edited December 2013 in Road general
Mods, please delete.

Comments

• bazzer2
    bazzer2 Posts: 189
    Cut it in half and count the rings?
  • rolf_f
    rolf_f Posts: 16,015
    Why would it matter? If the software is updated and the hardware unchanged, the only relevant 'age' issue on a GPS unit is how well used it is. An early 500 that has lived its life in a box is going to be a better bet than a year old one that has been used day in and day out.

I daresay there is a serial number on it though. That might give a clue...

Or if bazzer2s solution doesn't work, carbon dating.
    Faster than a tent.......
  • Moominman2
    Moominman2 Posts: 389
    edited December 2013
    Mods, please delete.
  • cougie
    cougie Posts: 22,512
    Thin skin much ? ;-)

I think Rolf has it right to be honest - I'd check the appearance more than the age of it. Any scratches on it and I'd not bother.
  • Haha, seems it...

Ok thanks :)
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    Sorry, I thought it was a good answer... No I don't know the answer to you question. I assume garmin would have a record?
  • rolf_f
    Moominman2 wrote:
    I'm unaware if there was a system where you could date your garmin with the serial number online.

Sorry if I offended you with my obviously offensive question.

Why would you think I thought your question offensive?!

You probably can't date your garmin with the serial number online but I suppose if you posted most of the number, if they are in numeric order of manufacture date, then it might be possible to get a vague idea if others indicated if their numbers were not so far off. But it's more likely not to work than anything! But the point is that even if you find out the exact day of the week in what year the Garmin was manufactured, Garmin can't tell you what happened to it in the mean time.

People get hung up on time stats on here - they say things like "I only have to replace such and such once every four years" - unless they give some indication of what has happened over those four years then it pretty much means nothing. A pair of wheels might take decades to wear out if they only go out on sunny days but the same set, if they are used all year for high mileage commuting during the week and cyclocross at the weekends, might last a fraction of the time.

So the question 'why do you want to know' is relevant.
  • Mods, please delete.
  • Haha, I stupidly deleted it all before I wanted to check...

Typical! :)
  • chris_bass
    chris_bass Posts: 4,913
    this is a very weird thread!
    www.conjunctivitis.com - a site for sore eyes
  • rolf_f
    Moominman2 wrote:
    Haha, I stupidly deleted it all before I wanted to check...

Typical! :)

You need to get out of this habit of deleting everything!....
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    There's also the question of revisions - it's not unusual for a second or 3rd revision to be released of a bit of kit - not always easily identifiable - so knowing the age of the kit can be handy if there is the possibility of it being an older hardware revision.

Then, in any kit with non-removable batteries you've got the question of battery life - even a bit of kit sat in it's box unused will suffer from battery deterioration.

So perhaps it's not such a stupid question afterall?
  • bazzer2
    Who said it was a stupid question?

The battery is removable in these devices so that's a moot point also.
  • slowbike
    bazzer2 wrote:
    Who said it was a stupid question?

The battery is removable in these devices so that's a moot point also.

Is it? I can't remove it in my 800 ... thought the 500 was the same ...

Even if it is removable - you then need to know the age of the battery ...
  • bazzer2
    Ah, I *may* have been talking out of my rear there. I've just looked and although I suspect you can disassemble it, there's not an obvious way for a user to do this. Apologies - see post #2. :)
  • Thanks guys for the response. I deleted my comments because I was receiving replies I didn't ask for, being told that there's little or no poing in knowing. The mods refused to delete the thread so it's still here.

I appreciate your advice. That's handy to know!

Luke
  • slowbike
    bazzer2 wrote:
    Ah, I *may* have been talking out of my rear there. I've just looked and although I suspect you can disassemble it, there's not an obvious way for a user to do this. Apologies - see post #2. :)

You're not the first and won't be the last ... ;)
  • slowbike
    Moominman2 wrote:
    Thanks guys for the response. I deleted my comments because I was receiving replies I didn't ask for, being told that there's little or no poing in knowing. The mods refused to delete the thread so it's still here.

I appreciate your advice. That's handy to know!

Luke
    Luke - don't fret ... there is no harm in asking the question - any question at all - answers may seem obvious to others - but the first answer isn't always right - as in this case (although counting the rings could be fun) ...
  • Thanks mate. I thought it was a suitable question for what I was after haha