Rudy Project Rydons & watering eyes...

Secteur
Secteur Posts: 1,971
edited December 2013 in Road general
Sorry if this is a little pathetic, but I just wanted some advice!

I have worn full frame Oakley Jawbones for the last 2 years, and never had an episode of eye-watering, even on the coldest, windiest days.

I got some Rydons for Xmas and have suffered terribly on every ride this week with them - major tearing and blurred vision and today came home with quite sore bloodshot eyes which are still raw a couple of hours later. The problem is obviously worse on descents, but was happening whenever there was wind - even on climbs!

I imagine this isn't a widespread problem, or they wouldn't be so popular, so it it just my head shape or something?! (Which I don't consider to be abnormal, but the way!!) Or is it common, and people just accept and get used to it. I have just noticed a massive difference (for the worse) compared to the full framed Jawbones.

Is there anything I can do to improve things, or should I send them back for a refund now?! Which would be a shame as I bought some accessories for various other shops which would all need returning too, and I do rather like the style and have grown bored of the now "old fashioned" looking jawbones (very superficial, I know!) (the jawbones were a nightmare for sliding down my nose constantly - at least the Rydons stay perfectly in place)

Comments

• gave up on expensive cycle/sport glasses - total waste of money IMO, and a total marketing joke.

All about fit and shape- the Rudys will be letting draft in from either underneath or drawing air from the sides and out of the top. This makes your eyes water.

I now settle for some Safety glasses by Bolle. About £10, UV Protection, wide viewing angles, crash/projectile protection, look good, Fit me perfect and are cheap.
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    They obviously don't fit your face. (I don't get that problem with them myself, although I don't like them for other reasons).

I'd sell them if I was you, unless the retailer has some no quibble returns policy and accept them back used.
  • mfin
    gave up on expensive cycle/sport glasses - total waste of money IMO, and a total marketing joke.

Well done.
  • Secteur
    mfin wrote:
    I'd sell them if I was you, unless the retailer has some no quibble returns policy and accept them back used.

I'd hope they'd accept a return, given that how could you know they're ok until you try them out on a ride. I understand this isnt great for the online seller, but how else could you know before buying?

Anyway we'll see...

I am beginning to think I am susceptible to "hype" and I bought them purely based on the name and the design. I expect if I'd seen them in Lidl for £10 I'd have scoffed (shamefully!), so I know there's a lot of marketing.

Although, I must say, their ImpactX photochromic lenses are spectacularly good in terms of "image clarity" and variable light transmission - I doubt a £10 pair would be quite that good, but then who needs all the bells and whistles (other than the pro's)... (but that's not why we buy daft fancy cycling gear, is it LOL)
  • mfin
    Secteur wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I'd hope they'd accept a return, given that how could you know they're ok until you try them out on a ride. I understand this isnt great for the online seller, but how else could you know before buying?

Anyway we'll see...

I am beginning to think I am susceptible to "hype" and I bought them purely based on the name and the design. I expect if I'd seen them in Lidl for £10 I'd have scoffed (shamefully!), so I know there's a lot of marketing.

Although, their ImpactX photochromic lenses are spectacularly good in terms of "image clarity" and variable light transmission, and I doubt a £10 pair would have that, but they who needs all the bells and whistles... (but that's not why we buy daft fancy cycling gear, is it LOL)

Up to you if you want to send something back used, I'd never do it unless they state that you can. You'll get away with it though even if they don't, it's just a moral thing I suppose.
  • Secteur
    mfin wrote:

Up to you if you want to send something back used, I'd never do it unless they state that you can. You'll get away with it though even if they don't, it's just a moral thing I suppose.

Ahh, you accuse me of having poor moral judgement? This thread seems to be going sideways, doesn't it?

What should I have done? Does anyone lend out these glasses so I could have tried them first? I dont have money to burn, so I cant do anything other than return them, can I? I could sell them as you suggest and perhaps only lose £50, perhaps more. There isnt a mark on them, and I am sure the shop will inspect for that.

What would you have done?
  • turnerjohn
    turnerjohn Posts: 1,069
    I've had the same problem with Rydons when its really really cold and yes its due to air flow however I also get steamy glasses (oohh eeerr !) when I'm going hard so with the air flow they "de-steam" very quickly so IMHO their worth it.
    You could try with the fit; the nose piece is very adjustable as are the arms - try getting them to sit lower on your nose and closer to your face....could be all thats needed
  • FatTed
    FatTed Posts: 1,205
    I found the Rydons did not fit my face so got the same problem as you. Oakley's work for me as did Tifosi, but the Rudy Project and Oakleys hve better lenses.
  • Anti-Fog / Quick De-misting is also a load of marketing bollocks.
    Its basically ventilation to stop water condensing, hence why de-misting happens fast once your going (and why you might get air in your eyes).

Also paying more for "lense quality" is also bollocks - Bolle Safety glasses are manufactured to Optical Class 1 - Continuous Work yet you can pick them up for less than a tenner.

Seriously wouldn't pay for any more than Safety glasses now. They are lighter too and just as comfortable.

I currently use these: http://www.bolle-safety.com/safety-spec ... ur-contesp
    Can also get them in metal. http://www.bolle-safety.com/safety-spec ... l-contmpsf
  • mfin
    Secteur wrote:
    mfin wrote:

Ahh, you accuse me of having poor moral judgement? This thread seems to be going sideways, doesn't it?

What should I have done? Does anyone lend out these glasses so I could have tried them first? I dont have money to burn, so I cant do anything other than return them, can I? I could sell them as you suggest and perhaps only lose £50, perhaps more. There isnt a mark on them, and I am sure the shop will inspect for that.

I didn't really state you had poor moral judgement. As you ask, personally I would ask if I can return them telling them I have used them and let them decide if they want them back. If they didn't, I'd sell them on. (If they have a no quibble returns policy for letting people try things, it wouldn't matter obviously).
  • Dunno about blurred vision but when I got my Rydons (first/only pair of cycling glasses, so nothing to compare to), first thing I noticed was a somewhat distorted vision. Basically everything was perfectly clear, but I appeared to be higher up on the bike than I really was. Fast forward several weeks with me using the glasses daily... then one day it starts raining, so I take the glasses off and suddenly I'm incredibly close to the ground, all the cars look somewhat squished, etc... took some getting used to. I don't know if all glasses are like this or just the Rydons - I assume all, and that it's due to the curvature of the lenses.

As far as watering eyes, can't say I've noticed it really except for the relatively few times I go high 30's/40, at those times I do get watery eyes. I may possibly experience it in cross winds as well, can't remember. I have a relatively thin face, so suspect those with thicker faces will probably have less issue with wind as there may be less space between the bottom of the lenses and the face.
  • antfly
    antfly Posts: 3,276
    Dunno about blurred vision but when I got my Rydons (first/only pair of cycling glasses, so nothing to compare to), first thing I noticed was a somewhat distorted vision. Basically everything was perfectly clear, but I appeared to be higher up on the bike than I really was. Fast forward several weeks with me using the glasses daily... then one day it starts raining, so I take the glasses off and suddenly I'm incredibly close to the ground, all the cars look somewhat squished, etc... took some getting used to. I don't know if all glasses are like this or just the Rydons - I assume all, and that it's due to the curvature of the lenses.

My glasses {Bolle Vortex and Specialized Helix} most certainly aren't like that.

If the shop isn't interested in taking back used but unsatisfactory goods, then the OP should contact Rydon with his problem and find out what their customer service is like.
    Smarter than the average bear.
  • Anonymous
    Anonymous Posts: 79,667
    gave up on expensive cycle/sport glasses - total waste of money IMO, and a total marketing joke.

Out of interest and for comparison, what expensive cycle/sport glasses did you have and what happened to them?
  • Secteur
    mfin wrote:
    Secteur wrote:
    mfin wrote:

I didn't really state you had poor moral judgement. As you ask, personally I would ask if I can return them telling them I have used them and let them decide if they want them back. If they didn't, I'd sell them on. (If they have a no quibble returns policy for letting people try things, it wouldn't matter obviously).

I can honestly sai that this is exactly what I had intended to do - to send them back in mint condition with all packaging and an explanation that they just aren't right. It genuinely hadnt crossed my mind to do otherwise.

In any case, the same thing happened on the first half of todays ride, so I stopped and slipped the arms UNDER my hat / helmet straps and hey-presto, so more drafts - they're prefect!

So, dilemma over :-)
  • Carbonator wrote:

Out of interest and for comparison, what expensive cycle/sport glasses did you have and what happened to them?

First ever expensive pair I got was some Oakley glasses as a Chistmas present - Think they were called Radius or Radar??. That was probably 6-7 years ago. They were stolen :( .

I had a Pair of Spiuk's that were actually not that bad but they lost the coating after a countless of in and out of pockets etc. Rim was too think IMO.

Cheapest pair was my last buy of Dhb's from Wiggle (£40). Still have them but no longer use, Cheap but not as much all-round vision as the Bolle Safety specs I'm currently using.

In terms of fit and viewing, the Bolle glasses are the best I have had.
  • Secteur wrote:
    I got some Rydons for Xmas and have suffered terribly on every ride this week with them - major tearing and blurred vision and today came home with quite sore bloodshot eyes which are still raw a couple of hours later. The problem is obviously worse on descents, but was happening whenever there was wind - even on climbs!

I had a thread on this last year when I switched to Rydons and kept losing contact lenses when they blew out in crosswinds. I came from much fuller Oakleys too, but mine were M-Frames

Since last year have lost a total of 5 contact lenses, 4 when I initially got the Rydons and only one lost since. I guess I have just got used to them now. My advice is stick with them for a while longer
  • goonz
    goonz Posts: 3,106
    I suffer from very watery eyes and my Salice werent cutting it in winter so recently bought a pair of Oakley Wind Jackets. Slightly smaller frames than Jawbones but similar shape. These come with a rubber wind gasket that fits on the frame and creates a air seal fo my eyes. In the windiest weather I suffer no problems at all with wind and they only slightly fog up when I come to a stop.

Best purchase I have made and I dont care how sily I look cycling around with skiing goggles on but they do the trick.
    Scott Speedster S20 Roadie for Speed
    Specialized Hardrock MTB for Lumps
    Specialized Langster SS for Ease
    Cinelli Mash Bolt Fixed for Pain
    n+1 is well and truly on track
    Strava http://app.strava.com/athletes/1608875