Idiot in a van

jagx400
jagx400 Posts: 132
edited December 2013 in Road general
Having a good ride out today and while pedalling 2 a breast on an empty road past the royal show ground we heard the sound of a car/van behind us. Said idiot then started sounding his horn, so I slowed to pull in behind my fellow rider. Before I had chance to slow and pull in, the idiot in the van shot past and then deliberately swerved at us causing us both to veer sharply into the edge of the road. Only luck stopped us both falling off.

The van belonged to a company called Nu Swift. I looked them up and spoke to their customer services people and told them about the incident , they seemed concerned and will get back to me. What's the betting this moron still has a job at Christmas, if he worked for me he would be telling his kids why they cant have presents this year.

Just had to get this off my chest.

Comments

• hA448D40D

HOLD THE FRONT PAGES!!!!! "Man loses patience with cyclists shocker!"

In answer to your question though, unless his employer is a massive drama queen like you, I'd say the odds are very good that he'll still have a job at Christmas.

Some people are helmets, deal with it and move on.
  • gethinceri
    gethinceri Posts: 1,517
    I worked for Nu-Swift many years ago, they are a subsidiary of a multinational which manufactures and distributes fire extinguishers and related equipment.
    They were not the best employer I've had.
    Good luck.
  • CSB
    I'm sorry you don't believe in miracles
  • Some people are helmets, deal with it and move on.

So it's perfectly acceptable to use a vehicle as a weapon, and we should just shrug that off?
  • stueys
    stueys Posts: 1,332

So it's perfectly acceptable to use a vehicle as a weapon, and we should just shrug that off?

Nope, report to police and tell the company you've done so.
  • Some people are helmets, deal with it and move on.

He didn't actually use it as a weapon though did he? He swerved a bit and honked. The world is not going under.

If you get this worked up about small things, how do you survive the big bad world?
  • hA448D40D

In answer to your question though, unless his employer is a massive drama queen like you, I'd say the odds are very good that he'll still have a job at Christmas.

Got to say matey that reading this the biggest helmet could be you! The next time these pricks could kill someone, but nevermind hey, who wants to be a drama queen. Cretin.
  • How if he zoomed past at pace then manage to skilfully swerve to push you both off?

Was he behind you for some time before you dropped back ?

Was it national speed limit on that road? I wouldn't ride two abreast on a fast country road precisely because of drivers coming up fast from behind.

You were right to inform the company. Would have been great if you got the reg.

Van drivers are one of the worst road users. Total dicks.
  • hA448D40D

Yep, which is the reason iam not rising to your post.
  • snip

Got to say matey that reading this the biggest helmet could be you! The next time these pricks could kill someone, but nevermind hey, who wants to be a drama queen. Cretin.

Oh untwist your knickers sweetheart. :roll:

Some nobber barged his way past and swerved in the direction of a couple of cyclists. He didn't make an attempt on their lives. It's *maybe* worth an email to the company encouraging them to have a word if it makes OP feel better. Personally, I'd just shrug it off. Calling for him to be sacked is, as I previously said, a massive over reaction.

There is about as much point getting all upset and bleeding heart about it as there is arguing about it. So on that note, Merry Christmas ;)
  • jagx400
    Gethinceri wrote:
    I worked for Nu-Swift many years ago, they are a subsidiary of a multinational which manufactures and distributes fire extinguishers and related equipment.
    They were not the best employer I've had.
    Good luck.
    Dont think being nearly knocked off is being a drama queen, you, making comments like that make you sound like a pratt :D
  • jagx400
    How if he zoomed past at pace then manage to skilfully swerve to push you both off?

Was he behind you for some time before you dropped back ?

Was it national speed limit on that road? I wouldn't ride two abreast on a fast country road precisely because of drivers coming up fast from behind.

You were right to inform the company. Would have been great if you got the reg.

Van drivers are one of the worst road users. Total dicks.

He slammed the brakes on as he was going past and cut in

He was behind us for about 10 seconds

he had plenty of room to pass safely, He was being an arese.
  • jagx400
    Good thing is we are still here, Happy Christmas all.
  • cmhill79
    cmhill79 Posts: 138
    As others have said it's all a joke until someone is killed. I find commercial vehicles the worst when I'm cycling (and driving for that matter).
    In Australia cyclist and cars are starting to fit cameras to record this driver behavior which can then be taken to the police to prove said instances.
  • Some commercial vehicles are fitted with a sign saying “how’s my driving” with a contact telephone number.
    Never had to use this service before, presumably a process is initiated once the “how’s my driving “ hot line has been called.I wonder if anyone has have made a call to compliment a driver.
    Just calling to say “how moved I was, seeing one of your vans being driven with such care recently”
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    So a guy got angry and swerved a bit didn't hit you and you believe he no longer deserves his job. All these posts complaining about drivers just make me think you haven't been cycling for very long.
  • RiderUk wrote:
    Some commercial vehicles are fitted with a sign saying “how’s my driving” with a contact telephone number.
    Never had to use this service before, presumably a process is initiated once the “how’s my driving “ hot line has been called.

I asked a decent sized company once what happens when that call is received,

1518553_10153636061745254_1261199033_n.jpg
  • slowbike
    slowbike Posts: 8,498
    lawrences wrote:
    So a guy got angry and swerved a bit didn't hit you and you believe he no longer deserves his job. All these posts complaining about drivers just make me think you haven't been cycling for very long.

A guy got angry/frustrated and decided to use his vehicle to threaten/intimidate another road user - why should that be acceptable?
    If the guy regularly does that sort of thing then it heightens the chance of a serious accident with a cyclist and we all know it'll be the cyclist who comes off worse.

I can appreciate that anyone can get frustrated with other road users - but behaving in a way to cause danger to other road users is not a way to vent that frustration.
  • diamonddog
    diamonddog Posts: 3,426
    Slowbike wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

A guy got angry/frustrated and decided to use his vehicle to threaten/intimidate another road user - why should that be acceptable?
    If the guy regularly does that sort of thing then it heightens the chance of a serious accident with a cyclist and we all know it'll be the cyclist who comes off worse.

I can appreciate that anyone can get frustrated with other road users - but behaving in a way to cause danger to other road users is not a way to vent that frustration.
    ^^^+1 for this.
  • [img]https://i.chzbgr.com/maxW500/5341839104/hA44D/[g] HOLD THE FRONT PAGES!!!!! "Man loses patience with cyclists shocker!" In answer to your question though, unless his employer is a massive drama queen like you, I'd say the odds are very good that he'll still have a job at Christmas. Some people are helmets, deal with it and move on.[/img]

What a massively unpleasant response to a very legitimate concern. One of the most tw@ttish posts I've ever seen on here, which is some achievement.
    Naming and shaming poor behaviour by drivers of branded vans etc contributes to improving safety for all of us. Companies brand their vehicles as advertising and don't like it when they get to be associated with anything negative. It only takes one decision maker in a client company to read this and say "thats the last time I use Nu-Swift" to make them take notice.
  • It's because on UK roads this crap is so depressingly common that freaking out about it every time would see you permanently freaked out. Doesn't make it right, but it's just the way it is :(.

For whatever reason people can get very annoyed about the two-abreast thing. It's amazing how many people actually believe it's illegal.
  • jagx400
    lawrences wrote:

The people with me have been cycling 30 years plus.......Enough?
  • Totally unacceptable behaviour on the part of the van driver and I would definitely complain to the company. It's always worth looking at their web site in cases like this as most companies have guff about saety and protecting the environment and it is very satsfying to quote this back to them when complaining about standards of driving. In this case their motto is "working to keep you safe".
  • jagx400
    Dont know why I even bothered to vent my frustration on here. The usual prattish comments from the minority. As for losing his job, I know companys that would do just that to the driver as it affects their relationship with the public. If it had been your daughter/son, would you have said oh well get over it, I know i wouldn't have said that.
  • alidaf
    alidaf Posts: 147
    You were well within your rights to complain. But I hope he isn't fired because that could create a driver with a grudge against cyclists. Better to ask for a review of their training rather than punishment IMO. I hope you and your friends were unhurt and that it doesn't happen again or put you off your cycling.
  • joelsim
    joelsim Posts: 7,552
    There are plenty of decent people without jobs. Mr Angry Cnut should be sacked for not doing his job properly.
  • alidaf wrote:
    You were well within your rights to complain. But I hope he isn't fired because that could create a driver with a grudge against cyclists. Better to ask for a review of their training rather than punishment IMO. I hope you and your friends were unhurt and that it doesn't happen again or put you off your cycling.

Yes, also probably best not imprison any criminals in case it creates people with a grudge against policemen and judges.
  • slowbike
    alidaf wrote:

Doesn't sound like he needs much more encouragement anyway - at least if he's not driving a van he'll be doing less miles and have less chance of encountering cyclists.

Sacking for a first offence - no - but it might be one of several complaints ...
  • lawrences
    lawrences Posts: 1,011
    jagx400 wrote:
    lawrences wrote:

The people with me have been cycling 30 years plus.......Enough?

It's just that angry drivers aren't a new problem and they aren't going to go away. I find I enjoy cycling far more when I just ignore them or giving them a friendly wave then carrying on. Nothing will come from you complaining on the internet except constant anger while you're out on the road.
  • slowbike
    lawrences wrote:
    Nothing will come from you complaining on the internet except constant anger while you're out on the road.
    Nothing will come from doing nothing either - it'll just carry on.

So the question is - do we stick our heads in the sand and pretend it isn't happening or do we raise the profile of anti-social drivers and hope to use peer pressure to curb their antics?

You're right in part - we don't really want to spend all our time ranting about every dubious pass that is a common occurrence - you can post the video on youtube if you want to do that! ;) - but the ones that stick out as going just that little bit too far can be highlighted individually.
    If nothing else, posting on here allows the cycling community (well, those on here anyway) to explore the subject more.