Solo air fork questions

declan1
declan1 Posts: 2,470
edited December 2013 in MTB workshop & tech
Hello!

I got a Rockshox XC-32 solo air for Christmas and love it so far!

I have set it up so there is 25% sag, however it goes through all of its travel very easily - I can bottom it out with hard braking and by pushing down on the front while riding.

Is this normal? If it's not is there anything I can do to make the travel more progressive?

Also, the rebound adjuster knob doesn't move - I can push it in a little way and it comes back out again, but I can barely turn it at all! Any suggestions?

Thanks!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.

Comments

• DCR00
    DCR00 Posts: 2,160
    How did you measure the sag?

Sounds like you are running more than what you think
  • jimothy78
    jimothy78 Posts: 1,407
    declan1 wrote:
    I have set it up so there is 25% sag, however it goes through all of its travel very easily - I can bottom it out with hard braking and by pushing down on the front while riding.
    Double check that you've got the right sag, but assuming you have, then it could be you need more compression damping. Which version do you have - crown adjust or remote? If you have remote adjust set up with a standard poploc, then there's not much you can do other than check the amount of oil in the compression unit is right, but if you have either crown-adjust or remote with poploc-adjust, then you can set a bit more compression damping using the dial.
    Also, the rebound adjuster knob doesn't move - I can push it in a little way and it comes back out again, but I can barely turn it at all! Any suggestions?
    Thanks!
    They're sometimes a bit stiff, but you should be able to turn it - try both ways in case it's set at the limit in one direction already. Alternatively, pull out the adjuster knob and use an allen key of the same size, which will give you a bit more leverage. You'll probably find it frees up a bit once you've got it moving.
  • declan1
    Thanks for the replies! It's brand new so I presume the oil levels are correct!

The lockout is the remote lever which you push up to lockout and press a button to release it.

I'm pretty sure the sag is set correctly, but would it perhaps be an idea to add more pressure so it doesn't bottom out all the time?

The rebound turns a little bit if I press it in and turn it, but it's smooth.

My dad has a Recon Gold solo air which is much better - it ramps up at the end of the travel and the rebound works - I can't see what's different apart from the damper.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    if you are bottoming out pressing the brake then you don't have enough air in it.

if knobs don't move then return the fork, don't force them incase you brake something
  • declan1
    Right, I've upped the pressure to 120psi, which has 20% sag. It feels really nice at 140psi but there's literally no sag at all.

The rebound adjuster still doesn't work. I don't know what's wrong with it, or perhaps I'm being stupid?

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Cqc
    Cqc Posts: 951
    some shitty old manitou air shock on an old bike in my garage is set to ~3% sag and yet it compresses easily- at 25% sag it blows through its travel when I place a book on it (exaggeration but you get what I mean). Try 140psi out on the trails one day, and if it feels not to bumpy but still springs around, then leave it at that. I don't think it will, but if it feels good at 2% sag then what's the problem?
  • declan1
    Cqc wrote:
    some sh!tty old manitou air shock on an old bike in my garage is set to ~3% sag and yet it compresses easily- at 25% sag it blows through its travel when I place a book on it (exaggeration but you get what I mean). Try 140psi out on the trails one day, and if it feels not to bumpy but still springs around, then leave it at that. I don't think it will, but if it feels good at 2% sag then what's the problem?

The problem with 2% sag is when you ride over a dip in the trail, the entire front end will drop into it instead of just the wheel, especially on corners where I'll end up falling off ;)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• DCR00
    Are you setting sag using the recommended pressure, or by sitting on the bike?
  • Cqc
    DCR00 wrote:
    I'm sure you meant this but ur meant to do it standing for the fork
  • declan1
    DCR00 wrote:

I'm setting it by standing on the bike in a central position. The recommended pressures seem too low.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• Cqc
    Can't you add grease or oil somewhere to make it more progressive?
  • declan1
    Cqc wrote:

I have no idea. I don't really want to take it apart yet as it's brand new and I have no idea what I'm doing with forks. When it needs a service I might send it off to a place that can tune it :)

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• supersonic
    supersonic Posts: 82,708
    If it doesn't work contact the place of sale, sounds like the rebound adjuster has seized. Could also be a faulty air cart.
  • Cqc wrote:

No not on a Solo air.
  • declan1
    supersonic wrote:
    If it doesn't work contact the place of sale, sounds like the rebound adjuster has seized. Could also be a faulty air cart.

Only problem is I got it as a gift from bike-components.de so it would take a long time and a lot of money/hassle sending it back. The adjuster can be pushed in and it comes back out slowly. It sometimes moves when it's pushed in, sometimes not. The adjuster on my dad's Recon works perfectly - it clicks and turns nicely!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• cooldad
    cooldad Posts: 32,599
    Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the rebound adjuster the red capped (or whatever colour) allen key on the bottom. It doesn't push in, just turns.
    I don't do smileys.

There is no secret ingredient - Kung Fu Panda

London Calling on Facebook

Parktools
  • declan1
    cooldad wrote:
    Maybe I'm missing something, but isn't the rebound adjuster the red capped (or whatever colour) allen key on the bottom. It doesn't push in, just turns.

Hmmm. This is different to my dad's one, but it definitely pushes in. I've tried pulling it off, but I don't want to break it :(

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• poah
    poah Posts: 3,369
    declan1 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

Hmmm. This is different to my dad's one, but it definitely pushes in. I've tried pulling it off, but I don't want to break it :(

what does the manual say
  • declan1
    POAH wrote:
    declan1 wrote:
    cooldad wrote:

what does the manual say

Sod all. It's rubbish.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

• DCR00
    lets have some pics

certainly my experience of rebound adjusters, they dont screw into anything

as for the sag issue, are you upright in the "attack" position on the bike i.e. leaning slightly forwards, arms slightly bent ?

if you are merely upright when recording the sag, this will not give you the same reading as you would be if you were riding the bike. So you record 25% sag when upright, but in fact this is more like 28% when you are riding, hence why you are blowing through the travel.

are you also recording the sag with all the kit you would normally wear on the bike ? ive made this mistake in the past, recording the sag whilst dressed in shorts and t-shirt, then getting on the bike with a full backpack and water bladder and wondering why the bike doesnt feel right
  • declan1
    DCR00 wrote:
    lets have some pics

certainly my experience of rebound adjusters, they dont screw into anything

as for the sag issue, are you upright in the "attack" position on the bike i.e. leaning slightly forwards, arms slightly bent ?

if you are merely upright when recording the sag, this will not give you the same reading as you would be if you were riding the bike. So you record 25% sag when upright, but in fact this is more like 28% when you are riding, hence why you are blowing through the travel.

are you also recording the sag with all the kit you would normally wear on the bike ? ive made this mistake in the past, recording the sag whilst dressed in shorts and t-shirt, then getting on the bike with a full backpack and water bladder and wondering why the bike doesnt feel right

Just going out for a ride now with the shock pump so I'll hopefully get the pressure right! I'll take some pics when I get back of the rebound adjuster. Thanks for the help!

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred