Thanks grill, very helpful. Merry Christmas and happy new year to you.

You're welcome. 'Tis the season to count your blessings.

img-category-mixers.jpg
  • I had a burger and fries chucked at me recently and I had the cars number. The Police at first said it wasn't worth following up as they couldn't prosecute and didn't waste time getting in touch with drivers just to issue a warning or advice to them (no camera/witness). They later called back to say on reflection they would pull him over and have a word but that's all that could be done.
  • TakeTurns
    TakeTurns Posts: 1,075
    foggymike wrote:
    I had a burger and fries chucked at me recently and I had the cars number. The Police at first said it wasn't worth following up as they couldn't prosecute and didn't waste time getting in touch with drivers just to issue a warning or advice to them (no camera/witness). They later called back to say on reflection they would pull him over and have a word but that's all that could be done.

Maybe they thought you were hungry? Perhaps a compliment to your lean physique!
  • LegendLust
    LegendLust Posts: 1,022
    They could at the very least be fined for littering?
  • theres been times i wouldve stopped and ate said burger lol.

Shame that the police can do burger all about it.
  • bazzer2
    Why? Does it upset you to view it?

Actually, I'm pretty annoyed you've done this. What I posted was not a rant.
  • Grill
    The fact that you're annoyed by this just illustrates how overly sensitive you are. Man up bro, it's not like the dude threw a wrench.
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    Good title change thank you. I was getting pretty bored of people making a new thread for what is quite a common occurrence.
  • bazzer2
    Oh, so that's alright then, it wasn't a wrench.

Except next time it might be if people justify it and mitigate it instead of taking action.

Sorry to have bored you with something so trivial.
  • lol @ buckie - true enough, on another day I'd have been licking the ketchup off my shoulder to get me over the last hill on the way home :) I'd have preferred a musette handing over though!
  • Strith
    Strith Posts: 541
    So did you go see 5-0? what did they say?
  • lawrences wrote:
    Good title change thank you. I was getting pretty bored of people making a new thread for what is quite a common occurrence.

I merged two topics and that's the result... :roll:
    Ideally I would like people to use only this thread for general rants of this kind... it works in the commuting section, it should work in the road section too
    left the forum March 2023