Earphones while riding...

cmhill79
cmhill79 Posts: 138
edited December 2013 in Road general
Saw a road cyclist out yesterday with earphones in both ears, presumably hooked up to iPod/ iPhone...seems incredibly dangerous and possibly illegal?
«1

Comments

  • Dangerous but I don't think it's illegal.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    why is it dangerous?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • StillGoing
    StillGoing Posts: 5,211
    Strewth here we go again. Again. :roll:
    I ride a bike. Doesn't make me green or a tree hugger. I drive a car too.
  • tonye_n
    tonye_n Posts: 832
    maddog 2 wrote:
    why is it dangerous?
    Oh jaesus!!.... Because it compromises your ability to hear whats going on around you and react in time.
    Why is it so difficult for some peeps to grasp this simple logic?
  • Bozman
    Bozman Posts: 2,518
    :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: ................................ :roll:
  • Ok I'll admit it. What do you want me to do now? Report to my local cop shop?
  • robz400
    robz400 Posts: 160
    Been riding daily listening to music for 10 years nows.

    No more dangerous at all if you are aware. What about deaf people
  • gozzy
    gozzy Posts: 640
    edited December 2013
    If my hearing aid batteries go flat on a ride its not much fun, but I can still manage perfectly well. Having said that, while I still can, I wouldn't choose to ride without being able to hear.
  • mpatts
    mpatts Posts: 1,010
    I sing. Today is a selection of show tunes.
    Insert bike here:
  • Beave
    Beave Posts: 31
    I wear earphones all the time and I cant say its ever endangered my life by doing so .
    What exactly are we reacting too ? Its not like we`re quick enough to be able to get out of the way of any danger .
  • mfin
    mfin Posts: 6,729
    I didn't realise taking away one of your key senses will never affect your safety at all. Perhaps it's not worth looking where you're going either.

    To be fair, the danger has got to be a bit proportional to how busy the roads are, most accidents happen when there is a lot of traffic.
  • maddog 2
    maddog 2 Posts: 8,114
    Why is it so difficult for some peeps to grasp this simple logic

    er, because it's not logical. Your 'logic' suggests you can hear an accident coming and react accordingly. I seriously doubt you can.

    It may feel safer to hear what's going on. But that doesn't mean it is safer. You say your hearing allows you to 'react to what's happening' but what does that mean? Give me an example. What did you hear, just before an accident? And what would you/I do if you/I heard it? Steer into a hedge?
    Facts are meaningless, you can use facts to prove anything that's remotely true! - Homer
  • OH
    GOD
    PLEASE
    NO
    IT'S
    XMAS!!!!
  • Paul 8v
    Paul 8v Posts: 5,458
    OH
    GOD
    PLEASE
    NO
    IT'S
    XMAS!!!!
    This ^^^^^^
  • LOL, I love these headphone threads. If I ride with my music at full blast coming out of my phone I still hear cars that are about 20m behind me. Without headphones that extends to maybe 25m out. Not much of a difference, and I enjoy the ride more. Do you also refuse to listen to music in the car?
  • Beave
    Beave Posts: 31
    Maybe we could also ask the wind to stop blowing so that doesn't distort our hearing aswell
  • Did they have a helmet on?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • upperoilcan
    upperoilcan Posts: 1,180
    I always have my ipod on when riding,there is nothing like living on the edge. :wink:
    Cervelo S5 Ultegra Di2.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I prefer Living On The Ceiling, especially if it's raining.
  • I listen to Blancmange as well. Great retro music.
  • NeXXus
    NeXXus Posts: 854
    tonye_n wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    why is it dangerous?
    Oh jaesus!!.... Because it compromises your ability to hear whats going on around you and react in time.
    Why is it so difficult for some peeps to grasp this simple logic?
    So what if I drive my car with the windows up and radio on?
    And the people bowed and prayed, to the neon god they made.
  • john1967
    john1967 Posts: 366
    NeXXus wrote:
    tonye_n wrote:
    maddog 2 wrote:
    why is it dangerous?
    Oh jaesus!!.... Because it compromises your ability to hear whats going on around you and react in time.
    Why is it so difficult for some peeps to grasp this simple logic?
    So what if I drive my car with the windows up and radio on?

    1.you have a full range of mirrors to see whats behind you.
    2.if you do make a mistake based on not hearing other traffic you probably wont die or be seriously injured(unless it was a high speed error)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    OP... I see that you have only made 74 posts which makes you a comparative newcomer around here. There are three subjects that come up every few weeks. They are 1) wearing helmets, 2) red light jumping, 3) using headphones
    It really isn't worth bringing up any of these or even expressing an opinion. It will only end in tears...

    Merry Christmas
  • Each to their own I suppose, but I love both music and cycling and combining the two using headphones would take away much of the pleasure of both for me. To me, much of the joy of getting outside and riding my bike is the feeling of being immersed in my environment. A feeling that is lost when inside a car for example. Why would you want to isolate yourself from that?

    Regarding safety, it would be interesting to know if there has been any sort of research into it as the instinctive reaction is surely that it will impair your awareness? My own feeling is that perhaps its more of an issue on quiet country roads where cars approaching from behind might catch you unawares. In town you're more likely to just be expecting traffic to be around you constantly. Whatever the facts, I think Boris should certainly be more worried about HGV's...

    Sorry, I'm also a relative newcomer so this 'headphones' thread is a first for me.

    Merry Christmas!
  • Have deaf cyclists been given a mention yet?
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    What?
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    I wear earphones with music as loud as it will go so I don't have to hear people moaning when I shoot pass them at red lights. I got some really good noise cancelling ones using all the money I saved from not paying road tax.
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • I always wearearphones, I don't turn them up real loud, I can still hear birds singing, so I know I can hear whats going on around me. When its cold out on the bike lots of folks wear a buff or similar over their ears too! I think its just personl preference isn't it??? its your risk same as wearing a helmet and bright colored clothes or not
  • This reminds me of a schoolmate of mine, who during sixth form was convinced that because of the role of the ear on balance, logically it must be impossible to ride a bicycle at all when listening to music. :lol: