which lens is the best for riding from 5 am to 12?

insanibasha
insanibasha Posts: 25
edited December 2013 in Road general
which lens is the best for riding from 5 am where it is a bit dark till about 12 where it is crazy hot and bright. I need new lenses for my rudy project rydon and i'm joining this tour next week, sooo what is the best lens?

Comments

• yellow
    left the forum March 2023
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    Yellow lenses are great for low light but not at all good for "Crazy hot and bright" im not sure if there is a lens that can cater for such constrasting conditions.
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • Monty Dog
    Monty Dog Posts: 20,614
    Rudy Project Photoclear?
    Make mine an Italian, with Campagnolo on the side..
  • Beave
    Beave Posts: 31
    I wear / supply Yellow lense safety glasses at work for when working inside under low light conditions and they`re great for that as they intensify light levels , I wouldn't dream of wearing them outside in bright conditions for prolonged periods unless I really wanted to damage my eyes .
    A Photocromic reactor lense is probably the nearest you will get to a one lense does all but I don't know how well they would work going from one extreme to the other .
    Personally id just have two pairs of shades , If your wanting to do it abit on the cheap then I would get a pair of yellow or clear lense Bolle safety glasses just for the few early dark hours and then switch to your Rubys with a decent quality dark polarised lense when the light levels are up enough
  • Beave wrote:
    I wear / supply Yellow lense safety glasses at work for when working inside under low light conditions and they`re great for that as they intensify light levels , I wouldn't dream of wearing them outside in bright conditions for prolonged periods unless I really wanted to damage my eyes .

That's utter nonsense... a lens is a filter and as such it cannot intensify light, it can only remove a portion... a yellow lens will cut off a portion of the sun spectrum around 400-500 nm... the material itself (glass or polycarbonate) will cut off the UV (under 400 nm), so you are left with a portion of the spectrum (> 500 nm) which is the least energetic and the least harmful. Green looks greener, but that doesn't mean that more light hits your eyes...
  • Beave
    Beave Posts: 31
    Before telling people they are speaking utter nonsense id strongly suggest doing abit of research first .
    Yellow/Amber lense glasses cuts out the blue light making the dark light levels appear brighter therefore intensifying any natural light levels . When using Yellow/Amber lenses the glare of direct sunlight is far far brighter as the lense exaggerates yellow light which in turn will damage your eyesight .
    Wait till the brighter months and then wear a pair all day outside in bright sunshine on a ride and let me know what your eyes are feeling like after that .
    I wear Safety glasses of all kinds all day long and have this kind of stuff drummed into me from all manner of H and S advisors that I have to deal with most days so I think im in a fairly good position to comment on what works and what doesn't and what I should or shouldn't be wearing . Also bear in mind a lot of Yellow lense glasses don't offer full protection from UV but I guess you know this already
  • It is utter nonsense. It filters(removes) some of the wavelengths of light to make things seem brighter. It will improve contrast as does a "orangey" colour filter.

Light cannot be "intensified" or "exaggerated". Yellow/Amber will not damage your eyesight anymore than not wearing any filter in front of them at all.

You are not in any position to give advise on eye health matters. You are of course entitled to your opinion on what lens filters you like, from 21 years of experience as a Dispensing Optician people are very personal with regard to this.
  • Beave wrote:
    Wait till the brighter months and then wear a pair all day outside in bright sunshine on a ride and let me know what your eyes are feeling like after that .

I don't need to wait for the brighter months, I have been using yellow lenses for the past 4 years, including trips to sunny Italy. The amount of light that hit your eyes is less than using clear lenses or no lenses... saying that yellow lenses will damage eyesight is nonsense, I'm afraid... bit like saying that older fluorescent bulbs would damage your eyes... a polarised lens is better, we all agree, but it won't be of great use at 5 AM in the morning
  • sungod
    sungod Posts: 16,551
    just use clear, aside from the, rare, summer days, there's no real need for tinted lens in uk, just looks cooler

if glare from low sun is a problem, wear a cap under your helmet

as above, any tinted lens reduces light, clear gives best vision in low light, if it's misty/foggy then contrast enhancement may be useful, but i've tried clear and yellow, still prefer clear

if you're in another country where it actually gets bright enought to justify a tinted lens at this time of year, use tinted, if it's too dark to see, stow the glasses on your helmet until it's light enough to wear them - if there's decent street lighting you can wear them anyway
    my bike - faster than god's and twice as shiny
  • i've been wearing yellow lenses on the bike for the last 12 years or so, at all times of the day, in all weathers, including two weeks cycling around greece.

on the mtb i only wear yellow.

on the road i have photochromics.
    --
    Burls Ti Tourer for Tarmac, Saracen aluminium full suss for trails
  • declan1
    declan1 Posts: 2,470
    Beave wrote:
    Before telling people they are speaking utter nonsense id strongly suggest doing abit of research first .
    Yellow/Amber lense glasses cuts out the blue light making the dark light levels appear brighter therefore intensifying any natural light levels . When using Yellow/Amber lenses the glare of direct sunlight is far far brighter as the lense exaggerates yellow light which in turn will damage your eyesight .
    I wear Safety glasses of all kinds all day long and have this kind of stuff drummed into me from all manner of H and S advisors that I have to deal with most days so I think im in a fairly good position to comment on what works and what doesn't and what I should or shouldn't be wearing . Also bear in mind a lot of Yellow lense glasses don't offer full protection from UV but I guess you know this already

Merry Christmas, and sorry. Perhaps you'd like to go back to school before you start an argument.

Any lens on glasses is only going to remove light. As mentioned above, polycarbonate lenses remove most of the harmful UV rays and a small amount of visible light too. The yellow filter only looks brighter as it reduces the amount of other colors that can pass through the lens - the amount of light passing through is still less than it would be with no glasses.

Road - Dolan Preffisio
    MTB - On-One Inbred

I have no idea what's going on here.
  • dread_i1
    dread_i1 Posts: 178
    +1 for clear lenses, generally in the uk (well for me in and around the Hampshire downs) even in the summer the amount of time spent in and out of trees there is no need for anything else considering the amount of pot holes, cracks, generally poor road surfaces etc.

Also agree totally that yellow lenses are fine to wear at all times, after spending several seasons snowboarding/skiing some days would start with real low light so I'd opt for a yellow lens but would clear up mid day and instead of changing a lens would carry on riding and at no time would I feel any discomfort even with the intensified light levels of being surrounded by snow.
  • vfast1
    vfast1 Posts: 98
    I find it absolutley pathetic that people on here resort to starting arguments over almost every single post. The OP asked a simple question and yet there's always some dickhead that mouths off at someone along the way. Grow up.

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Winter Road - 2014 Boardman Sport
    MTB - 2012 Canyon Nerve XC 7
    Summer Road - 2012 Cannondale Supersix 105 Liquigas Colours
  • vfast1 wrote:
    I find it absolutley pathetic that people on here resort to starting arguments over almost every single post. The OP asked a simple question and yet there's always some dickhead that mouths off at someone along the way. Grow up.

MERRY CHRISTMAS

You miss the point, nobody is arguing, but it is important to get things right when someone post some wrong and misleading information.

As for you, use that word again on here and you'll get a ban as a Christmas present... :wink:
  • k-dog
    k-dog Posts: 1,652
    As already said there isn't one lens which will do all that especially well.

I've got photochromic Oakley lenses (prescription too) which are fantastic. I just put them on when I put my helmet on and no matter the time of day they work.

Had them a couple of years and the lenses are getting a bit marked but I'm going to replace them with the same thing.
    I'm left handed, if that matters.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    vfast1 wrote:

MERRY CHRISTMAS
    Bit of an own goal there innit?
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.