The full menu.

Who's cooking?
Will it be any good?
Pinno, מלך אידיוט וחרא מכונאי

Comments

• seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    I don't think we're having starters.
    Traditional roast. Mushy veg, burnt spuds, tinned carrots (how hard is it to cook a carrot!) watery gravy. The sausages in bacon are normally ok. A choice of Christmas pudding, trifle or profiteroles.

The mother in law.

No, it won't be any good.
  • daviesee
    daviesee Posts: 6,386
    edited December 2013
    1. The full monty by the wife. Turkey crown, silverside and ham with all the trimmings.
    2. Yes.

Followed by an aperitif or two and snoozing.

But on Boxing day as she is working Christmas. Nibbles and wine on Christmas night as I am preparing that day's meal. :lol:

Edit:- Forgot the rest of the Boxing Day dinner menu.
    Smoked salmon & king prawns for starter.
    Christmas pudding & cream, trifle, roulade and ice cream as desert, but not all at once.
    Much quaffing of red and white wine to match. Then armagnac and malts to finish. :P
    None of the above should be taken seriously, and certainly not personally.
  • Tinned carrots...wtf
  • ballysmate
    ballysmate Posts: 15,921
    No starter

Beef, pork, pigs in blankets, yorkshire pud, stuffing, spuds, roasters, roasted shallots, roasted parsnip, peas, carrots, cauli, sprouts, broccoli, maybe spring cabbage.

Xmas pud and custard.

Couple of glasses of port and a big snooze.
  • No turkey? Cauliflower and calabrese cheese too
  • Beatmaker
    Beatmaker Posts: 1,092
    I'll be cooking.

Simple prawn cocktail for starters, reminds me of my childhood.

Mains: Roast turkey, homemade sage and chestnut stuffing, homemade gravy, homemade bread sauce. Spiced red cabbage, pigs in blankets, sugar roast parsnips, roast spuds, sprouts with bacon and chestnuts.

Dessert: Choice of pavlova or christmas pud (not homemade).

This will be my reward to surviving Finnish Christmas on Christmas Eve, with such delicacies as Liver Casserole (a liver dish consisting of liver, rice, syrup, sugar and raisins - I kid you not).
  • Mikey23
    Mikey23 Posts: 5,306
    No starter. Turkey and stuffing, roast spuds and parsnips, bread sauce, pigs in blankets, sprouts, swede, carrots and gravy. Home made Christmas pud and cream. Missus usually has free rein on Christmas Day although I would cook if needed. I generally do the labouring jobs, plenty of washing up and keep her topped up with cooking sherry or baileys

Will be just the three of us this year and it will be excellent
  • arran77
    arran77 Posts: 9,260
    Traditional turkey with all the trimmings probably 'ponced' up a bit because it's being cooked by my sister in laws husband who is French and a chef :wink: Just leave it alone FFS, I want sprouts not sprouts with some other shite mixed in and then fried and I want proper gravy not some fancy jus :roll:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • seanoconn
    seanoconn Posts: 11,318
    Beatmaker wrote:
    I'll be cooking.

Simple prawn cocktail for starters, reminds me of my childhood.

Mains: Roast turkey, homemade sage and chestnut stuffing, homemade gravy, homemade bread sauce. Spiced red cabbage, pigs in blankets, sugar roast parsnips, roast spuds, sprouts with bacon and chestnuts.

Dessert: Choice of pavlova or christmas pud (not homemade).

This will be my reward to surviving Finnish Christmas on Christmas Eve, with such delicacies as Liver Casserole (a liver dish consisting of liver, rice, syrup, sugar and raisins - I kid you not).
    By the time all the present exchanging is done and dusted, I'm pretty sure I can make Chester in time for dinner. What time's kick off? I'll bring wine :D
  • slowmart
    slowmart Posts: 4,474
    I'll be cooking the full monty, plus a vegetarian offering for my wife.

I really enjoy it. :D
    “Give a man a fish and feed him for a day. Teach a man to fish and feed him for a lifetime. Teach a man to cycle and he will realize fishing is stupid and boring”

Desmond Tutu
  • arran77
    Slowmart wrote:
    I'll be cooking the full monty, plus a vegetarian offering for my wife.

I really enjoy it. :D

A veggie offering just means no turkey or pigs in blankets doesn't it :wink:
    "Arran, you are like the Tony Benn of smut. You have never diluted your depravity and always stand by your beliefs. You have my respect sir and your wife my pity" :lol:

seanoconn
  • VTech
    VTech Posts: 4,736
    Last night found out we will be having turkey sandwiches on Brean Sands. Its a long sad story but I would rather have a full roast in front of the fire.
    Living MY dream.
  • Food, food and more food.
    Smoked Trout to start with various side bits
    Then I think we have beef, turkey and pork with all the trimmings (no sprouts on my plate though thank you)
    Christmas Cake (soaked in rum) or a selection of other little cakes that my wife has already prepared.
    Cheese and biscuits
    Coffee

followed by an afternoon playing Forza Motorsport 5 on the Xbox One

The wife

I would imagine so.
  • Monkeypump
    Monkeypump Posts: 1,528
    Smoked salmon to start, beef wellington (homemade) with roast spuds and veg for main, homemade chocolate fondants for pud. Me and Mrs MP do Christmas day on our own, so can be completely selfish.

Champagne with presents in the morning, wine with lunch, rum and snoozing in the afternoon.

Will roast a turkey and gammon later in the afternoon, ready for the main family get-together on boxing day. Will probably nick a few slices of each, along with cold roast spuds and hot pigs in blankets, for tea.

All cooked by me, and it should be great.

Can't wait!
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    Vegan for me. At a friend's house.

No idea what to expect but I'm sure it will be better than turkey.
  • Gratinated scallops in a savoury champagne sabayon for the first course. Main course is of course a turkey with honey roast parsnips, butter and star anise roast carrots, a chestnut and brussel sprout bake, fig chestnut and offal stuffing, and garlic and rosemary roast potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce and gravy etc... My sister is doing pudding, so I don't have a clue other than to make sure I get her a good present so she doesn't poison me :P The rest is down to me. If anyone sees a house on fire near the border of Staffordshire and Cheshire, I've burned something.
  • peat
    peat Posts: 1,242
    Beef this year. Breaking the mold as maverick renegades in the Peat household.
  • I am led to believe that it will be a fairly traditional roast turkey affair. Not me cooking this year as I'm still recovering from a broken neck, back and kneecap sustained when some daft old git hit me head on back in October. I'm staying with my daughter in Cardiff at the mo and will be transported over to Bristol on Xmas eve as she and her partner had already signed up for Xmas lunch with his parents. Whatever it is, I'm assured it will be very good and also plentiful.I am looking forward to it very much - it will certainly beat hospital food.
    Two wheels good,four wheels bad
  • VTech wrote:
    Last night found out we will be having turkey sandwiches on Brean Sands. Its a long sad story but I would rather have a full roast in front of the fire.

So we Shan't ask u about it then?
  • EAlcock94 wrote:
    Gratinated scallops in a savoury champagne sabayon for the first course. Main course is of course a turkey with honey roast parsnips, butter and star anise roast carrots, a chestnut and brussel sprout bake, fig chestnut and offal stuffing, and garlic and rosemary roast potatoes, homemade cranberry sauce and gravy etc... My sister is doing pudding, so I don't have a clue other than to make sure I get her a good present so she doesn't poison me :P The rest is down to me. If anyone sees a house on fire near the border of Staffordshire and Cheshire, I've burned something.

Philistine. Scallops should be au natural not arsed about with
  • Smoked Almond Tofu stuffed with herbs (roasted), stuffing, roasted root veg, spiced Red Cabbage, steamed greens and finally Christmas Pudding and Custard. Simple and clean. Yummy.
    tick - tick - tick
  • We're doing our first full-on all the families together Xmas dinner for 10 this year. My parents are bringing the starter and her folks are bringing desert. We're doing the booze and main. The sister's have got away with doing nowt!

2 geese (Nigel Slater's way)
    1 ham (Nigella style but minus the Peruvian)
    Red cabbage
    Stuffing (2 types)
    Roast spuds in the goose fat
    Glazed carrots
    Sprouts
    Piggies
    Gravy

Managed to get £110 worth of Tesco Finest booze for sod all thanks to double points on the vouchers so that was a score!
  • finally a goose.

turkey when the clan gathers with the usual accouterments, plus 3 kinds of stuffing plus sausagemeat, plus cauliflower cheese and turkey crackling
  • arran77
    finally a goose.

turkey when the clan gathers with the usual accouterments, plus 3 kinds of stuffing plus sausagemeat, plus cauliflower cheese and turkey crackling

I bet the airs thick in your place on Christmas Day afternoon :wink:

seanoconn
  • no we have an after lunch yomp around the grounds
  • arran77
    Ah, while the serv's clear up and get tiffin ready.

seanoconn
  • im not lunching at vtechs...more the pity.
  • o i forget neither is he, still waiting for the long story...come on vtech spill the beans
  • arran77
    o i forget neither is he, still waiting for the long story...come on vtech spill the beans

I was just about to say that :lol:

I'm sure if you ask nicely for us he'll tell us, he likes you :P

seanoconn
  • Dinner for nine.
    Turkey, Gammon, roast spuds, roast parsnips, carrots, mashed Swede, broccoli, a token sprout.
    The trimmings will be, bread sauce, cranberry, pigs in blankets, homemade chestnut stuffing and of course Yorkshire pud. The gravy will be thick enough to stand the spoon in.
    Cooked by me, it will (hopefully) be great.